Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PCOS and the Sleeve

Searched PCOS on this site and saw the article posted in June by moderator Alex (sorry could not figure out how to get the article here)....anyway.....article said that 100 percent of the 500+ pt with PCOS became preggers after sleeve surgery. I had one son naturally who is now 20 (when I was 120 lbs) After 16 years and three fertility doctors (and man did all the fertility meds help pile on the pounds!) we gave up on having another ourselves and adopted a beautiful baby girl. I have not taken birth control in 20 years......kind of freaking out here.....I am 45 now.....scared of having a baby at my age (downs syndrom etc). Anyone else going through this? Guess I could go back and have a tubal ligation....but did not really plan on another surgery this year ????

Oh I feel your pain!!!! I have been on birth control for my PCOS and my husband and I adopted two wonderful little ladies from China who are now almost 10 and 5! I'm 46 and he is 55 and we don't want anymore!!!! I'm seeing that around here any of the hormonal birth control methods are unrelieable and since I haven't birthed a child Mirena would be tough to get in....so my dr said for my hubby to have a vasectomy!!!!!! Wow...don't want any accidents either! Too old!!!! Let me know if you get any great ideas! Tracy W.

I got a Mirena in February... (shhh... I've haven't had sex yet!!)... My gyn placed it during the last day of my cycle (sounds disgusting, I was freaked out, but it wasn't so bad).. and it went in w/o a hitch....

Oh I feel your pain!!!! I have been on birth control for my PCOS and my husband and I adopted two wonderful little ladies from China who are now almost 10 and 5! I'm 46 and he is 55 and we don't want anymore!!!! I'm seeing that around here any of the hormonal birth control methods are unrelieable and since I haven't birthed a child Mirena would be tough to get in....so my dr said for my hubby to have a vasectomy!!!!!! Wow...don't want any accidents either! Too old!!!! Let me know if you get any great ideas! Tracy W.

I'm sooo glad to hear about this. Hubby and I have been trying for a few years now and failing the meds really depressed me. My cousin just had invitro and it worked, but the whole procedure was agony for her. My cycles are regular now that I'm post op and we will try for baby again probably in the fall. :)

I'm sooo glad to hear about this. Hubby and I have been trying for a few years now and failing the meds really depressed me. My cousin just had invitro and it worked, but the whole procedure was agony for her. My cycles are regular now that I'm post op and we will try for baby again probably in the fall. :)

Same here girl! How long post surgery did it take for your periods to regulate?

Immediately!! And they aren't superheavy anymore. I know when they are coming and pretty much when they will end!

WHAAAT? I can't even imagine!?!?! I also have a bunch or the pcos symptoms like facial hair and hair thinning on top and cysts/boils on my body. Did you have any of that? If so I hope it's gotten better! The pcos is the main reason for me doing this. I can't stand to live with all this. Plus my fiancées wife passed from cancer that started as pcos. Can you imagine?!? I could never do that to him again. Loosing his wife was very hard on him and being able to open his heart again only to find someone headed for the same place has got to scare him more than he let's on.

Looking forward to having a normal cycle!!!

Yeah! I was amazed too! When I went in for surgery, I had my period and it had been going on for about 2 months. I lost about 15 pounds quick right before surgery doing sooper no carb and the day after surgery my period had stopped. I figured it was something to do with anesthesia. So 4 weeks later I am wondering where my period went and then I get it. And it only lasted 7 days. It did it again all these other months too! I didn't have all of the symptoms of PCOS, but ultrasounds had shown the cysts, and my periods have always been wack. When I tried the provera and clomid to start my cycle and try to get pregnant before, it didn't do a darn thing. It was very depressing. Have you been sleeved yet? I wish you luck!

WHAAAT? I can't even imagine!?!?! I also have a bunch or the pcos symptoms like facial hair and hair thinning on top and cysts/boils on my body. Did you have any of that? If so I hope it's gotten better! The pcos is the main reason for me doing this. I can't stand to live with all this. Plus my fiancées wife passed from cancer that started as pcos. Can you imagine?!? I could never do that to him again. Loosing his wife was very hard on him and being able to open his heart again only to find someone headed for the same place has got to scare him more than he let's on.

Looking forward to having a normal cycle!!!

Wow! That's so amazing. I hope that happens for me! I honestly wouldn't even know what a normal cycle is! Mine has been wacky as long as I've had it. I'm going to get my surgery next month. I'm so excited I wish it were tomorrow!

I have all the symptoms you describe, Shelley! Been living with PCOS for years. I was lucky enough to have my miracle baby 2.5 years ago, though, as a late mommy - I'm 38. It is scary with the worries about birth defects, etc, and my doctor has forewarned me about making sure I stay on BC if I don't want to get pregnant again. I have also heard that the fertility is the first thing to come back after some weight loss...but the facial hair never goes away :( When I lost weight before (80 pounds) my boils/hydradenitis went away for the most part - can't wait for that again! Hair loss gets worse before it grows back because of the shock to the system. About three months after the surgery is when it starts to fall out, if it's going to happen - some get lucky and they don't get that, but many do. It's because of the hormonal upheaval from rapid weight loss.

Hoping to have my sleeve next month, too! It will be interesting to see exactly how much of my PCOS issues will resolve with massive weight loss. Good luck!!

Ok ok. I cab deal with the facial hair. I own a waxing salon so I think I'll be fine. Lol. The Hair loss thing bites because I'm already practically bald on top. But it's exciting that my hair will come back!!! I think my only regret with this surgery is going to be that I didn't do it sooner.

Thank you minimommy. Congrats on your miracle! I know how hard it can be w pcos. I hope you are able to get your surgery, where will you be going?

Does anyone else think it's wacky that 38 is "late" to have a baby? In France most women wait till their 30s before starting a family. Although most other countries dont shove all kinds of junk in the foods that give us infertility like pcos.

Ok now I'm babbling.

I had my surgery on May 13, 2011 and I stil haven't had my period. I am 44 years old and haven't had one in a long while!!! I've lost 44.5 lbs. so far, but nothing. I had thought it would have come back by now. Any comments???

It does seem that it is easier to get pregnant in a healthy weight range. If you really don't want any more kids, did you consider having your hubby get a vasectomy? It takes 30 minutes, is much less invasive and they are fully recovered in just a couple of days. Mine went back to work the next day actually. Good luck!