Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

home from the hospital

ok so i didn't get my ideal hospitalization of feeling no pain and all is good. First day took the lortab and spent the entire afternoonand evening dry heaving till finally it all came out at 10pm. Felt better at 1am. by morning i had found out he also repaired a small hernia and only meds i get is plain tylenol. My tymmy was pretty sore and tylenol was only helping a smal bit. Every tiny sip causes a lot of pain in my chest ( mind you this is only water) Taking a lot of the gas-ex and it helps at times. I'm walking a bit around the house and hoping that's helping also. Anyone else having this type of pain and any solutions besides keep sipping and using gas-ex and walking...I am able to do that...but hurts to just take sips.

Gayle

I had a good hospitalization. They gave me dilauded (sp) for pain while I was in and then yesterday morning they gave me the Lortab just before I was discharged, luckily it settled ok with me. I get the pain in my chest too. It seems like it is at the entrance of my new stomach. I have found that the creamier drinks aren't as bad. I am up and about at least once an hour and I haven't had any gas ex as of yet. Getting up and down is the hardest part and I can't really lay flat comfortably. No bending over as of yet either. Good Luck!!

thanks Brookb, I am only on Clear Liquids fo nnow and keep trying and gave the doc office a call, waiting a call back.

I was very very sore too, I felt like I shouldn't of been in the pain I was and I was not a nice patient coming out of recovery. Luckily I haven't had the nausuea part, but I do have the pain in the chest when I swallow too much too fast. My dr. said that was normal. I also don't sleep well other than on my back elevated. This has been really hard for me b/c I am a side sleeper. I am 1 week out since surgery and getting around great, I did over do it yesterday and feel the pain the pain today. My stomach is itching like crazy so I am hoping that is a sign of healing on the inside. I do have trouble getting up and down though. I just love this site and connecting with others that are experiencing the same as me! Hope you feel better!

I got a call back formt he nut at my doc's office. She said that since I had such a hard day in the hospital and with the throwing up, I probably caused a lot more swelling than normal so it might be a few extra days for the more normal feeling i am waiting for. She said try cooler or warmer temp liquids.

Thanks for the positive wishes for me

First couple of days are the worst. I figured out just plain Water at room temp went down the best. That and sugar free popsickes. Everything else made me gag. I know everyone says this but drink enough (of whatever you can get down) the first couple of days are the worst but it gets better. I had the hernia repair at same time also. He gave me levosin (a med to make stomach calm down spasms) and it really seemed to help the first couple of weeks. I also found an acid pill (ppi) really helped. It does get better :( sorry you are having a rough time!

Sorry for the pain you are having. It is not fun at all. I am day 3 from surgery. I could not tolerate the liquid lortab. Made me want to puke but I did not. But I was not going to take the chance that it would. I switched to chewable tylenol cuz liquids hurt going down. So I am trying to get all my liquids in either in liquid form (ouch) or popsicles & fudgesicles.

Now I did come across some advise from a physician about the gas pain and I tried and for me it worked very well. Use mint or peppermint tea and yes you can start burping...yeah! Plus use your heating pad...that has been a lifesaver too.

Also, if your incisions start to itch then yes that is a sign they are healing...however keep an close eye on them to make sure the itching is healing and not an infection. you know foul odor, etc.

Good luck!

I found that the first few days, Jello slipped down easier than liquids. I have no idea why that should be but it did and still does.

Khy