Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Madder than A Wet Hen

So, I went on a cruise at the end of May. I totally enjoyed it and didn't really watch what I was eating. Came back and was 128.8 pounds. 0.8 pounds above my "allowed bounce amounts". No big deal - I actually expected worse from all the indulging I allowed myself. Back to normal life & the "world would be good again".

The following week was TOM and spiked up to 131.6. Wasn't worried since I am a daily weigher and often see a spike like that when TOM is here. In mid-June, bounced around between 126 and 128.8. Not really worried, but wondered why I was going above 128.

Well ... now it is July 14th. I've been bouncing around 128 to 129.8. Last night I was trying on some shorts for a weekend get-away. some of them felt tight. WTH????

Today, the scale showed 130.0. I am freaking out ... mad ... and really confused. What could be causing this? I'm not doing anything different.

I keep thinking maybe I'm retaining Water and the heat could be causing some bloating. But, I'm really concerned. Is my honeymoon over? Am I going to be able to maintain the size 4 body at 126 - 128 like I'd hoped? I have a whole new wardrobe - I've invested a lot of money and I really like the way I look in them. Last night, I felt like a big cow. (Naturally, I know I'm not, but that's what I saw in the mirror and I'm afraid of seeing the "old" me again.)

Anyone have any advice? I'm not sure what to do or if I should do anything at all?

Are you journaling your food? If not, I would start there - to make sure you are ingesting more on a daily basis than you think you are. Is your salt intake higher than normal?

Yes - I keep watch on what I eat. Honestly nothing has changed since I started maintenance in January.

I can understand why you are confused... I would be too ( actually, my body confuses me on a daily basis)... could you go back to basics for a week... see what happens?

What about Water? Are you drinking enough, especially if it is hot with you at the moment. I think you might be right on with the swelling... when we get hot weather ( which isn't that often) or when I go on hols to a hot place, I find that I retain Water and swell a little... well, enough to feel uncomfortable!

Honestly, Mini... I really don't think this is a problem for you, more like a blip in the matrix... a learning curve of maintance... let us know how things pan out.

Chin up.... hugs from across the pond! =]

Thanks Coops ... That was a much needed hug!

Thanks Coops ... That was a much needed hug!

The pleasure is all mine... my mini friend!! xx

I don't know where you live, but where I'm at we're in our hottest time of the year. Next week is supposed to be the hottest week of the year. I've maintained my weight for over 2 years, or so my clothes tell me. I've noticed they are fitting a bit more snugly than I remember them fitting last summer. But like you, I'm sure my eating is not the variable. Right now I'm still chalking it up to Water weight due to peak temperatures. I have noticed that at the end of the day my ankles are a bit swollen, so I know I'm retaining some fluids.

Have you changed the TYPES of food you eat? And maybe not the amounts? Ths is kind of a long shot, but maybe you were in a ketosis mode and broke it by introducing more carbs than you typically eat or something. It cam take a while to get back into ketosis. A lot of people can do it quickly, but it takes me about 2 weeks to be in the "active ketosis" pink of my test strips.

Has the position of your scale moved any? My husband has one in our bathroom, which has alternating sizes of tile on the floor and the tile is "textured" -- not all the same height. A few days ago my husband moved his scale to mop and when he put it back, he put it on a grout line without realizing it. He weighed 19lbs heavier (he's 6'5 and about 250 so we'd definitely notice a 20 lb gain on him!) And he has placed it on a different tile, not on a grout line, and had a 4 lb difference.

Unlikelym I know -- but just trying to help think of explanations for you.

So, I went on a cruise at the end of May. I totally enjoyed it and didn't really watch what I was eating. Came back and was 128.8 pounds. 0.8 pounds above my "allowed bounce amounts". No big deal - I actually expected worse from all the indulging I allowed myself. Back to normal life & the "world would be good again".

The following week was TOM and spiked up to 131.6. Wasn't worried since I am a daily weigher and often see a spike like that when TOM is here. In mid-June, bounced around between 126 and 128.8. Not really worried, but wondered why I was going above 128.

Well ... now it is July 14th. I've been bouncing around 128 to 129.8. Last night I was trying on some shorts for a weekend get-away. some of them felt tight. WTH????

Today, the scale showed 130.0. I am freaking out ... mad ... and really confused. What could be causing this? I'm not doing anything different.

I keep thinking maybe I'm retaining Water and the heat could be causing some bloating. But, I'm really concerned. Is my honeymoon over? Am I going to be able to maintain the size 4 body at 126 - 128 like I'd hoped? I have a whole new wardrobe - I've invested a lot of money and I really like the way I look in them. Last night, I felt like a big cow. (Naturally, I know I'm not, but that's what I saw in the mirror and I'm afraid of seeing the "old" me again.)

Anyone have any advice? I'm not sure what to do or if I should do anything at all?

Hi Mini, well darlin' I'm sorry to say the honeymoon is over and you may have to go on a diet. . .here is my depressing story . . . I've been stalled and gaining slowly over 7 months. I stopped dead in my tracks in January and 2 weeks ago i weighed myself and realized i had GAINED 15 lbs over the 7 months. . . WTF was my inital statement, then realization struck. . . i have to go back and do what i've been doing ALL MY LIFE. . . I have to go back on a diet. . . so out came adkins and make sure that i don't go over 900 calories and have less then 40grams of carbs everyday for the next 6 weeks (I'm doing this in little 6 week increments until i reach well below my goal) . . . well my 1st week was a total success I lost 10 lbs. . . I cut out all diet sodas, all alcohol, all breads, no flour products, no fruits, no sweets at all, i drink only Water and crystal lite and coffee. . . a basic meal for me now is 2 eggs in the morning, 1 can of tuna or chicken breast mixed with mayo (1 tblspn) for lunch, and some sort of meat, be it fish, chicken, turkey, or shellfish 1/2 cup for supper. . then water water water until i go to bed and start all over the next day. . . ugh i'm glad i have the sleeve cause it really does help with the hunger and mostly it's head hunger, so the water kills that. . . be strong and fight! This isn't for everyone, but it's working for me. . . good luck to you all and i'll definately herald my success when i hit onederland in about 5 weeks! Wish me luck

Sorry ... I refuse to diet one more day of my life. I will eat healthy and follow my plan of Protein first, but NO MORE DIETING. I have dieted all my life and still ended up obese. I'm tracking what I am eating and looking for triggers, but the diet mindset has ended. I'm eating to live, not living to eat.

I'm on board with the bloating/swelling notion, I "gain" exactly 4 pounds every TOM the week prior that goes away the week of. Also salt is a big culprit and summertime foods like barbeque and margaritas are high in sodium. You never mentioned what your exercise regimen is like? I'd say go one week of trying all the stuff we've mentioned here; fat flushing foods, low salt, extra Water, exercise change up, and if after a week there is no change in either how you feel or the scale, then see your doctor.

As for going on a diet, I am with you, "diets" are cruel and pointless. Of course, I don't consider cutting out flour-based carbs, soda, alcohol, etc. to BE a diet, that to me is just smart healthful living and taking care of my Self.

I'm on board with the bloating/swelling notion, I "gain" exactly 4 pounds every TOM the week prior that goes away the week of. Also salt is a big culprit and summertime foods like barbeque and margaritas are high in sodium. You never mentioned what your exercise regimen is like? I'd say go one week of trying all the stuff we've mentioned here; fat flushing foods, low salt, extra Water, exercise change up, and if after a week there is no change in either how you feel or the scale, then see your doctor.

As for going on a diet, I am with you, "diets" are cruel and pointless. Of course, I don't consider cutting out flour-based carbs, soda, alcohol, etc. to BE a diet, that to me is just smart healthful living and taking care of my Self.

Yes, I agree but have labeled it a "diet" but since I started it last Monday, I've shocked the scale and finally am moving again. . . lost 10 lbs the first week, 2 lbs over the weekend and will post what i've lost this week on friday. . . I'm doing this in little 6 week increments to lose the last 30 lbs that i want so desperately want to lose. . . and it's working absolutely beautifully. . . .

Yeah! I haven't really changed anything (just writing stuff down, but feel like I am eating the same). I am back down to 127 as of this morning. Yahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Remind me of this post IF/WHEN I start freaking out again!!!!! :P )

I'm glad your weight went back down. Every time I travel I pop up to 10-13 lbs and it takes about 2 weeks to get rid of it and I don't know why.

Mini, I'm a bit late to the party, here.... but glad to hear everything is A-OK!!!

Yeah! I haven't really changed anything (just writing stuff down, but feel like I am eating the same). I am back down to 127 as of this morning. Yahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Remind me of this post IF/WHEN I start freaking out again!!!!! :P )

Yippee! I'm so glad you doing better! Yes, we will all remind you about this post when you do this again! :) Keep up the great work!