Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dallas Looking for Answers

Hi, there.

I am scheduled for a private pay sleeve in a few weeks in Dallas. I am middle aged and approximately 50 lbs overweight with a BMI of 34. I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea and acid reflux so I am in great shape. The fact that my weight is carried around my middle almost guarantees that I will develop diabetes if I don't do something.

Even with all of these medical issues I, like many, am very nervous about the whole surgery thing. You know, the old "what if " syndrome...what if I develop clots, what if I get an infection, and the latest thanks to morning television...what if I catch fire on the table? The fact that I will almost certainly be able to resolve my medical issues will be the big reward so I just have to keep reminding myself that I have an excellent surgeon, a great facility and Faith.

Although the doctor has done a great job of explaining possible side effects and surgical issues I would love to hear from "the real experts" about what to expect regarding the cosmetic issues I will face when losing 50 pounds.

Thanks for any information you can provide!

Lol, catching fire on the table...haven't heard that one! Yes, there are risks. There are risks with anything as we all know...driving to work, getting a tooth pulled, etc. But as you said, having faith that all will go well and having confidence in your surgeon will help put the odds in your favor, or at least that's what I believe.

I could be wrong on this so maybe someone who has lost 50 lbs could come by and help with this, but 50 lbs doesn't seem like enough weight to cause you to have loose skin. I know it depends on how you carry it, and your age also...but I wouldn't think that would be an issue for you. I guess there are people on here that have uneven areas of weight loss and get Lipo to even everything out. I've only lost 36 lbs and already notice that I will eventually need a breast lift /augmentation, but I was contemplating that 5 years ago when I was much lighter. The weight gain and now loss has just made it worse.

Good luck to you! I came off my blood pressure meds a week after surgery!

I agree with Weho - we risk our lives everyday. Waking up is a feat for some people. You will do fine. The fact that you are a smaller WLS patient is really going to help during surgery. Stay positive!

i'm a self pay sleeve and had many of the co-morbidities: high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea (undiagnosed until I started testing for the surgery), and diabetes. I figured my risks with these were much higher than from the surgery. With 100+ lbs to lose and almost 60 years old I expect to have some excess skin issues. However, when I lost 100 lbs in my early 40's I had no excess skin at all. Good luck.

Thanks for your feedback. I'll keep my fingers crossed...it is what it is. I'm looking forward to getting off meds and feeling ENERGY again.

PS>>the girls were already headed due south!

I'm with you on the "what ifs". But after reading the posts and really weighing the "what if I dont", I really think that I have come to the right conclusion. When's your surgery date, have just begun the all liquid diet and feeling really tired. Put you hands in GOD and I'll pray that we get through just fine. My surgery date is August 19th. Given that you are much closer to your goal weight makes your surgery less riskier, also follow the instructions of your WL surgeon to decrease the risks of developing infection after the surgery.

Good luck!

Who is your dr.?

I was sleeved at Forest Park Medical Center in Dallas on July 6th. I am 56 years old and I am a self pay patient. At the start of this adventure I only needed to lose about 65-70 lbs to get to my goal weight. I wanted the surgery for 2 reasons: 1) vanity (yes, I admit it:) & 2) as a preventative measure so I wouldn't get some of the health issues that go along with being overweight.

I've used botox for about 10 years and I anticipate continuing to use it. Without a doubt, I don't have the same elasticity in my skin as I did 10-15 years ago - so I am just taking this one day at a time - and when/if the day comes that my ta-tas no longer fill my bra, I'll be first in line to get a boob job:). I don't think I will have enough excess skin to consider surgery elsewhere - but I'll make that decision, too, if the day comes.

Your VSG journey will take you down different roads: The first 2-3 weeks, you will be focused on healing your body from the surgery. Then you'll be focused on taking your Vitamins and trying to eat enough to keep your energy level up. Serious thoughts of cosmetic surgery - at least for me - are still about 45 lbs away:)

Good luck on your journey!

Thanks for your reply. I will be sleeved by Dr. Quilici in Los Angeles (more specifically, Burbank, CA). I am 31 and need to lose over 100lbs. Tomorrow is your 1 month anniversary; how'd your surgery go. Anything would be helpful. Nerves are starting to set over here in L.A.

Who is your dr.?

I was sleeved at Forest Park Medical Center in Dallas on July 6th. I am 56 years old and I am a self pay patient. At the start of this adventure I only needed to lose about 65-70 lbs to get to my goal weight. I wanted the surgery for 2 reasons: 1) vanity (yes, I admit it:) & 2) as a preventative measure so I wouldn't get some of the health issues that go along with being overweight.

I've used botox for about 10 years and I anticipate continuing to use it. Without a doubt, I don't have the same elasticity in my skin as I did 10-15 years ago - so I am just taking this one day at a time - and when/if the day comes that my ta-tas no longer fill my bra, I'll be first in line to get a boob job:). I don't think I will have enough excess skin to consider surgery elsewhere - but I'll make that decision, too, if the day comes.

Your VSG journey will take you down different roads: The first 2-3 weeks, you will be focused on healing your body from the surgery. Then you'll be focused on taking your Vitamins and trying to eat enough to keep your energy level up. Serious thoughts of cosmetic surgery - at least for me - are still about 45 lbs away:)

Good luck on your journey!

I'll be at Forest Park Surgical Center, as well, with Dr. Nick Nicholson. I just turned 62 and I laughed after I read my own post last night and my description of myself as "middle aged". That means I'll live to be about 124!

I'm seriously not too concerned about cosmetic issues right now...as I said, things are already "relaxing"!

At any rate, I got the thumbs up this morning from my internist of 30 years. I weighed 197 and I'm 5'4" tall. I had pulmonary clots about 8 years ago and he has been opposed to any and all elective surgery I have ever mentioned so this is a HUGE relief for me. I don't feel as apprehensive knowing how conservative he has always been. He has many patients who have used Dr Nicholson and he said he supports my decision. He will be monitoring me as I go off Warfarin and use Lovenox injections then back on the Warfarin after surgery.

Thanks for the wonderful feedback. It really helps.

Guest Rosalind

I cannot imagine considering having part of my stomach removed for 50 lbs. I am surprised that doctors would perform weight loss surgery on someone with only 50lbs to lose. Sorry if that offends you but.......I'm just saying?

It's not just the number of pounds that need to be looked at, imho. Dallasmom4's BMI has her as obese, she has some serious co-morbidities, and she is absolutely correct to be concerned about her "apple" shape which is more dangerous than someone who is "pear" shaped. Good luck to her as she researches her options.

Your comment did not offfend me, Rosaline. But it does prove that this is one of those topics that causes people to rush to judgement ...she's too thin, why did they wait so long, why are they not having weight loss surgery. My 50lbs weighs the same as anyone's elses. Would you tell someone to stop losing weight when they were still 50lbs overweight after losing 250lbs or even 150lbs? It's all relative.

Actually, on the health side it's similar (but not as drastic) to having elective mastectomies if you have all the breast cancer markers and you've done as much as you can non-surgically.

On the cosmetic side it's certainly not as drastic as a face lift, Tummy Tuck, arm lift, full body liposuction, or any number of surgeries folks opt for everyday after significant weight loss.

My goal is to collect as much helpful information as I can from those of you who are going through this and combine it with the advice of my doctors to make informed decisions during the process. Hopefully, I will avoid feeling too shamed along the way.

Anyway, I do appreciate the information and encouragement regarding my original question.

Thanks everyone.

Well as someone that had it done at BMI of 34 I can relate. Only I had absolutely no comorbities so I guess mine was vanity alone. I am not ashamed of that fact. Women go under the knife to get new boobs, get their tummies flattened (i did that too) and a multiple list of reasons. I can say that it is no easier for me to lose and keep off 50 pounds then it was the rest of you to keep off a 100+ pounds. food is an addiction and I wanted to nip it right in the bud. I grew up thin, was thin after both of the births of my children then gained it on some prescription meds and was totally miserable. Over the next 6 years I lost and gained at least 160+ pounds. 20 pounds here 20 pounds there blah blah blah. I feel like myself for the first time in 7 years and wished i had done it sooner but I didn't want to be a quiter and thought I was strong enough to do it on my own. I finally said forget it and went for it and I am so glad I did. I still want to lose another 15-20 pounds.

Dallas has some health issues that would certainly benefit from the loss of this weight and I hope her the best. If you carry most of the weight in your tummy you may end up with some loose skin especially due to your age. You can combat some of the sagginess by walking and working out to tone it up as much as possible while losing. You may get lucky and it may be minimal. I wish you the best.

I have also heard good things about your doc so kudos there too.

I hope all is well. How are you feeling? Are you experiencing anything you weren't expecting? Would love to hear about the recovery process.

i'm a self pay sleeve and had many of the co-morbidities: high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea (undiagnosed until I started testing for the surgery), and diabetes. I figured my risks with these were much higher than from the surgery. With 100+ lbs to lose and almost 60 years old I expect to have some excess skin issues. However, when I lost 100 lbs in my early 40's I had no excess skin at all. Good luck.

I hope all is well. How are you feeling? Are you experiencing anything you weren't expecting? Would love to hear about the recovery process.