Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Friends told me to slow down :(

Ok I started out at 417. Today I am 388. I had my surgery 6/28. I started out walking 2 houses and back every day. Each day I add another 2 houses. So I finally made it all the way around the block and it is a major victory for me!! Prior to surgery, I could barely make it up out of the chair and walk across the room. So for me this is a big deal. I posted it on my FB and next thing I know I have like 3 different FB friends telling me to slow down b/c I'm doing too much. I'm overdoing it. I need to let my body recover. I need to just take it easy etc. Really irked me.

Hey...

Firstly, congrats on making the move... I think that is shows a great deal of courage and determination on your behalf... well done! You have mad a fantastic start!

As regards the comments, they might be well intended? But my advise would be to follow what YOUR body says... if it isn't giving you any signs to stop then don't. Take each day one at a time and see how your body reacts. From experience, my body tells me when I need to slow down and when I need to push myself.

Good luck on the rest of your journey... =]

Hi-

only you know how much YOU should be doing...

don't let the lil voices in your head slow you down!

you can do more than YOU think....

as far as people and good intentions, smile.

I had a person in my 14 week group tell me I'm loosing too much weight too fast...

(that is why I am there?)

and I exercise too much...

according to my magnificent Dr. I was doing everything right... (lol- did he know I drank some wine?)

She told the class she hadn't lost any weight and she was on pre-op diet...

obviously she has issues...

Why do people try to sabotage ???

congrats on your walking... our teacher in class suggested that same thing, 2 houses each day-

we worked up to 3 miles per. total of 70 miles walked pre -op.

now- it's back to the grind- need to walk...

First of all CONGRATS on the walking!!!!!! That is great!!!! I remember when I parked as close as I could anywhere I went, due to the fact I was completly out of breath by the time I reached the enterence. Now I park where ever. As far as the well meaning people, that is what they are, "well meaning" and they do have your best intrest at heart. However YOU know how YOU feel after your walks. If it seems to beome too much you will slow down. I had some "well meaning" people at work trying to give me advice on how much weight I should be losing. LOL.... I just smiled and went about my business. Again this is all about YOU, and not anyone else. Again Congrats!!!!!!! Keep us posted!!!!

Deb

As other posted, do what you feel that you can do. It is awesome just being able to walk so much farther then what you could before surgery. Within a week after my surgery I was walking a mile or more a day. it was broken up in 2-3 trips. Walking is very important so just do what you can and keep hydrated while walking. Good Luck!

Hi CoffeeTX-

Congrats on your successes! One thing I've learned on this journey is that everyone's an expert- or least they think they are because their friend's cousin's niece did this, and you know... Ha! Once I realized that people usually share because they truly care it made listening to their opinions easier (no matter how ill-informed they are). My generaly reaction is to smile and respond, "Thank you, but my doctor and I are comfortable with my current choices. I appreciate your concern." There really isn't much left for them to say at that point. Then, change the subject and move on. :) Add, once you've them shut down with the above phrase a couple of time *most* will cease with the "advice".

Good luck to you and keep moving! You're on the right track. :)

Amanda

You are two weeks out from major surgery. Sounds like you have nice friends who are genuinely concerned about you overdoing it. People who haven't had the surgery don't understand the importance of getting up and going. Doesn't mean they are trying to discourage you. Amanda131 gave a good suggestion I think for how to respond. If people make friendly but misguided suggestions to me I just say, "I understand your concern, but it's on my doctor's plan" and leave it at that. Btw, you are doing great!

I agree with COOPS!! Do what you can!! If you feel like you can do more then do more, if you feel like you need to take it easy, then do that too!! Only you know how YOU feel!

Good job!!

:D

Kelly

Sweetie you move as much or less as you want to!! Only you know how much you can take! Congrats on the 2 house move! :D :D

Keep up the good work and happy loosing!!

It sounds to me, and I'm no expert, that you are doing AMAZING!! I'm so proud of you. :)

The support group here is in full force and they are spot on. If you can walk, then by all means that is what you should do. From the day you prepared for your sleeve, life has been a new journey. Now it's time to let your body come back to you and find a new you. You're doing great!