Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does everyne lose their hair???

My pre-op RN/seminar speaker said EVERYONE that has the VSG loses their hair at 3 to 6 months post-op. Is this true? What did you do to prevent it besides taking Vitamins if you did not lose any hair? Please HELP! I JUST started getting my hair in and back to normal from my chemotherapy for breast cancer two years ago. I really don't want to have to wear the WIG again!

I would say that a fair amount of us lose our hair. I started just about 4 months post-op and it really slowed down recently (around 9 months post-op.) I ate all my Protein and took all my Vitamins and unfortunately it did not PREVENT Hair loss. I also take Biotin which will not prevent loss, but rather encourage new growth. My hairdresser knew about my surgery (she has a band) and said that at 8 months post-op it didn't look like I had lost too much and she did see lots of new growth.

Everyone is different but most everyone who has WLS will run into some type of hair loss. Sorry. Wish I had better news. I will gladly lose some hair to be -75lbs lighter though!

I would say that a fair amount of us lose our hair. I started just about 4 months post-op and it really slowed down recently (around 9 months post-op.) I ate all my Protein and took all my Vitamins and unfortunately it did not PREVENT Hair loss. I also take Biotin which will not prevent loss, but rather encourage new growth. My hairdresser knew about my surgery (she has a band) and said that at 8 months post-op it didn't look like I had lost too much and she did see lots of new growth.

Everyone is different but most everyone who has WLS will run into some type of hair loss. Sorry. Wish I had better news. I will gladly lose some hair to be -75lbs lighter though!

Thanks so much for the answer. I agree that I wouldn't trade that big of a weight loss for the loss of hair....I just hope I don't lose it ALL! HA HA....but WHAT-EVAH! Been there before...done that! LOL! Thanks again!

I started losing gobs of hair around month four too. While it clogs my shower drain and hair now covers the floor - I am more then happy to swiffer more often and wouldn't trade my hair back for the 80 pounds lost! A friend picked me up from work one day and when I got out of her car... I had shedded all over the seat. It would have been horribly embarrassing if it hadn't been so darn funny.

I take Biotin and hope that I don't develop bald spots. Picking my hair off my clothes in meetings nonchalantly and with a smile. This too shall pass!

This is a big fear of mine as well, because my hair is EXTREMELY thin already. I have gone to many, many drs about it, and they can't tell me why I've lost so much. I actually wear a hairpiece, which no one (other than my family and closest friends) knows about. I'm afraid if I lose any, I won't even have enough to clip my hairpiece on to. It's so humiliating. No one in my whole family...men or women...have a problem with Hair loss except me. :(

My significant loss began at 7 months. I lost it mainly in forehead and I have started wearing a hair piece. I am using Noxium and praying for the time I can chuck my fake bangs! I still like being thinner better than my hair:)

And this too shall pass.

This is a big fear of mine as well, because my hair is EXTREMELY thin already. I have gone to many, many drs about it, and they can't tell me why I've lost so much. I actually wear a hairpiece, which no one (other than my family and closest friends) knows about. I'm afraid if I lose any, I won't even have enough to clip my hairpiece on to. It's so humiliating. No one in my whole family...men or women...have a problem with Hair loss except me. :(

Have you had your surgery yet? If so, when?

My significant loss began at 7 months. I lost it mainly in forehead and I have started wearing a hair piece. I am using Noxium and praying for the time I can chuck my fake bangs! I still like being thinner better than my hair:)

And this too shall pass.

I assume you were faithfully taking all of your Vitamins and Vitamin supplements.....Did you also take Biotin? If so, how many mgs and when did you start taking it?

Yes, losing your hair will happen and there isn't ANYTHING you can do to stop it. Sorry!!

Taking Biotin and using fancy shampoo's are a waste of time and money! It is going to happen,but it is not noticable. You will be the only one that knows your hair is coming out.

I lose about 20 hairs every morning when I wash/brush. It is gross, but I am not bald! I have a lot of hair and it is fine. I know it will stop and I am fine with it!

Kelly :D

Yes- you will loose hair- its from surgery- and not just this one- i have had lots of surgeries and I loose my hair after each one- Vitamins, Biotin and nioxin Shampoo does actually help me - like stated before with regrowth- I have new hairs coming in by the time my long hair starts falling out- and I notice it being thicker after using the shampoo- but I have went without taking or using anything- and it grew back over time- just not as fast-

I didn't . I was so certain I would because whenever I have been under severe stress I lose my hair but it just didn't happen.

I lost hair but it was not noticable. What was noticable was the texture change. My hair was dry and brittle. It was between 3-6 months. I did wind up getting my hair cut above my shoulders to improve texture BUT with my new, thinner face, I can get away with it ;)

My other two friends had VSG and lost NO HAIR AT ALL, If that makes you feel better.

I am feeling MUCH better every time I read someone who DIDN'T lose hair.....There is something to be said for having "rose-colored glasses"!!! LOL! Thanks!

I lost hair but it was not noticable. What was noticable was the texture change. My hair was dry and brittle. It was between 3-6 months. I did wind up getting my hair cut above my shoulders to improve texture BUT with my new, thinner face, I can get away with it ;)

My other two friends had VSG and lost NO HAIR AT ALL, If that makes you feel better.

I assume you were saithfully taking all of your Vitamins and Vitamin supplements.....Did you also take Biotin? If so, how many mgs and when did you start taking it?

I am faithful to my Vitamins and Protein to this day. I did not take Biotin, still don't. I use Noxium because I got a heck of deal on it, 10 bucks for a 40 dollar bottle! Do I believe it has made a difference? No not really, but at that price it can hurt.

My hair loss has been very noticeable in the front. I used to have bangs just above my eyebrows and now I am lucky the center of my bangs comes midway down and the hair on the sides is only about 1 inch right now. SO YES OTHER NOTICED. That is why I got the replacement clip in bangs.

However, I would never want to stay overweight to keep my hair. My hair will grow back, my weight wont and I feel so much better!

I did lose quite a bit of hair. It's starting to calm down now that I'm not dieting to the extreme anymore (thank goodness!!!). I'm still losing some hair here and there though. I'm also quite convinced that if I didn't have such thick hair I would've went nearly bald... so I put an asterisk in front of my vote.

BTW: I take tons of supplements from A to Z and then some. I also take Biotin 2500 mcg, but note - Biotin does NOT PREVENT HAIR LOSS... it only helps for regrowth. And that it really does. It even helps with finger and toe nails too.

It's all a part of this process for the majority of us. I'll tell you what though, I'd rather lose some hair than still be super obese and barely fitting into Lane Bryant clothes!!!