Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

biggrin.gifagreed!!

and i agree that Protein doesn't spike blood sugar levels... never implied that it did... just that Protein does actually convert to glucose during metabolism.......rather it helps to maintain steady blood sugar levels, by converting to a very small amount of glucose over a longer period of time....

so, if you are eating primarily or solely protein, it will keep your blood sugar levels stable, and if you don't eat, you will crash..

-----------------

On a side note, I found this article from a diabetes support group in the UK...

http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/howto/pfandbs-2.html

The last sentence of the article says:

"Most authorities believe that the amount of protein converted to glucose is quite small, except under conditions of intense exercise or metablic starvation. Under these conditions amino acids produce the major source of glucose for blood sugar maintenance."

----

I wonder if this is what happens when we are doing very strict low-carb dieting... any ideas??? I think it makes sense that if we are relying mainly on protein, then that would have to keep our blood sugar levels regulated, otherwise we would be fainting all the time.... Does Atkins (which is basically what i'm doing, as are most on here) count as metabolic starvation??? I'm curious now!!

Opinions??

Yes, I believe Atkins does qualify as that. That is part of the reason ketones happen. When the body doesn't have sugar for a source of fuel, it eats fat. That's why people who have no idea they are diabetic can drop a ton of weight really quickly until they are diagnosed. I can almost bet if all of us checked for ketones we would show we are spilling some. My good friend did a metabolic study when she was pregnant for her endocrinologist and they were doing experiments with the amino acids. If I remember correctly, trying to find a way to reduce insulin needs based on the way the body uses amino acids. It didn't work for her. I'm not sure if the study is still going on.

Thanks for all your replies! Stary- That is exactly like what happened to me. I do not however think it was a drop in blood sugar because within the 3 hours I was there I had a chicken tender (breaded) with honey mustard, OJ in my tequilla sunrise and cranberry juice with my vodka. My friend, who had the DS, had eaten a bowl of Pasta right before going out. I'm still not sure what made this happen but today after having sex with hubby my ears started getting that sound again, or lack of sound, it freaked me out a little. I don't know what it is. I'm going to mail Dr Aceves about it on Monday.