Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All... My name is David, and I am new to the forum. In 19 days I will be sleeved and in 4 days, I start my pre-op liquid diet. So here is my story, my fears, my hopes - for all to see.

I wasnt always overweight. In high school I could run a mile in under six minutes. I could run 3 miles in the morning, go to school, track or football practice after school, and then eat a whole pizza! I was solid muscle at 160 / 5'11" when I joined the Army after school. By college, I was up to 175, but after leaving the Army - my weight went uphill, now topping the scale at 310. Running even 10 feet is not in the equation now!

I considered bariatric surgery a few years ago and decided against it. My fears got the better of me, and I went on living overweight and gaining everyday. I did go through periods of dieting, exercising, and doing the right things, but could never stay on course as it seemed I never saw the benefit. On top of this, I developed a large hernia after an appendectomy that severely limits my activity. That hernia is now causing daily pain and periods of illness where I think it gets "bunched up" at night if I sleep on it wrong. This leads to days of nausea, vomiting and pain. It’s time to get this all back under control.

The plan is to do the sleeve and then months later, do the hernia repair. The plan is to start my life over and get back to where I can look forward to living long enough to see my daughter grow up. I’ll be honest and blunt… I am scared out of my wits! The thoughts going through my head every day are like those of an alcoholic trying to decide if being sober is worth it. Can I live with not eating what I want anymore? Can I live with doing the right things for my body? - but then again, if I don’t I probably won’t live anyway. The recovery from the surgery might be hell, can I stand it? The other thoughts that go through my mind are equally strange. I was a good looking guy until I got fat. Girls looked at me… now, when girls look at me I think their thoughts are “how can that guy be so fat?” Hopefully that changes as well! I am tired of walking into a meeting, a party, a room and immediately recognizing I am the most overweight person there. I am tired of sweating when no one else is. I am tired of avoiding pools, the beach, or any sort of physical activity. It’s time to stop.

My challenges are tremendous, but hopefully not insurmountable. I look forward to following the progress of folks on this site as I go through the journey so many have before me. I can only hope my outcome is as positive!

Howdy Dave, and welcome!!!

You asked a series of questions, yet you answered them all in one swoop.

"but then again, if I don’t I probably won’t live anyway. "

That's all you need to remember as you head on this journey. Taking this leap you are going to start living again like you never thought you could! If you ever need anything, just let me know. I'm always glad to help. I love my sleeve!!!! I know you will too.

All the best!!

Hi All... My name is David, and I am new to the forum. In 19 days I will be sleeved and in 4 days, I start my pre-op liquid diet. So here is my story, my fears, my hopes - for all to see.

I wasnt always overweight. In high school I could run a mile in under six minutes. I could run 3 miles in the morning, go to school, track or football practice after school, and then eat a whole pizza! I was solid muscle at 160 / 5'11" when I joined the Army after school. By college, I was up to 175, but after leaving the Army - my weight went uphill, now topping the scale at 310. Running even 10 feet is not in the equation now!

I considered bariatric surgery a few years ago and decided against it. My fears got the better of me, and I went on living overweight and gaining everyday. I did go through periods of dieting, exercising, and doing the right things, but could never stay on course as it seemed I never saw the benefit. On top of this, I developed a large hernia after an appendectomy that severely limits my activity. That hernia is now causing daily pain and periods of illness where I think it gets "bunched up" at night if I sleep on it wrong. This leads to days of nausea, vomiting and pain. It’s time to get this all back under control.

The plan is to do the sleeve and then months later, do the hernia repair. The plan is to start my life over and get back to where I can look forward to living long enough to see my daughter grow up. I’ll be honest and blunt… I am scared out of my wits! The thoughts going through my head every day are like those of an alcoholic trying to decide if being sober is worth it. Can I live with not eating what I want anymore? Can I live with doing the right things for my body? - but then again, if I don’t I probably won’t live anyway. The recovery from the surgery might be hell, can I stand it? The other thoughts that go through my mind are equally strange. I was a good looking guy until I got fat. Girls looked at me… now, when girls look at me I think their thoughts are “how can that guy be so fat?” Hopefully that changes as well! I am tired of walking into a meeting, a party, a room and immediately recognizing I am the most overweight person there. I am tired of sweating when no one else is. I am tired of avoiding pools, the beach, or any sort of physical activity. It’s time to stop.

My challenges are tremendous, but hopefully not insurmountable. I look forward to following the progress of folks on this site as I go through the journey so many have before me. I can only hope my outcome is as positive!

If you survived Boot Camp, you will survive recovery no problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course you are scared! A whole new way of life without food, your subconcious is working over time on you!

I can personally tell you, once you start loosing, otherthings like LIVING! will take the place of food. Imagine doing more in one day than you have done in a week in a long time!

YOU CAN DO THIS!

Huah!

Dave :welcome: to the best support group and information for sleevers or soon to be sleevers. Don't worry, your life is truly about to begin with the getting your sleeve. You will be around a long time and be able to see your daughter grow and start a family of her own - Grandpa!! Good Luck on your journey and remember you are not alone out there, we are here for you ALWAYS!!!!!!

HI Dave, I know how scary this decision is. It's true that it takes courage and determination. It sounds like you have done quite a bit of soul searching and that your struggles have been huge. I can tell you that for me, in the short 8 weeks that I have been sleeved, I have found tremendous benefits to my health. My energy is so much better but mostly my outlook on life has improved 100%!!!! I won't lie and say the're haven't been ups and downs (scale not moving at times, a little pain returning to my incisions after it was gone, difficulty getting in proteins) But, it has always passed!!!! and I know it will pass. I accept that it is a process, NOT an over night transformation. However, all in all, it is a fast process! and that keeps me so happy, positive and motivated because, again, I *know* that each day I will move forward with this sleeve! It is great that week to week something good happens. And I just feel happy. I know that in a few months from now, a year from now etc. I will be even further along! It is great to read on these boards about people's successes, even if they've had a few struggles here and there. I think most everyone seems to have benefits of daily improvements in health, activity level, optimism, confidence boosts, in addition to weight loss. This surgery is totally doable!!! The benefits when weighed against the detriments of our weight issues are tremendous. Most of us don't get to this place on a whim. We don't take this lightly. We are prepared to do some hard work. But we know our efforts will pay off. I've said this before, we are so lucky to be able to take advantage of this science/technology/advancement, whatever you want to call it. I'm 48. I wish it was available 15 years ago! LOL I definitely have no regrets. I wish you the best of luck on this journey as well as great health an energy. I think you are going to do GREAT!!!! Looking forward to reading more about your journey and progress!!!!!

Hi Dave, and welcome.

You are definately not alone...not in your journey, not in your fears, your thoughts, you desire to live... I know that you will find the strength to do this!!

I agree, if you survived boot camp...recovery will be nothing! :-)

Best of luck...see you on the boards!!!

Greetings and welcome! You are making a wonderful decision for yourself! We have all had different issues but those problmes are nothing compared to what comes with obesity.

Dave,

I can so understand where you are coming from and I am here to tell you to look deep inside yourself to find the courage to take this important step. It is completely natural to have fears and reservations about the surgery, but if you read as many posts as you can on this board, you will have a hard time finding anyone who has had the surgery and has any regrets (except possibly, not having the surgery sooner).

Thirteen months ago, I was where you are -- about to have the surgery and really scared. I knew I wanted to change my life, but I was really afraid to have the surgery. Fortunately, I did tons of research on this board and in other places on the web and I gradually came to realize that this was the right step for me. As a 44 year old widowed father of three kids, I needed to get control of my life and start living again.

Today, 13 months after the surgery, I have lost 120 pounds and am thinner than I have ever been in my adult life. My life is far from perfect and I think it is a mistake to think that losing weight will make all your problems disappear, but it certainly is helping. I'm working with a therapist on some of my other issues, but the weight loss has given me a huge head start in feeling better physically and emotionally.

As far as the recovery goes, the first month or two really sort of suck. You can't eat much and when you can start eating solid food, each meal is a sort of experiment in which you see what you can tolerate and sometimes the results are not pretty. I remember taking my kids on vacation about 6 weeks after my surgery and vomitting into zip-locks bags that I had to keep with me in the car. The good news is that it gets better really quickly and you will be encouraged because you will be losing weight right away.

The biggest adjustment I have had to make is coming to terms with the fact that I will never again be able to eat like I used to. For a little bit of time, that made me sad and I think I went through a bit of a mourning phase. But then I realized that eating the way I used to was how I got into trouble in the first place and I came to accept the fact that I cannont handle food the way other people can. I think it is very interesting that you used the example of an alcoholic. It really helped me when I came to understand and accept that just as a recovering alcoholic can never again drink the way they did, I will never be able to eat the way I used to eat. The wonderful thing about the sleeve is that it is always in place and serves as a physical barrier to prevent me from overeating at times (like so many in the past) when my will-power might be weak and I am tempted to overeat. Gradually, over time, food has become less important in my life and I know longer obsess about it.

Good luck to you on this journey. You don't say how old you are, but my sense is that you are young. Congratulations on having the courage to take this major step. You are not going to regret it.

Best to you,

Brian