Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does 1200 to 1400 Calories sound like alot to you?

My "Patient Education" book from my surgeon states the following once you reach Week 8 after surgery: "You will need about 1200 to 1400 calories daily. Do not fall below 1200 calories a day. Limit intake of breads, grains and cereals to 2 or 3 portions a day."

It has the typical guidelines for Protein, Water and exercise, but should I really be eating all these carbs and therefore calories? Do any of you have similar direction from your doctor at 2 months out?

I've been getting in close to 1100 calories a day this past week and frankly I feel like I'm eating like a pig. I feel like I'm cheating and wondering if it has contributed to my stall. Or is 1100 calories REALLY too few???

Please share your thoughts. I will see my NUT on Tuesday and ask her if I should adjust these numbers and let you know what she says. Now that I can eat a wide variety of foods, I'm scared to death to eat the wrong foods or too much of a good thing! I guess this feels too good to be true: eating til I'm satisfied and still lose weight...who had ever heard of such a thing???:o

(I moved this post from a different forum, sorry)

My surgeon says 600-800 calories during the losing stage. I can't imagine eating 1200-1400 calories a day and losing-I certainly didn't when I was dieting. I've always had to be under 1000, which was why I always regained from a diet. Now I'm fine below 800 until I reach goal.

It appears that this is another one of those topis where there as many right answers as there are surgeons. My doctor says to aim for 1000-1200 calories, 70 grams Protein, <100 grams carbs, and <30-35 grams fat.

There is no way on God's green Earth that I would follow those guidelines. Sorry, but I did that without the sleeve, and never lost weight.

I did 600-800 cals, no more than 30-40gr of carbs, 60+ Protein and never had a stall, never went one week without losing weight or dropping inches.

I barely eat 1400 calories in maintenance until pregnancy, and even then at my maintenance weight, I am supposed to eat 1700-1800 calories a day that with growing another human being in my body.

There's just so many other dietary guidelines out there that are more stringent with carb intake, and calorie restriction. It burns the fat faster because of ketosis.

I'm all about following doctor's advice, but if it's not working for you, then I suggest changing things up and finding what works for your body.

If you're 8 weeks out, and can eat that many calories already without drinking calories, then as your sleeve matures and your restriction lessens (and it does stretch out some) you might find that you'll be able to eat way more calories and carby foods the further out you get.

I'm glad I asked before my "overeating" went on too long!! Thanks for your input; and you are all correct.

I talked to my nut last week. She said the guidebook was misleading, it was referring to long term eating. She told me to stick to 1000 to 1100 calories a day and 45g carbs a day max. So I'm gonna shoot a bit lower at about 900 cals and 30g carbs I think that is much more do-able. And yes, at this early stage I don't want to get used to eating hi cal and hi qty.

My doc advised me between 1000 and 1200 calories a day, and to keep carbs under 45 a day. I count both calories and carbs and have no complaints...I am happy with my loss so far. I do notice a difference in weight loss if I am not getting my Fluid intake daily like I should.

And just "FYI" -- I tried the bit of lowering my calories to 800 a day and I increased my activity... wrong... I did it 2 weeks in a row and both weeks I was under a 1 pound loss..not even a pound.. I shocked my body too much by starving myself.....of course, keep in mind I started my journey at a much, much higher weight than most people...

Good Luck in finding what works for you!!!

Ugh, this is a sticky topic with me. According to the dietician, she wants me eating at least 1200 calories with no definite number on carbs, but to be smart about them. Went for my 3 month post op visit yesterday and told the surgeon's assistant what she said and he disagrees. He says to not focus on calories, just make sure I'm getting my Protein and fluids in and the rest will fall into place. Really? I'm almost three months out! I hate all of this uncertainty and conflicting information. I will just keep on doing what I'm doing because it seems to be working. It's interesting to see what others have been told.

My NUT only really gave me numbers because I asked for clarification. Holly, just like your team, the first thing she told me was she just wanted me to eat til I am satisfied. Really?? I'm sure she is well educated and qualified, but she's young and thin and I doubt she has ever had any overeating issues like I have had all my life. Thank goodness I have you all and this forum where we can relate to each others' struggles.

We must have the same dietician Adri :) Mine is super young and skinny too. And a blonde. And adorable.

Guest Rosalind

We all have to remember that 1200 to 1400 calories for someone who weighs 300 lbs is very different for someone who weighs 150 lbs. It is also different for someone who has been previously banded. That means this is a relative topic that only your doctor who knows your medical history can answer.

Aaahh, great point Rosalind, I hadn't thought of that!

I want to add that most of us are "not" normal. The 1200-1400 calories per day is a standard "diet' for someone that has less than 30lbs to lose. It's a textbook nut answer for how to lose weight.

I barely ate 1200-1400 calories a day in maintenance at 125lbs. If I hit 1400 calories, it was a really good day LOL.

If you read some of the vets out there, from 2-5 years out, we were all on very similar post-op plans. More and more new surgeons are doing sleeves, more and more send you to nut that is NOT trained or experienced with bariatric patients with metabolic issues that can hinder weight loss.

I can honestly say that the people that I've been following for the last year of so that follow a less stringent plan, and just eat smaller portions, post twice as much about stalls, slow weight loss and/or taking forever to get to goal. I know it's not a race on getting to goal, but taking advantage of that first 5-9 month honeymoon period seems to really help people get to goal, and be prepared to get into maintenance a little easier.