Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nickel allergy and surgical staples

I have a nickel allergy. The only problem I have had with this is with earrings. I can't wear most hypoallergenic earrings. I met with my surgeon on Monday for my preop. He asked me if I had any allergies, and I said no..then I immediately asked him about the staples used in the surgery, and I told him about my nickel allergy with earrings. He said the staples are made of titanium and that it wouldn't be a problem. I recently read a similar question on obesity help and learned from there, as well as other sources, that titanium staples are never made solely of titanium and there is usually nickel contained in the staples.

Does anyone here have a similar situation as mine (cheap earrings)? If so have you had problems since being sleeved?

Thanks,

Deborah

Talk to your surgeon again and find out if he can just use the stainless steel staples. There are also bioabsorbable ones, but I have a strong suspicion that they aren't indicated for the VSG.

I have a nickel allergy. The only problem I have had with this is with earrings. I can't wear most hypoallergenic earrings. I met with my surgeon on Monday for my preop. He asked me if I had any allergies, and I said no..then I immediately asked him about the staples used in the surgery, and I told him about my nickel allergy with earrings. He said the staples are made of titanium and that it wouldn't be a problem. I recently read a similar question on obesity help and learned from there, as well as other sources, that titanium staples are never made solely of titanium and there is usually nickel contained in the staples.

Does anyone here have a similar situation as mine (cheap earrings)? If so have you had problems since being sleeved?

Thanks,

Deborah

I also have nickel allergies... I have one pair of earrings that don't bother me and they are about all I wear. However I do have other piercings and they are medical grade titanium. I have not had any problems with them. I wonder if the staples are the same grade or what? Think I will go research this a bit.

Khy

I also have nickel allergies... I have one pair of earrings that don't bother me and they are about all I wear. However I do have other piercings and they are medical grade titanium. I have not had any problems with them. I wonder if the staples are the same grade or what? Think I will go research this a bit.

Khy

Thanks!

I've put in another call to my dr. Now I'm just terrified that this will interfere with my surgery date or surgery period. :(

I have a major nickle allergy. I can not wear ANY jewlery on my ears, neck, wrists or fingers or I swell up and itch. I have not had any problems with my staples. You should be fine with the medical grade staples.

I have a major nickle allergy. I can not wear ANY jewlery on my ears, neck, wrists or fingers or I swell up and itch. I have not had any problems with my staples. You should be fine with the medical grade staples.

Thanks so much for your reply. Your problem with jewelry is much worse than mine. I only have trouble with certain earrings...never with necklaces, rings, watches, etc. I just hope my call to the dr doesn't mess up my July 12 date. I've waited soooo long, and I'm so close!!

I just had my surgery 3 days ago. Talked to the doctor about my nickel allergy and he said that allergies are stimulated by receptors in the mucosa and skin. Not in the stomach lining although I don't really buy that 100%. But so far, no problems. You have to have faith in somebody some time.

Thanks,

Deborah

I recently had the surgery on June 20. The only trouble I had was with the tape, I have allergies to the tape. You should have any trouble my surgery went very well the first night was rough then smooth sailing after that. I wish you luck with your surgery.

I recently had the surgery on June 20. The only trouble I had was with the tape, I have allergies to the tape. You should have any trouble my surgery went very well the first night was rough then smooth sailing after that. I wish you luck with your surgery.

Thanks to everyone for your replies! My surgeon called me this afternoon. He told me that he has performed VSG for 4 years and other forms of WLS for many more years than that. He said he has never had anyone have any problem from the staples. He also called a representative from the manufacturer, and he said that they have never had reports of problems from nickel allergies. He also said that the manufacturer would send him a copy of a study that was done regarding metal allergies, and he will send it to me. He was concerned because the representative hadn't emailed it to him, and he (the surgeon) was going out of town next week. He said he wouldn't have any access to his email while gone. I told him I was very satisfied with that because I feel as though my problems with nickel are minor. I told them that I feel ready to move forward. I was so impressed that he got back to me so quickly, because today was his day off. It was also in the way he talked to me, and the way he was willing to continue to investigate the matter if I needed him to for peace of mind. But I feel completely satisfied that it won't be a problem for me.

Thanks again for your input. :)

A lot of people are allergic or sensitive to nickel, so I didn't even consider that it would be a problem with something that is used in surgery. I have those same problems with jewelry, but have had no problems with the staples. I have 'clips' in my body where my gallbladder was removed 10 years or so ago and those have caused no issues either. I don't think you will have anything to worry about.

Thanks,

Deborah

Thanks for asking this question. I'm allergic to nickel as well. I can't wear any metal watches and earrings have to be sterling silver. This was very helpful. Thanks so much!:)

Thanks,

Deborah

Hi Deborah,

I am due to Have the VSG on Oct 20, 2011. I also am highly allergic to wherer if I am wearing earrings my glands will actually swell as if I have the mumps. So I am too very concerned about the staples. I have an appt. with my surgeon, Dr. Roslin, on Sept. 29, to talk more about this, and some other issues. Please let me know if you find out anything more on the staples. I will do the same. Thanks, Carole

I too have to wear nickle free earrings. Have since I was 10. WEIRD!!

I never even gave that a thought. OMG, I could have killed myself!! Glad I didn't have a reaction to the staples!! LOL

Kelly :rolleyes: