Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Prior to surgery I was waking with fasting glucose levels of over 200...often over 300. I started insulin 1 month prior to surgery which brought my fasting glucose down to 100-130 depending on the day.

For surgery and for 24 hours after they had me on a Dextrose drip. My BS was 200 the morning after surgery they weaned down the dextrose. Day 2 after surgery my BS was in the 150's. I was advised to NOT take my insulin or Metformin unless my blood sugar remained over 150.

I am 3 months out from surgery. My Fasting blood sugar this morning was 67. ohmy.gifbiggrin.gif

I was on 2000 mg of metformin, Victoza, and Glyburide and still had fasting sugars of 140, with highs of 260 or so. I took myself off all of those when I did my pre-op (for me all liquids) diet while carefully monitoring my blood sugar, which was excellent during that time. After surgery I never went back to any of the diabetes meds and still check my blood sugars and they have been normal. I just got back my A1C results which are at 6% down from 8.5% a few months prior to surgery. My blood pressure is also down and I am off three blood pressure meds. I am thrilled with those results and the weight loss!

My last 6 glucose tests have averaged 100 or below. I haven't changed my eating this week and after some thought, I figure the improvement is because I have lost another 3 lbs, but also because I have begun doing aerobic exercise everyday. Not just the surgery and weight loss, but the whole lifestyle change that comes with it is what will help the glucose.

What kind of results do diabetics have with this weight loss procedure? Did it make the diabetes better and if so how soon after the surgery?

This was my number 1 reason for doing this surgery. I am a type 2 diabetic and extremely insulin resistant. I was taking over 200 units of insulin plus metformin plus glyburide and still had sugars in the high 200s-300s. During my 10 day pre-op diet my sugars dropped into the 60s and my doctor took me off the metformin and cut my insulin to 20 units a day. Now post-op 10 days and only on the 20 units of insulin and the doctor says he will probably take me off that this week.