Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Putting a Pet to Sleep?

I'm a pet lover too and I can feel the heartache you're going through. Sounds like many of us have had to make that painful decision but I believe you'll know when the time is right. The look that precious face gives you will tell the whole story and you'll just know.

My personal story happened after my dad died of colon cancer. He had made sure that my husband and I would take care of his little dog, Angus after he passed. We only had him a little over a year when he was poisoned and I had to decide when it was time. We tried everything to save him but he just kept getting worse. It was horrible and I felt like I was losing my dad all over again because I had so many wonderful memories of Dad with his little Angus - they were so cute together. Dad would eat a cheese puff then Angus would eat a cheese puff. I don't think my dad ever ate an entire meal because the dog would get as much as dad!

I wish you the best and I know you'll cherish all the wonderful memories you have with Peaches.

Andy Liz

Nothing anyone can say will make this decision easier. When my big guy had to go - st bernard mastiff cross @ 145 lbs - my vet came to the house. He could no longer stand and we knew it was time. He always like the Doc and as soon as he came in the house Chester got up and went to him and my first thoughts were 'he's ok and we don't have to do this now" then reality took over as he layed back down. Doc let me cry all over his shoulder and wet his clean white shirt and told me to leave while his helpers picked up the body and took it away. After almost 3 yrs and even with another wonderful dog, we still remember and talk about Chester. Just like our human loved ones, we can always keep them alive in our memories and hearts.

This is such a hard decision to make. I had my cat, spike, for 18 yrs and she was diabetic for the last year of her life. I had to give her shots every day twice a day and even though others told me it was time, I wasnt ready.... well your never ready.... ready does not happen and then I had to do it and in the end wished I never put her through all that I did. Then my other girl, misty, got sick and was given a time frame of a couple weeks to maybe 2 months to live. I had learned my lesson and said no, tomorrow will be the day.... for I could not put my girl through something so terrible just so I would be ready.... again.... i still wasnt ready but I was much more at peace because I knew I did the right thing. I think this is one of the hardest things we are asked to do but I also believe it is one of the best things we could do for those we love.

I have no children, so my child was my beloved Scruffy a Carin Terrier( blonde like me)! He gave me 16.5 wonderful years of being unconditionaly loved beyond my wildest dearms! He was the best friend I have ever had. I lost him 08-11-06 and I am still grieving! Whatever happens your Mom is going to need alot of love and support to get thru this loss. There is a beautiful poem you can look up online called The Rainbow Bridge, it is about pet heaven. I wish you and your family the best and I am sorry you have to say goodbye to your faithful loved one.