Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

so, the hair is starting to shed. it's pretty scary to see it coming out. i knew it was coming, and thought i would take it better than i am, but wow. i'm pretty bummed. my hair has always been my THING! i've taken pills, been getting in all my protein....i knew it probably wouldn't make a difference, but still. it's been going on for a few weeks...hopefully it won't last too long. blah! just needed to vent... sad.gif

I'm sorry you're going through this. I'm 5 wks out and I worry about this too. I pray that it won't happen but if it does I pray it will be minimal. From what I've heard it won't last forever so I pray it will be over before you know it. Good luck.

I am right there with you. My started coming out at 2.5 months and hasn't let up. It's a little freaky. The only good thing is that those who are close to me and wouldn't lie about such things, say it isn't noticable.

This may sound funny, but I try really hard not to worry about it since they say stress can add to hairloss. I don't want to be my own worst enemy! :)

Amanda

I'm actually afraid of this too. I dont have a lot that I love about myself physically but my hair is one of the things that I always get complimented on. I was hoping it wasn't going o fall out. Sounds like you did and are doing all you could to prevent it. I guess it's just something we'll all have to go through. Think of it this way: Your hair will come back but your weight won't! Now that's worth it. Hang in there!

My hair has been falling out for three months so far.. I can really notice it, but no one else seems to see it... they are too busy checking out the weight loss! My hair is to my waist, so its looking thin at the ends and will take 5 years to get this long again fully..... Its still shiny at least!

My hair is coming out quite a bit as well. I luckily had a lot of hair to begin with. At the hairdresser today I had it cut to my shoulders probably about 8 inches off and she looked and said it she didn't see any large Patches that is it coming out all around. Hopefully this will stop sooner rather than later.

My hair did not thin till the 7 month mark, and then it did it with a VENGEANCE! I had to by buy a hair piece just to feel better! It it hard, but I figure a small price to pay for the health and weight loss I have achieved!

thanks everyone! i know it's just something i have to go through, and the weight loss and health definitely outweigh it. wink.gif

This is my biggest fear. I have a few wigs already because I think that they're fun, but I don't know how I would feel if I thought that I HAD to wear them. The last time I lost so much weight so rapidly (on Optifast), one of my employees asked me very seriously if I had cancer. I didn't even lose any hair that time! I can only imagine how much my office would worry if I started losing my hair in addition to rapidly losing weight. :(

Mine started to shed a few weeks ago and it is typical after any surgery. I lost way more after my knee surgery a few years ago and it shed for what seems like forever (at least six months). I had much longer hair then (down to my waist) but I cut it all off last year. I do use a Protein filler for my hair and it really helps with breakage. A few times a week, I spray it in my hair at night after I wash it (I spray enough in my already damp hair until it drips), massage it into the scalp, and let it air dry. You can pick up protein filler (and I think it is called just that) at Sally Beauty Supply. Hair dressers add it to hair dye to prevent breakage from the chemicals. It will not prevent your hair from falling but mine has slowed down dramatically since I started using it and like I said, it has only been a few weeks.

I definitely dread the thought of losing my hair. Like others have stated about their hai, mine is down to my rear and is very shiny. That has been the one thing that I've gotten compliments on over the years. The thought of parting with it...well, it freaks me out. My hubby said he'd love me even if all my hair fell out. I just hope it wouldn't make me want to hide from the world again.

Also, I had my nutritional class for soft foods stage this past Monday. I asked the dietitian if there was anything I could take or eat to keep it from happening and if making sure I get all my Protein in would ensure little to no Hair loss. She said there is really nothing you could do. That the anthethesia would actually cause hair loss but that even though it would be noticeable to me, it probably wouldn't be to others. She also stated that if I start losing tons of hair where it is noticeable to others that that would be a sign that in the first few months, I didn't get enough Protein. Well, I will enjoy my hair while I have it and try not to worry about it.

I definitely dread the thought of losing my hair. Like others have stated about their hai, mine is down to my rear and is very shiny. That has been the one thing that I've gotten compliments on over the years. The thought of parting with it...well, it freaks me out. My hubby said he'd love me even if all my hair fell out. I just hope it wouldn't make me want to hide from the world again.

Also, I had my nutritional class for soft foods stage this past Monday. I asked the dietitian if there was anything I could take or eat to keep it from happening and if making sure I get all my Protein in would ensure little to no Hair loss. She said there is really nothing you could do. That the anthethesia would actually cause hair loss but that even though it would be noticeable to me, it probably wouldn't be to others. She also stated that if I start losing tons of hair where it is noticeable to others that that would be a sign that in the first few months, I didn't get enough Protein. Well, I will enjoy my hair while I have it and try not to worry about it.

People who get tons of protein still lose their hair. Protein is important to avoid muscle loss...

People who get tons of protein still lose their hair. Protein is important to avoid muscle loss...

Think of it this way: Your hair will come back but your weight won't! Now that's worth it. Hang in there!

I love this attitude. I am going to start saying this to myself every time I clean up my hair that comes out when I brush it!

Living the dream,

Laura

What I want to know is: Does it come back?!!?!?!? I'm 5 weeks out and it already started to fall ou! It was already thinning due to thyroid issues! I saw a patient at my surgeons office yesterday who mentioned that when hers starting falling out she immediately double up on her vitamines. She had beautiful hair though so maybe it just worked for her. I really hate this part LOL!