Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bike-riding

All I've been doing for activity is walking 30-60 mins at least 5 times a week. I wanted to take things to another level, but nothing seems to motivate/interest me. I have my own heavybag and love to box, but I get so winded down that it's not a very effective exercise at this point.

I was recently motivated by a fellow sleever to try something new, something that my pre-sleeve self would've thought was CRAZY. I'm visiting a few bike shops to buy a bike, and teach myself how to ride again. I'm still very overweight, but to hell with it, I feel like having FUN with my exercise! I'm nervous but I'm also excited. I think it's going to be a hilarious and exhilarating experience. Has anyone had any experience/success with riding bicycles at a heavier weight? I know it's gonna be hard but I LOVE A CHALLENGE!

Yes!!! and I LOVE IT!!!! It's very easy on your joints but you can get a very good, high cardio vascular workout. You can go as long or short of a ride as you like and you can do intervals or just cruise, or ride fast. I find that I enjoy both the street and trails! I get caught up in the scenery and time just flies! If you put on a heart monitor you will see how you burn calories like crazy!!! It's awesome! and very motivating! I highly recommend it. Also, I am obviously overweight. I carry most of my weight on my butt, hips and thighs. I know I must look... interesting... on my bike :-) But I don't give a hoot! YOU GO!!!!! Have a great time. Also, you can look in your area for a cycling group so you can meet people to ride with if you don't want to go alone. Plus it's just fun! Great way to socialize! You can also try MeetUp for a local cycling group. There are lots of events you can participate in if you wanted to as well. In my experience, cyclists are really nice, encouraging folks. When I am riding on the street, especially trying to do a little climbing on hills, they will give me words of encouragement and support as they pass by. Some hang out a bit to chat. It's the best thing I've done for myself (started in 2008). HAVE FUN!!!!!! DO IT!!!!! :-)

I have a 3 speed Electra fat tire town bike that is a lot of fun. I live across a river from town, and occasionally ride through the nature bike trail over the river to town to get coffee and enjoy the city life (about 6 miles round trip). I am using it a little more after losing some weight, but enjoyed it when heavier too.

I would like to eventually get a bike. I am not sure what weight I should try it again. I am still 310 lbs not sure if 250 would still be too big for a bike or not, perhaps 200?

Bike riding is actually great exercise if you are overweight because your legs are probably stronger than most people's (thanks to the daily workout of carrying some extra pounds), and that helps you to peddle faster and stronger than other, lighter folks. People who are thinner than me are constantly amazed at how strong I am on a bike. You will love it!!! Biking along a trail or down a hill and feeling the breeze makes you feel so free!

I just told my husband this week that I am going to go buy a bike. I have been wanting to get a bike for a couple years now, and now that I am looking for something to for exercise, I am going to get one. When I was a kid, I lived on my bike in the summer and I hope I enjoy it as much now as I did then.

I love riding as well. I still weigh 257lbs so I went to Wal-mart and bought a saddle seat for my bike. It is a wider seat and feels much better than that stock seat . That old seat was very uncomfortable, felt like a thong, not a good thing for a 257lb guy.

Did I ever mention how much I LOVE my bike???????? I had not rode a bike in over 20 years. I decided Early this spring at about 175 to go rent one and try it out, just to see if I was capable.

I HAVE NEVER FELT SO FREE as I do when I am on a bike! I crave it now! I pass the bike trails on the way home from work and it motivates me to get in the house, change and be off on my bike!

2 months after I started riding I joined the Tour De Cure for Diabetes, before that tour the farthest I had gone was 17 miles, being around all those slim professional riders inspired and I did 35 miles that day!

Let me warn you, once you are hooked it can get expensive :) The odometer computer, the helmet the jerseys, the riding pants, the lock, the rack for your bike so you can ride to the store, the pannier bag to bring home your groceries on your rack, and last but not least now the shoes with hooks, they really do make a difference tackling the hails,, you are pushing and pulling with the shoes on:)

Don't say I did not warn you how much fun you would have:)

Chicadee-

Your weight matters- however- do not let that stop you-

I ride a road bike- and wear spandex :D I rode at 365#

there are alot of bikes that can handle weight loads.

Trek/specialized have hybrid bikes that are great for people like us-

My wife has one- after her loss of 100+# she is now riding it- skinny tires-

I pushed her- to get off her MTB style, she rides at a good clip- 12 mph.

I believe as long as your out having fun on the bike- any style works-

however- some peeps at bike shops are not good at fitting bike with people-

I was pushed into MTB styles cause of my weight-

they are heavy and hard to push...

I found a bike shop- that didn't look at me as a fat man, traded back wheel for a heavier made one and

have rode over 5K miles on it with no probs- now down 85# from then- I can push that bike over many hills, and I ride fast

22MPH on the flats...

your best bet is to go to a bike shop and try different styles-

then find another shop and try theirs...

when you find one you like- ease of ride- geometry...

then start shopping for like bikes to get a good price...

seriously- most bike shops will push the wrong bike on the larger folk...

which ends up with a waste of $$ and not riding as much as you would...

riding should be fun, easy and a little challenging-

first time I rode- I could barely ride 1 mile.

6 months later I finished a century (100 miles)

:)

pm me if you wanna talk more.

I also love bike riding. I rode a bike at my heaviest weight (at 297 pounds) when I was doing m medically suprvised weight loss. I lost 115 pounds in a year and bike riding was a key exercise. My doc reccomended walking and biking when I first started because it was easy on the joints and great cardio. I started out with a geared bike gave big $$$ for it but didn't like it. Ultimately, my favorite bike for everyday fun exercise was a Schwinn cruiser model with a wide seat wide handle bars and a cute basket on the back to carry my Water, bag, etc. I loved riding to the park with my girls and sitting in the shade with a good book while they played if I needed a break. Once I lost more weight and felt spunkier this led to me joining a spinning class...talk about a workout, whooooo...and it was a blast. I would ride my bike to the gymn and back for warm-up/cool down. Alas, I gained 75 pounds back and thus I am here today post sleeve x 4 weeks and just starting back on my trusty schwinn and once again I LOVE IT! I like it alot better than walking and my kids can match my pace alot better biking than walking so it becomes fun for all of us. My hubby even bought a swhinn bike and will ride with us and he loathes organized exercise. SOOO, if you are even thinking about i say GO FOR IT!!!!! You wont regret it!!!!:teeth_smile:

wow I'm so happy (and relieved) to hear all of this positive feedback about biking! My mom was kind of being a jerk about it because of my size >.>" She's been making a lot of snide remarks after all the weight loss, so I kept getting discouraged from doing this. I think I just want to experience the freedom of biking that many of you described! I have 5 bike shops that I'm planning on visiting next week, hopefully I'll find a comfortable place that matches me with a suitable bike. I think a cruiser might be the best to start out with, thank you for all the great tips! I'm so excited for next week!

I got a Trek mountain bike of of Craigslist for like 40. The bike holds me up just fine. It was not very comfy at 489 but at 406 it was comfy with a saddle seat also, I could ride for as long as my little six year old wants to.

Respectfully,

Joe Lopez

Yea! Big Joe!

I'm currently fixing up a C1979 path racer, it is a fixed gear, nothing pretentious about it,

I just get on and go for a spin.

It was a gift from a friend-

I get out on it and head down town for a latte, or to the store for an item..

I have two other bikes, that I crank out the miles on... just love the wind in my face...

I have a dumb question.....but is there such a thing as an "automatic" instead of having to switch gears? We live ON a bike trail and I LOVE riding my bike, but i royally suck at changing gears and have never felt like I learned the proper way to ride. My bike was purchased years ago at Target and I know nothing about bikes. At the time, it was one of the most expensive ones they carried, but I have no clue what kind I should be riding. Our trails are paved and I would love to ride on roads (we have an awesome cycling community here and they do lots of group rides).....but I've been too embarrassed to join in b/c I feel like an idiot that doesn't know when to shift gears! LoL!! We have a great bike shop in town and I've been meaning to go, but thought I would ask you guys since there are some avid riders on here. :)