Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One Year Later-----I need some feedback.

I weighed over 400 pounds about 18 months ago---I know weigh 335. My goal is to settle around 230. I have hit a wall and need some feedback on how to get to my goal.

I had by sleeve surgery on July 26, 2010. Almost one year later, I am down about 70 pounds and definetely feel better. The problem is I dropped 60 of those pounds the first 6 months and only 8-9 pounds in the past 5 months. I find myself eating anything I want---with the oly restrictions being the amount I eat. I do make better choices but I struggle with eating sweets and drinking soft drinks as I did in the "old" days. I want to begin a new phase and try to lose 50 pounds or so in the next 6-8 months and lose the remaining 105 pounds in about 12-18 months. Any suggestions from others on how to "kick start" this new phase and suggestions on what to eat and what type of exercising to do?

I think you should restrict eating sweets to once a week and stop drinking soft drinks! Soft drinks make the stomach grow and you will soon find yourself eating more and more... It would be a shame to waste the effort you have made to date. Maybe also try some exercise, especially walking at a fast pace so that you can get your heart rate up.

If you want a kick start, I would suggest doing something similar to the induction phase of Atkins, and then following through with a reduced carb diet. I know a lot of people follow strict diets, and I know a lot try to eat "normal," just less of it. I would NOT advocate exceptionally low carb meals as a long term weightloss strategy, but for "kick starting" loss and something maintainable while you're slowly adapting to a new eating lifestyle (lower carb) it is generally effective. More so with males (if you're a HS FB Coach I'm making the assumption - perhaps with a bit of sexism - that you're a male). For whatever reason, guys just rock low carb diets.

A lot of people who have had WLS and need to reach those final pounds find it's almost impossible to do unless they follow some type of diet other than portion. Low carb seems to be among the more effective.

The induction phase of Atkins looks something like 20gm carbs a day, no more. Limited amounts of a few lower carb veggies. meats, cheeses, etc. as long as they fit within the 20gm guideline. About 2tbl of cream cheese or heavy whipping cream allowed. Adding in healthy fats like olive oil whenever possible - e.g. stir some into tuna salad, use it as Salad Dressing, etc.

In fact, on induction, the more fat you eat then typically the more weight you lose.

You could always try the 5 day pouch test, I did it at the beg of the year. I didn't lose a huge amount of weight, but it was good as it helped me focus on the restriction and food choices. It might be worth a shot? Just type it into your search engine for details.

Also going back to basics would be a good idea... weighing your food, logging your carbs and cals... just for a couple of weeks to make sure you are on the right lines.

I would defo ditch the sweets, at least until you see the scale move.

Another thing... do you drink plenty of Water? I know that if I don't I feel hungry/empty more... it really helps me to stop snacking too.

Just a few suggestions... let us know what you decide.

First of all ... congratulations! I know you must feel better with that much weight off already. Stay focused on that good feeling.

My suggestion for eating would be to go back to basics. Look at your food plan for what you were "allowed" to eat once you got back to solid foods.

Protein first, then veggies, and then some (healthy) carbs. Walking is probably the best thing to do. Gets your heart rate up & is a physical reminder of what you are trying to accomplish - getting healthier.

Another thing is to read these forums and develop a support group. We can help keep you accountable and offer advice when you hit those ups and downs.

Remember ... this is a journey ... it doesn't have to be fast ... it has to be what is right for you and sustainable the rest of your life.

GOOD LUCK! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!

I weighed over 400 pounds about 18 months ago---I know weigh 335. My goal is to settle around 230. I have hit a wall and need some feedback on how to get to my goal.

I had by sleeve surgery on July 26, 2010. Almost one year later, I am down about 70 pounds and definetely feel better. The problem is I dropped 60 of those pounds the first 6 months and only 8-9 pounds in the past 5 months. I find myself eating anything I want---with the oly restrictions being the amount I eat. I do make better choices but I struggle with eating sweets and drinking soft drinks as I did in the "old" days. I want to begin a new phase and try to lose 50 pounds or so in the next 6-8 months and lose the remaining 105 pounds in about 12-18 months. Any suggestions from others on how to "kick start" this new phase and suggestions on what to eat and what type of exercising to do?

Hi there! I'm right there with you. . .I had my surgery on Dec 29, 2009 and have lost an incredible 150 lbs . . . however since January 2011 it slowed down and came to a screeching halt. . . I've teeter between 200 - 210 lbs all the time. . . i have found what my problem is has been night eating. . . ugh that was my big problem before surgery too. . . so i've tried to decrease that bad habit. . .as with sodas, i drink diet, but limit them to 2 a day. . . instead of potatoe chips I eat Pork rinds, instead of chocolate at night i eat those whipped chocolate mousse yogurt things (only 1 though) and/or some yummy fruit. . . and of course TONS of Water splashed with lime juice and lots of ice. . . for my alcoholic beverages, I use a little diet soda, splash of lime juice and rum and limit it to Friday and Saturday only. . . never beer or malt beverages. it's the little changes that could help. . . i haven't lost any weight by doing this but I haven't gained either and to me that is the most important. . . you could throw in extra exercise as well to help boost your metabolism a bit. . . good luck, i hope this helps you. . . some folks will think this is totally dumb, but it works for me. . .

WALKING!!!!!! my boyfriend only recently had this surgery done, but he says the best way to keep his mind off of food is to walk, and so far we've walked every single day!

You've come so far and you should be proud of that in itself, just be persistent and you will break through this wall!

Good luck :)