Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The double standard

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I had my first negative experience since my weight loss today. I went to the bank to cash a check that was given to me. Its not my regular bank, so the teller asked for my ID. I handed it over and then signed and thumb stamped the check. At this point the teller tells me that she needs to get an approval. She walks over to the teller next to her and they are talking. The angle that they were at made is possible for me to see the computer screen and I could see that they were looking at other checks I had cashed from the same account. At this point, I'm wondering what is going on, and am starting to get a little anxious. After a few minutes of this, both tellers come over and the original one then askes me how I want to money. I tell her and as shes counting it out the second teller says "If you don't mind me asking, how much weight have you lost?" I was stunned! So much so that I just answered her. To this she replies "You really need to take a new picture for your ID"

Now, I understand that banking is a business and they need to look out for fraud. While I was a bit annoyed by it I do understand why they were checking it out. What I didn't like was how the teller talked to me. Say the tables were turned and I had GAINED 100lbs instead of lost it. Would it be okay for her to say the same things to me? It was rude, thoughtless, and condesending. So much for customer service

i had kinda the same experience a few weeks ago when i went to get my blood drawn. i have kaiser and you have to show i.d. when you give them your card. i went to the back to get the blood done and the girl that was taking my blood said "WOW, you don't even look like the same person in your photo, you are really skinny NOW!!" i took it as a compliment at the time and thanked her, but afterwards, i thought, did she just say I was a big fat ass before???

I mean i know i was, but man, that was RUDE!!

some people just don't have any cooth!!

Kelly ;)

People really use no censorship when talking! You are so right. It was a compliment to you because you have lost so much weight, but what about the person in line behind you who has gained a lot of weight. RUDE!!!

You are right BUT if you do not change your ID picture you will get the same reaction. It's nice that you are you have lost that weight. I can't weight to get there!

Haha. My license has been renewed so many times that I actually finally weigh about what it says on my license: 180. Which was a lie: I'm sure I actually weighted around 200. But you can bet I never once heard anyone say "Man you have gained weight since you got that license"!!

Lynda

I plan on "losing" my work ID and my drivers license so I can get ones with new pictures and keep the old ones (once I get to my goal).

The teller could have said "sorry for the delay - we had to verify your identity - you don't look much like your photo anymore" Along the same lines - the phlebotomist at the blood bank could have said "you might consider getting a new ID - you don't look much like your picture anymore." Then they needed to STOP TALKING. That is hard to do - to know when to put the period at the end of a verbal sentence - and to DO IT.

:rolleyes: Absolutely! I look forward with mustard and relish...to "lose" my driver's license. I don't know when I have ever looked so bad and the angle of the camera ...I look like jabba the hut!

So about the forum question. I am sure if someone had been skinny and gained a lot of weight they would have had to ask the question too. It could have been done a lot better. I guess in today's world with identity theft so prevalent-- they had to check.

I look forward to NOT having a "Jabba ID".

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches