Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared of Complications now

Hi,

I have only posted a couple of times and am about a month away from having the sleeve surgery. Oddly, till today, I had only seen really positive things on the board. There is so much to read maybe I subconsciously stayed away from seeing anything negative. It seemed like nobody had any major complications but today I see all kinds of scary stories. To begin with, I was only planning on taking a week off. My surgery is private pay, too. Then I see where people are having vomiting, leaks, dehydration, stents? OY! I would have to pay for any extra expenses. The money is there but now I am picturing a nightmare of possibilities.

So, first of all, I'd love to hear what percentage of you had complications/get complications and how soon people (without complications) were able to return to work. I am a mental health professional in private practice. The good news is I can control my schedule/hours.

Also, I know when I went to the informational seminar and my doctor's success rates were discussed, his "leak rate" was less than 1%. Does anyone know what percentage of people have complications early on to where they are staying in hospital more than two nights or admitted again within the first month? Thanks for any numbers you have and any reassurance!

Is your surgeon a BLIS surgeon? I was a self pay also...my surgery cost included insurance for complications occuring within 90 days of my surgery. For a small extra cost insurance was available for complications occuring up to a year after surgery. Complications are rare (1 in 2000 for bleeds and leaks) but they do happen...I had bleeding and had to have emergency surgery...I was in ICU for several days. Everything turned out well, and I would do it all over again...my results have been awesome and I feel great. If I had not had the insurance (BLIS) through my surgeon the cost for my second surgery and hospitalization would have been MANY times more than the cost of my sleeve. As I said...complications are rare...but they happen, even with the very best surgeons. the insurance is worth checking out. By the way, I am in GA...I had my surgery in LaGrange. Good luck to you.

Hi,

I have only posted a couple of times and am about a month away from having the sleeve surgery. Oddly, till today, I had only seen really positive things on the board. There is so much to read maybe I subconsciously stayed away from seeing anything negative. It seemed like nobody had any major complications but today I see all kinds of scary stories. To begin with, I was only planning on taking a week off. My surgery is private pay, too. Then I see where people are having vomiting, leaks, dehydration, stents? OY! I would have to pay for any extra expenses. The money is there but now I am picturing a nightmare of possibilities.

So, first of all, I'd love to hear what percentage of you had complications/get complications and how soon people (without complications) were able to return to work. I am a mental health professional in private practice. The good news is I can control my schedule/hours.

Also, I know when I went to the informational seminar and my doctor's success rates were discussed, his "leak rate" was less than 1%. Does anyone know what percentage of people have complications early on to where they are staying in hospital more than two nights or admitted again within the first month? Thanks for any numbers you have and any reassurance!

Hi Splashdancer,

Try not to worry about the complications. Have you had complications from any other surgeries you may have had in the past? Always go into these sorts of situations in a positive frame of mind. It helps.

I went into surgery thinking I would not have any. I came out of surgery just fine, didn't have any complications with surgery. I did find out about 6 days after surgery I had developed an infection and had to go back into the hospital for IV antibiotics. My new sleeve was fine, no leaks. The infection was outside of the sleeve. I was in hospital for an additional 4 days. Now looking back at my previous surgery, I had a post op infection then as well. So, I must be predisposed to having them. It doesn't mean everyone will.

I am sure you will do great. Think positively.

Sheila

It's only been a few days since my sleeve but all is going well. I am self pay so I understand your concerns. Be sure you have a very experienced surgeon; mine only does bariatric surgery in a center of excellence. He overstitched the staples and says this all but eliminates the risk of leaks. I thought I would be out of work for one week, but my doc says not to drive for 2 weeks. I plan on doing about a half days work from home next week just so I don;t fall so far behind. I also find that I am not rebounding as quickly as I did when I was younger (I'll be 60 next month). Good luck on your journey.

Complications are rare. Don't read the horror stories on the internet as a lot of them are not factual or meant to discredit a doctor.

Possitve attitude is everything! The reality is you have a higher chance of a "complication" going out and driving your car today than your will have from surgery.

Wow thanks to all of you! Feeling better now. My Dr. is Dr. Dennis Smith, Advanced Obesity Surgery, in Marietta, GA. I will ask Monday about the insurance one of you mentioned. I have not heard about that, but think it would be well worth it.

I think most of us can testify you usually only hear the negative from people who know very little about WLS. I knew up front my choice in having surgery has risks, however, so did my diabetes,, being extremely overweight, my inactivetly and my overall life style.

I remember telling one person that I was having WLS and she proceeded to tell me how this one person died, like 4 years ago of pneumonia but because she had WLS she had health problems ever since and then she got pneumonia and died.... I could not believe my friend even bothered to tell me that story! She works at our local hospital which I went out of town to a larger hospital... but get real, think about even a little local hospital and they have to site one person 4 years ago that had pneumonia.... OMG....incredible some peoples logic.

Above are some great suggestions, going in with a positive attitude can help so much!

Mind over matter, choose a good doctor, a good hospital, read, read, read up on the sleeve, precautions, what to expect, etc... and you will be just fine!:D

THANKS so much. You are all helping me a lot. I will soon add more to my profile and be on here more, I am sure. Thanks again!

I think most of us can testify you usually only hear the negative from people who know very little about WLS. I knew up front my choice in having surgery has risks, however, so did my diabetes,, being extremely overweight, my inactivetly and my overall life style.

I remember telling one person that I was having WLS and she proceeded to tell me how this one person died, like 4 years ago of pneumonia but because she had WLS she had health problems ever since and then she got pneumonia and died.... I could not believe my friend even bothered to tell me that story! She works at our local hospital which I went out of town to a larger hospital... but get real, think about even a little local hospital and they have to site one person 4 years ago that had pneumonia.... OMG....incredible some peoples logic.

Above are some great suggestions, going in with a positive attitude can help so much!

Mind over matter, choose a good doctor, a good hospital, read, read, read up on the sleeve, precautions, what to expect, etc... and you will be just fine!:D

I am 6 weeks out and feeling great, no complications. I returned to work in 6 days.Everyone is different though. Best of luck to you.

Well I am 2 weeks post op and have not had any problems. I didn't have any nausea or vomiting. It is still a bit of a struggle to get everything down that my doctor says I should have but I think that is about normal. My doc gave me nystatin before surgery to prevent yeast problems and then after surgery they hung 2 bags of antibiotics as a precaution. I am still a bit tired but.. well 800 calories a day and my body is still trying to adjust a bit... still I think this is pretty normal. I would bet many people go through this just like I have.

C.