Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

MIL opens mouth

I just had my WLS Tuesday. Today was Friday. I stopped by my in-laws house to drop some things off and talked a little bit with my mother-in-law. While there, she asked me how much I had lost. I told her I had gained weight (5 pounds) because of the IV Fluid, but I lost it all in a day and that I was the weight I was at when I went into surgery. This is 3 days after surgery.

Later, my husband talked to his parents. His mom commented on how I didn't look like I lost any weight yet.

My husband laughed about it. He couldn't believe his mom's unrealistic expectations. He told her it wasn't an overnight fix. (Yay hubby!)

I know my mil is dealing with her own issues. I've heard through my father-in-law that she is now considering weight loss surgery of her own. She has an investment in how I do, and I think she is kind of hoping I don't do well, so she has a reason not to have WLS.

I'm not concerned about her since I know what I have to do, but it is amazing the little digs people will get in even when they know better. I think what ticks me off most is that I had explained to her that very day that I had some weight gain because of IV fluids, but she was still being unrealistic and critical. I just think most of that was posturing for her husband who I think has been encouraging her a little too much for her liking to look into WLS.

Yeah my son, to whom I had not explained much, asked the day after I got home "This wasn't supposed to be an instantaneous weight loss surgery... was it?" I could read his mind.. "She ought to get her money back!"

Khy

My landlord saw me 2 weeks after surgery and commented that it didn't look like it had worked. I really wanted to strangle him. Just focus on what you need to do & ignore anyone sending negative energy your way. This is a point in your life where you need to be selfish & focused on yourself. Follow the rules & you will lose weight. I think it was a month or 2 before people started commenting. I've finally reached the point where people who barely know me (I work in a public library) are coming up and commenting. So it will happen... just not days after surgery!

I can't believe people would assume that it was like a magic instant weightloss procedure. Jeesh its not like you put some giant boob implants on your chest that are noticeable. It is a process jeeeeesh. LOL it is comical though that people would not be able to comprehend that.