Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how much food should i start out with???

Tomorrow I am officially starting soft foods!! How many eggs should I start out with? What could you eat when u first started soft foods and how much?? Could you give me what a sample day would be for ur meals?? Thanks so much!!

When I first started soft foods, this is what I had.

Day 1

Breakfast

1 scrambled egg topped with 1 T. shredded cheddar

1/4 c. sugar free yogurt with 1/2 scoop of unflavored Protein powder

lunch

1/4 c. fat free cottage cheese

1/4 c. sugar free pudding with 1/2 scoop Protein Powder

dinner

1/4 c. refried Beans topped with cheese

1/4 c. fat free ricotta with 2 T. applesauce and a sprinkle of cinnamon

Day 2

Breakfast

1 hard boiled egg

1/4 c. applesauce with 1/2 scoop Protein Powder

lunch

2 egg omelet with 2 T. cheddar cheese and 1 T. salsa

1/4 c. sugar free pudding with 1/2 scoop Protein powder

dinner

1/2 c. Ricotta cheese with low sugar spaghetti sauce topped with mozzarella and parmesan

1/4 c. sugar free pudding with 1/2 scoop protein powder

I did not even come close to finishing any of these meals. LOL To be honest I was really scared to take the first few bites.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that at 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. I had Protein shakes as my snack

Buy medium eggs. You won't be able to eat a large one if you add another item to your meal. (If I had a large egg, my little chihuahua Nico would get half of it for his Breakfast. Lucky dog!

Breakfast: scrambled egg; 2 tablespoons of cottage cheese

lunch and/or Dinner: 4 tablespoons total of any of these or a combination of these: non-fat refried Beans, cheddar cheese, hummus, cottage cheese, deviled ham or chicken or egg salad. pureed squash; applesauce.

And yes, Protein shakes, and yogurt for Snacks and as much Water as I could fit in.

They say to stay away from spice but I would use herbs...like adding parsley to my scrambled eggs or hummus and dill to my egg salad. Making your food tasty at this stage is important. I put a little taco sauce on my chicken and Beans and cheese too. Yummy!

Buy a variety of foods, because honestly I think the mushy stage gets old fast.

Will i know when to stop eating? LIke today i almost fiished one scrambled egg for breakfast. Stopped because i wasn't sure when i was full or not. FOr lunch i had half a scrambled egg and some cottage cheese. 3 hrs later i had few bites of cottage cheese again. I haven't felt the "full" feeling yet. And i don't want to eat to the point of being sick. But im not sure when and if ill feel full ? :(

Juzmejnee- I am 10 days post-op and feel the same way?! I also have to remind myself to eat.

WOW! When I was able to start mushies, I couldn't even get down a whole poached egg! How far out from surgery were you guys when you could get down a half cup at one sitting? I am 9 weeks out from surgery and I cannot eat that much at one sitting.

Living the dream,

Laura

Here are some ideas of what I ate during mushy phase:

Breakfast:

Cream of wheat (high Protein packets) added 1/4 cup of nonfat dried milk powder

cinnamon and 1/2 packet of Splenda

OR

scrambled egg (w/out milk) and lowfat cheddar cheese or egg beaters w/low fat cheddar

Lunch:

tuna, chicken or egg salad in food processor with light mayo

I would add a little bit of Frank's hot sauce to "spice" things up :)

1/4 cup of V8 juice but usually never finished it

Dinner:

Refried Beans with lowfat cheddar cheese and Frank's hot sauce or ricotta cheese, a little Tomato sauce (low sodium) and lowfat mozz cheese

Snacks: high Protein sugar free/fat free pudding. I added 1 scoop of high protein whey powder and used lactaid nonfat milk. YUMMO also greek nonfat plain yogurt with a 1/2 packet of splenda & cinnamon.

I usually have 4-5 oz of a Protein shake @ 10am and again @ 3pm

I tried to limit my carbs as much as possible but everyone is different. Enjoy this phase of food. The liquid stage was SOOOOO hard :)

All the best on your journey!

Dawn :)

At two out of surgery I ws able to eat soft foods, thank god, because I couldn't do the Protein Shakes. My favorites were and stills are a egg , rolled turkey breast, cottage cheese, chili, and cheese. Even at 8 months out I still mostly eat these foods, along with chicken breast and a little red meat. Eat slow and soon you will learn your signals when your tummy has had enough, for me its a hiccup.

My plan started me at 1/4 c 3 times a day. And now I am at 1/2 c 3 times a day. I NEVER eat that much, probably could depending on what it is, but I don't. For the simple fact I don't want to feel full and be uncomfortable. I have never felt my restriction and I will be 9 weeks out on Monday!

I truely undereat my sleeve and only eat til I am satisfied and I am fine with that!

Kelly :)

Thank you everyone! I feel like ive been eating more than i should, but i NEVER feel sick or throw up or anything. i do stop eating because im afraid of getting sick. So i haven't pushed myself or felt the restriction yet. Also its hard for me to chew chew chew. I do my best though! I know i eat more than 4 tablespoons. Maybe more like 7 ??? Is that bad? ive heard we don't really know when we are full, because our stomach isn't able to tell our brain yet that we are full. Do you think im pushing it?

I was sleeved June 20th and can only eat 2-4 tsp of anything before I start to feel ill. I am still sipping Water and Protein drinks. If I could name my sleeve it would be BI !!! I hope this gets better not having the greatest of times now but yall tell me it gets better...right? Is purees and mushy the same?

Melissa