Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need some help from experienced sleevers!

I need some help from you vets out there! I'm about 4 1/2 weeks out. I am struggling with food. I am in the soft food phase. Protein Shakes are still disgusting. I get them down as best I can. I still need them to meet my minimum protein- which I have been not meeting the last week or so. When I eat, I can just tolerate a few bites. The thing is, no matter what, shakes or food, my stomach is constantly in a state of turmoil! I often get the runs right after. I seemed to be doing really well before this phase. Is it because of the soft foods? Now I don't seem to even tolerate the mushies! Like I took a step back. I see my surgeon next week and of course I will check in about this. But, I was wondering if anyone else went through this and or if they have any ideas. I am hoping it's an adjustment phase but I am feeling a little scared. Thanks for any help or suggestions!!!

Sorry, I don't really have any advice as I did not have that issue. I do know that liquid in = liquid out. :blink:

It may be that your new tummy just needs a bit more time. When do you see your doctor? Early next week? If so, just get in what you can tolerate. If it's later next week, you may want to call today & see if they can offer suggestions.

I will tell you that my stomach was a MESS for about a month. I had the squirts until I went to solid foods. Protein drinks made it worse and all my stomach did was rumble!!

I could get it down, I was not nauseated or throwing up, but it was coming out the other end ALOT!! I didn't feel bad I just had to go when I would drink those shakes and eat soft-calorie food!! :( I don't know if it is becuase our new tummy's don't like it already smashed or what, but that was my experience.

When I started solid food after week 4, it stopped and I am fine now! I am 8 1/2 weeks out and have not had that issue since. Make sure you are drinking a lot of Water, as you don't want to get dehydrated.

I was not able to eat much either. One thing that really helped me was Carnation Instant Breakfast sugar free!!! I mixed it with Light Silk vanilla. YUMMY! You can use whatever milk you like, but it tastes good and doesn't make me sick!! I also used Slim Fast Low carb. Both per the advice of my nut.

You may want to try not using the Protein Drinks for a few days to see if that helps you. You might be intolerant to them!!

Hope this helps you! ;)

Kelly

Thank you so much guys! Kelly, you described it PERFECTLY!!! I appreciate your tips on the Protein Drinks too. I will give them a try. You may be right. I may just be intollerant to them, not just the "milk." It really helps to hear you went through this and was able to move on. I'll keep working on this. Thanks again. I really appreciate it!!!