Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How far out were you before you started to feel real hunger?

I am 2.5 weeks out and the first week that I was on just liquids I felt starving the whole week. I was really panicking. Then I started eating some purees and it was great, I felt full and rarely felt hungry. Now that my stomach seems to be used to the purees, I feel hungry again after like 2 hours. An example of what I ate for dinner - I small fish fillet, minced up. about 1-2 tablespoons pureed veggies with cheese. I was full straight after I ate at 7:30pm... it's now nearly 9:30 and I feel hungry again. This can't be normal, can it?

How far out from the op did you start feeling hunger again?

Hmmmm. hard to remember and it hasn't been that long. I don't remember feeling hungry at that time frame. I'm still not really hungry. Are you drinking your Water? Protein Shakes? That might help. Might also be "head hunger". Is your stomach physically growling? Just some thoughts.

Toward the end of the second week I started feeling hunger toward the end of the day. Some refried Beans blended into beef broth or consume took care of it. You need to restrict the amount of that you drink though. It is not as high in Protein as the shakes and it is a little high in carbohydrates.

Khy

Thanks guys :-)

I probably don't drink enough Water.... rrunning around after two little ones, by the time I remember to drink, it's too close to a meal time and I can't drink. But, just had a big glass of Water and tummy was still growling, so warmed up some more mashed veggies. I hope my sleeve is not too "big". If I am already feeling hunger this soon after my surgery, i am really concerned

I've been hungry the whole time, it never went away. It's manageable, though, because my plan is three meals and three Snacks per day, so by the time I'm hungry again, I can have something to eat.

What swizzy said. I feel hungry throughout the day but it doesn't matter because I eat a tiny bit and am totally full. Almost 7 months out I'm glad I get hungry because it makes me look forward to eating and act more normal socially. For me the restriction is a constant friend-I physically cannot overeat!

I feel hungry every 2 hours too. I just ate most of an egg, ham, cheese omelet (1 egg, 1 slice ham lunch meat, 1/8 cup shredded cheese). I quit eating because I felt like it was enough, but I still feel hunger. I don't want to put another bite in my mouth, but my stomach is still gnawing at me. Tuesday I'll be 5 weeks out, and I've felt hunger from the very beginning. I'm taking omeprazole (PPI), but today was my last pill, so I'm definitely going to buy something over the counter. I go back to the dr on Wednesday, so we will be having a heart-to-heart. lol

Are you on a PPI(acid reducer)? I went through the same thing except it was caused from overproduction of acid. I went on Prilosec 20mg once daily, and at over 2 years out I never experience true physical hunger.

Physical hunger? Never... Now head hunger and too much tummy acid, all the time. You just have to earn to distinguish what's what..I am over 8 months out, and have just 28 lbs to my goal.

My acid levels are good, have not had any problems thank god. And head hunger -- I don't think I'm having that, it feels like normal bog-standard hunger, like I had pre-op. It's not that big a deal, I can manage it -- would be awesome to not have any hunger though. Knowing me, I'd abuse it in an anorexic way. <_<

I dont have real hunger and I am 3 1/2 months out. I do have massive amounts of head hunger that I fight on a daily basis. I know the difference now because I tested myself. I didn't eat anything all day once except my morning shake and nothing, nada from the belly (I still drank all my fluids though).

I haven't felt real hunger at all since my surgery (which was 10 months ago). However I do feel my blood-sugar dropping if I miss a meal. To avoid this, I try to make sure to eat every 2 hours as I was instructed. For me, it's more a case of eating by the clock rather than my body telling me. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack is my plan every day and it works fine for me. I'm at goal weight now and have managed fo find the balance of not loosing any more and not gaining again. But hunger? Nope.....

I was really hungry about day 10 I mean to the point I couldn't sleep. I remember being so mad at someone for saying it was only head hunger and to deal with it. I talked to my dr and started pureed foods about a tablespoon at a time. Now I really don't get hungry. In fact if I am busy busy I will not even notice the time. I do have acid problems, I am on two meds for that. Now I am 10 weeks out and sometimes my tummy will growl and I know I need to put food in it. But most of the time I eat because I know it is time to eat. And I feel an empty feeling more than a hunger feeling. So around 2 or 3 hours I will eat one or two small squires of beef Jerky and I am good until my next meal.

I am now almost 8 weeks out and just now starting to feel physical hunger. I am taking my PPI and I have had problems with the stomach acid, so I know that is not what it is. I have also had head hunger and that is not it either. I have actual stomach grumbling hunger and it is letting me know it is time to eat. I was told by my doctor that I would not feel hunger. But my doctor has not had this surgery, I have, and I can tell the difference between stomach acid, head hunger and physical hunger from my stomach. I just eat a couple small spoons of cottage cheese and it goes away. I also know when I am thirsty and that is different also.

I am glad to have the hunger. I thought I would not feel normal the first few weeks after this surgery, but I am starting to feel normal again and am losing the weight. I just know when my off switch is now. I don't think I had an off switch before surgery. When I feel full, I quit eating. If I take one too many bites, I am usually sorry I did. It is amazing how we can retrain ourselves with this surgery.rolleyes.gif

Thanks for all the feedback guys - I really appreciate it. I really need to discover if it's head hunger or acid, cause I can easily go to bed without eating and then wake up in the morning and still not feel hungry. I guess it's all still a learning process and I am just learning what each feeling really feels like... or trying to anyway, lol.