Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone. I've always wondered if people who get futher out fall off the wagon and just are too embarassed to come back and check in but it seems like you just love life too much to post on here. At least that's how I've felt recently!

I went to Bonnaroo music festival in June and it was amazing. Let me say that at least 30 times over those 4 days I thought, "The sleeve is the best thing I've ever done for myself." I'd go through all the trouble and pain 100 fold if I had known how it would turn out.

The reason I'm here posting is I wanted to issue a little warning and perhaps see if others have had a same experience. I'm not looking for guidance or to be preached to so if that's what you are here to do I can save your fingers some typing and tell you I don't care. Here's a very honest (perhaps too honest) tell of what happened.

I went out with a couple friends to a bar on a Saturday night. I had been eating crap foods for the last week or so but still yet had eaten that day an egg and 1/2 a sandwich. I had not drank anything but maybe 6oz. So I went to the bar and as soon as I get there she orders me a Tequilla sunrise. Yuck but since it was a gift I drink it over then next hour or so. I was also smoking ciggerettes something which has crept back up on me in the last month. I had quit for years, started preop, quit preop, started again at Bonnaroo and I've been struggling since. As I started drinking I said I was hungry and one of the cooks we know brought me two chicken tenders with honey mustard. I ate. About an hour later we went upstarirs to see a punk band that a friend was in and then went to talk to them after the show. They had several party favors, I decided to partake in only a tiny bit of the least of the evils, after smoking I ordered a cranberry vodka and we were sitting around talking. I began to see the room swim. Right as a guy came up to hit on me (haha) all the sounds in the room changed as if I were in a tunnel. I started getting very hot. I told my friend I needed to go to the bathroom now! We started walking down the hall and I felt as though I was going to passout. We went into the bathroom and my body started shaking back and forth quit violently and then I fell. My friend caught me and I laid on the floor. She started putting wet clothes all over me. I felt as though I might die at that point. There wasn't any pysical symptoms I can remember but it was like my body was trying to shut down. My face was white and my lips white and blue. I couldn't have physically gotten up if I had needed to. She kept pouring cold Water on me and wiping my face. After 20 minutes or so I was able to sit up and then stand later. They placed me infront of a huge fan outside and then drove me home. I haven't felt anything like that since.

Thoughts I've had are:

I thougth it was bloodsugar but I had just eaten and infact had some bacon 10 mintues before this happened.

Two drinks usually does nothing to me. Especially over a 2-3 hr period.

The party favors weren't anything I hadn't had before and came from a trusted source. When I say a little I mean a very little.

One other thing to note is the very same experience happend to a DS friend the week before. She had 1 drink and had eaten, none of the same other factors, and straight passed out in the middle of a club we were at. I was the one who caught her and took her home. She went to her Dr had a full blood panel and they said they had no idea what had happened.

SO.. That's my experience. I thougth a couple times about posting or not posting it but I figured if someone else has had this happen they could shed light. If it happens to someone else on here they might be comforted that it happened to me and here I am a week later fine. I'm so glad I had a friend with me, I don't know what would have happened had I not and I'm so glad I was light enough for her to catch. I didn't bat an eyelash when the guys were going to carry me out either.

I am wondering if you were dehydrated when you arrived at the club. That plus a couple drinks might hit you pretty hard. Glad to hear you're feeling better.

That's so freakin scary and I'm glad you're ok now! I agree with the possible dehydration but also electrolytes. Alcohol messes with those as well. Add heat and sweating and it's a recipe for disaster. I seriously hope you go to the doctor and let them do some testing. Don't take a chance with this, it's to scary!

xoxo's, Renee`

Blood sugar is not affected by Protein. It is affected by sugar, hence the name blood "sugar". The fact you ate bacon before you passed out, has nothing to do with your blood sugar. My guess is dehydrated and overheated.

Have you drink much since having your sleeve? I mean to know how it affects you.

I will say, last year I had a mix of vodka and cranberry juice and it pretty much knocked me out. I think it was the vodka itself....it was a fruity brand. And I have not had the sleeve yet.

Or maybe someone put something in your drink.....sure glad you had a friend with you.

Hey girl, come back and let us know you're ok and if you got checked out. It's scary what happened to you and we'll worry and send the Internet Stalkers Association to come hunt you down! LOL

Seriously though, you doing better?

xoxo, Renee`

OK... this was me 2 Fridays ago, and the Friday before that too... ( so 2 Fridays in a row!!!)

Here's the email i sent to my doc:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Last week on Friday, I full on fainted.. I was dancing and felt really dizzy, so, i drank a couple of glasses of ice Water, and some cider, then the room started spinning and i sat down.. tried to stand up and the room spun more and my legs felt wobbly.. sat down again and woke up on the floor with people grabbing me... I blacked out completely because I don't remember anything..

Tonight... same thing.. not as severe.. no spinning just weak legs, then woozy and sat down.. put my head between my knees .. and bam.. woke up on the floor again....

Any idea about what is wrong with me?? Once is not really a big deal but 2 times in 8 days... I'm starting to worry a bit.... HELP!!

fyi... good sodium intake and even made a point today to ask the bartender to add sugar to my cranberry/cider (non-alcoholic) cocktail...and drank lots of water...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So, on both of those days, my hydration was great, but my calorie count was really low.... i would say that it is low blood-sugar... My doctor responded that it is not a big deal, and actually quite normal... 2 reasons... malnutrition and rapid weight loss.. My GP did a full blood scan and it was normal... he thought malnutrition too and recommended I eat a tiny bit of anything every 2 hours... Have done that for the last week and a half and feel so much better!!!

In addition i would say it was also because i had been dancing a LOT, the club was bloody hot, and quite packed... Sound familiar??

So, my solution: stay hydrated... one drink maximum and keep some beef Jerky in my bag to snack on... it has REALLY helped... I went dancing the next day, did this, and i was fine... of course my friends are still kinda freaking out, so they make me take a break from dancing to eat.... if you are like me you don't want to eat past lunchtime on days you will go out, but that doesn't work cuz 12 hours without food, plus a LOT of freaking exercise dancing (1 hour at my weight burns 1000 calories)... equals the room spinning and passing out in front of my friends (and the very cute bartender who is never going to ask me out now that i have fainted in front of him TWICE... bloody hell!)

What do you think???

Ummmm... Sorry, but ALL FOODS affect your blood sugar level... not just sugar... Here is how:

When you eat, your body breaks food down into glucose, the main sugar found in the blood and the body’s main source of energy:

• Food is eaten and converted to glucose (sugar); (THIS INCLUDES PROTEIN)
  • Blood sugar rises;
  • Insulin is made by pancreas and released into blood stream;
  • Blood sugar moves from blood stream into cells and tissues;
  • Excess insulin that is not used is stored as body fat.

Here is a good information sheet on the subject: http://www.lillydiabetes.com/Pages/how-food-affects-blood-sugar.aspx

Blood sugar is not affected by Protein. It is affected by sugar, hence the name blood "sugar". The fact you ate bacon before you passed out, has nothing to do with your blood sugar. My guess is dehydrated and overheated.

There are certain party favors that you shouldn't mix with alcohol. Maybe that, coupled with dehydration, was the culprit.

Starygirl--are you diabetic to know that answer or are you just copying and pasting? I was a diabetic for 10 years.

How does food affect your blood sugar level? In diabetes all foods are not created equal. Not all foods have an adverse effect on blood glucose levels. Which foods are unlikely to affect your blood sugar? Protein and fat. The foods that least likely to cause a blood glucose spike? Non starchy vegetables. Mixed/combination foods will cause a lower post prandial rise in blood glucose. Not used much in this country as a guideline to control blood glucose is the glycemic index, which simply put gives an idea of how carbohydrates will affect blood sugar levels two to three hours after eating. The best site to read up on the glycemic index is mendosa.com, it is simple and thorough.

From my diabetic ed class....I think being taught this and also monitoring blood sugars after meals and noticing no affect after eating Protein (bacon included) gives me clearance to state the bacon did not raise her blood sugar. Now, read this link...look for bacon....NO GI LOAD---which means doesn't affect blood sugar

http://www.myfit.ca/glycemic_index.asp

It's nice you want to help, as I do, but don't guess, it could really give a person the wrong information.

Tnt is right, unless it was sugar / maple cured etc. Some bacons have sugars added. Normally Proteins don't affect your blood sugar IF they're not cured with sugar added to them, watch those ingredients. Also, things eaten with fats (the good kind please) don't seem to make sugars rise so quickly...something to do with buffering it a bit as it goes into the bloodstream.

Proteins and fats do have a minor impact on blood sugar levels, and i think the whole point was not that her blood sugar levels were too high, but rather were too low...

Some research has shown that eating Protein can actually lower or stabilize blood-sugar levels for a period of time.. and that the consumption of fats can slow the emptying of the stomach, which inhibits spikes in blood-sugar.

Check out this article: http://www.nutrition.../content/3/1/16

And just because you are diabetic does not make you the know all of this forum... I've studied nutrition too.... And I wasn't saying anything about the bacon, rather a response to the idea that only sugar affects blood-sugar levels, which is wrong because the body processes all foods into glucose (to varying degrees depending on what kind of food is eaten)... this includes proteins... because amino acids derived from Protein are converted to glucose through gluconeogenesis

An interesting bit of research: http://www.insulin-p.../pfandbs-2.html

look it up... very simple to do... and you shouldn't make comments about misinforming people, when that is exactly what you did. A general statement like yours: "Blood sugar is not affected by protein. It is affected by sugar.." could be misleading for people, making them believe that only eating sugary substances will impact their blood-sugar level.

Be nice!! Everyone is entitled to have a say.... This is a forum of discussion, education and support...

Starygirl--are you diabetic to know that answer or are you just copying and pasting? I was a diabetic for 10 years.

How does food affect your blood sugar level? In diabetes all foods are not created equal. Not all foods have an adverse effect on blood glucose levels. Which foods are unlikely to affect your blood sugar? Protein and fat. The foods that least likely to cause a blood glucose spike? Non starchy vegetables. Mixed/combination foods will cause a lower post prandial rise in blood glucose. Not used much in this country as a guideline to control blood glucose is the glycemic index, which simply put gives an idea of how carbohydrates will affect blood sugar levels two to three hours after eating. The best site to read up on the glycemic index is mendosa.com, it is simple and thorough.

From my diabetic ed class....I think being taught this and also monitoring blood sugars after meals and noticing no affect after eating protein (bacon included) gives me clearance to state the bacon did not raise her blood sugar. Now, read this link...look for bacon....NO GI LOAD---which means doesn't affect blood sugar

http://www.myfit.ca/glycemic_index.asp

It's nice you want to help, as I do, but don't guess, it could really give a person the wrong information.

I rarely drink, but I did have a grape vodka and diet sprite drink on wednesday and it hit pretty hard. I'm pretty sure I was buzzed-drunk after the first drink. It was so good that I bought the stuff for it and made it again last night. Again, I was woozy after 1. Never would have called myself a light-weight before surgery!

We will have to agree to disagree. Blood sugar is not affected by Protein in the fact that it will spike your blood sugar is a true statement. Proteins do not spike blood sugar. That seems to be what Southernsleever was stating. She thought her blood sugar was off but she ate bacon so that wasn't it. If the episode was caused by low blood sugar and she dismissed it b/c she had eaten bacon, the bacon would not have risen her blood sugar rate to ward off an attack. That is why diabetics, when having an attack, drink orange juice, sugar filled sodas, candy, whatever has sugar in it-to raise the blood sugar. Bacon would do nothing.

I wasn't being rude to you, I was just stating that I believed you were wrong and stated why. If you took offense, please read again. We both just wanted to help her, but stating that proteins will raise her blood sugar is incorrect, and actually, could be quite dangerous. Maybe it's just in your wording?