Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OMG!!!!! about to start liquid diet! Lord, give me strength!!!

I am looking forward to embarking on this new adventure, but it's a NERVOUS excitement. Of course, even though I've gone through alot to get to this point, there's always that little voice that says " Can't you do this on your own. Without THIS tool?" I know it is not uncommon to have these fears, but despite my awareness, the doubt still comes. I have been overweight ALL of my adult life. My kids, one of my biggest motivators, have only known me to be overweight. Right now, I can't even imagine myself skinny. I want it desperately, but I have always fallen short of reaching my ULTIMATE goal with my previous efforts. So the prospect of actually being able to achieve it is what's soooo exciting!

I hVe a question for everyone..... How long did you take off work after your surgery? This is only an issue for me because I had to have a hysterectomy in May. I was off 3wks. I'll be back to work for a total of 4 wks before my VSG. As of now, I have only taken off one week from work. Is that realistic?

It depends on your job. If it's a relatively sedentary job, then you should be fine. If you have to do a lot of lifting, then probably not.

There's several on here that went back to work a week after the surgery. There's also a number of people who went back in 2 weeks. Others take longer. Personally, I am planning 2.5 weeks.

I'm only planning on a few days. I have a desk job and work from home. But no more than one week unless I have complications.

Good Luck.

I'm a week post op and am just now starting to muster up some energy to really help myself. In fact, today was my first day to venture outside of the house for a couple of hours. I didn't do much...was just along for the ride but boy did it exhaust me. In fact, just putting a little make-up on, putting a bra on(lol), and putting my hair in a pony tail ran me out of energy before I ever got out the door. :huh: But everyone is different. I think I'm almost ready to start back at the dishes, the laundry, etc. with some help from my husband. Of course, no lifting allowed! I will just say that my energy has increased a little each day and my pain has decreased a little with each new day.

As far as your fears, that is so normal! You will be fine. I still find myself in a panic every once in awhile..thinking, what did I do...will my stomach explode...will I have a blood clot, etc. But then, I take a deep breath and realize that I am doing just fine and am improving with each new day. I think being scared is perfectly okay....but keep reminding yourself why this is so important to you. You will be fine!;)

I tried going back to work after a week and 3 days- sitting at my desk for 30 minutes and starting feeling some of the worse pains, had a wore my abdominal binder it probably wouldn't have been so bad, but I actually had to wait 5 more days before I went back to work. I still had pain on that 5th day but it was minimal.

Hi

Like you, I'm a newbie too. My surgery is planned for next Tues. I've never been 'slim', I've lost weight in the past only to regain it and always with another couple of stones. I'm hoping to be back at work a week after surgery, although I know realise I might not be well enough. Have you got a date set?

I am looking forward to embarking on this new adventure, but it's a NERVOUS excitement. Of course, even though I've gone through alot to get to this point, there's always that little voice that says " Can't you do this on your own. Without THIS tool?" I know it is not uncommon to have these fears, but despite my awareness, the doubt still comes. I have been overweight ALL of my adult life. My kids, one of my biggest motivators, have only known me to be overweight. Right now, I can't even imagine myself skinny. I want it desperately, but I have always fallen short of reaching my ULTIMATE goal with my previous efforts. So the prospect of actually being able to achieve it is what's soooo exciting!

I hVe a question for everyone..... How long did you take off work after your surgery? This is only an issue for me because I had to have a hysterectomy in May. I was off 3wks. I'll be back to work for a total of 4 wks before my VSG. As of now, I have only taken off one week from work. Is that realistic?

My surgery is on July 11, and I too am only able to take 1 week off. I am worried but will try very hard to push thru it. I am planing to take it easy and not over do it. I basically sit at a desk and can take breaks, If I get tired I will "hide" for a little "rest". This is my plan...We will see. Keep me posted I also feel your emotions. I guess this is all part of the Journey!!! Good Luck

Hi,

I had my surgery on June 22nd and I'm planning on returning after 13 days (July 5th). I'm hoping for more improvement because as of now I'm still having pain on my left said when I move and walk along with some swelling. My surgeon's nurse told me today that this is one of the most common calls she receives from people after the surgery and that it is normal. I'm hoping I'm ready on Tuesday. I didn't have the liquid diet prior to surgery just a specialized diet but now that I'm post op I've been on liquids and it's driving me crazy already. I'm just keeping my eye on the prize. A healthy me for the first time in my life! Good luck to you.

Thanks to EVERYONE that has replied. We should keep the music from Rocky in the back of our minds.....the "theme music" for this phase of our Journey........LOL!!!!! ok.... For those not into "theme musi " it's ok..... But I know that THIS TIME..... we are going to FINALLY going to be VICTORIOUS against this long rivaled Obesity opponent!!!! Good luck Everyone!!!!!

@ findingreneeagain: I have to do a liquid diet for 2 weeks pre-op. Today was my first day & OMG...... I think my kids think I've been playing a new instrument call the "Flatulant". LOL!!!! ( ok.... That was probably TMI, sorry ;-)) hope that doesn't aggregate your pain. I hate to hear that ur still hurting. I would take advantage of the long weekend....do ABSOLUTLY NADA!!! Glad to see ur in good spirits. Your right. We must keep our eyes on the prize.

@Thinkinthin LOL!!! u crack me up!!! But, "I feel ya!"..... Uve gotta do what uve gotta do!!!! All for the ultimate goal of "Healthy" even if uhave to "hide" for a few minutes. Please don't get caught!!! LOL!!!

@ Cathie: my surgery is scheduled for July 14th. Are u doing a liquid diet right now? Good Luck on Tuesday!!!

@ Candaceshenea: Awwhhh I hate u had this setback. Do u think that it was made worse by extra moving (like reaching above, sliding in ur chair, etc) on ur 1st day bk @ work? Sometimes the smallest of things that we normally do without a 2nd thought can set us bk. Thankfully u were able to give urself the extra time. Hang n there!!

@ Penpen: Hey...... Have u been in my head? U sound like me with the "exploding stomach & blood clot" fears (among others) LOL!!!. But, ur right, I just keep reminding myself if my ultimate goal. I havent told but a few close friends & family abt me having this surgrey, so thats another added fear abt a longer recovery. I know it should be my LAST concern. So I keep reminding my self of that.

@ Nancy: My job is pretty sedentary. But I will have to control how much I move around. THATS my plan. I've had a little practice with the recovery after my Hyst. I was "reminded" when I over did it. Hopefully I've learned how to gauge it.

I'm not sure lol, I just remember trying to sit up straight hurt alot, so did slouching and once I actually would stand up and walk around I would be fine. I think the abdominal binder would have been perfect but I didnt wear it to work. That first day back was hell and when I got home I took pain meds, sat in my favorite chair and slept for 3 hours lol. I don't regret any of it though, best decision ever :)

No maam!

You are going to be sooo tired. I did not have gas pain and my incision pain was minimal. I was lucky to have the single incision procedure with 1 addintional tiny tiny cut. I go back to work on the 4th July and I am worried that I am going to be extremely tired. I am an RN. Good Luck...Im still waiting to say this was the best decision ever...just not quite there yet

No maam!

You are going to be sooo tired. I did not have gas pain and my incision pain was minimal. I was lucky to have the single incision procedure with 1 addintional tiny tiny cut. I go back to work on the 4th July and I am worried that I am going to be extremely tired. I am an RN. Good Luck...Im still waiting to say this was the best decision ever...just not quite there yet

So how long have you been off work? You've gotta be in the hospital if your working the holiday. Do u plan to work a 12 on your first day back?

So how long have you been off work? You've gotta be in the hospital if your working the holiday. Do u plan to work a 12 on your first day back?

Yes I am working 12hrs...thats the only option for me. Its usually slow on holidays so I am keeping my fingers crossed! I took off 2 wks. I could have used 1 more.

I understand exactly what you're going through!!! I'm in the middle of my preop diet and my surgery is July 7th - Just a few days away. I am really unsure how I will feel after the surgery. I took the following week off work but thats it. I'm hoping to be back to work after a week and a couple of weekends! Wishing you the best of luck.

I am 5 days post op and I have to say I feel a little better , but certainly not great. But I definetly think you need more then a week for the simple reason that I still have a drain in till Wed. That means im wearing this for longer then a week. And maybe your different but even if I just had a desk job I cant even wear more then sweats and a loose top because there is a drain hanging out of my stomache. Sorry to be so blunt I just feel like if you rush your recovery it may take longer , But if you have any other questions just ask, GoooD Luck on your journey!!!

Thanks to EVERYONE that has replied. We should keep the music from Rocky in the back of our minds.....the "theme music" for this phase of our Journey........LOL!!!!! ok.... For those not into "theme musi " it's ok..... But I know that THIS TIME..... we are going to FINALLY going to be VICTORIOUS against this long rivaled Obesity opponent!!!! Good luck Everyone!!!!!

@ findingreneeagain: I have to do a liquid diet for 2 weeks pre-op. Today was my first day & OMG...... I think my kids think I've been playing a new instrument call the "Flatulant". LOL!!!! ( ok.... That was probably TMI, sorry ;-)) hope that doesn't aggregate your pain. I hate to hear that ur still hurting. I would take advantage of the long weekend....do ABSOLUTLY NADA!!! Glad to see ur in good spirits. Your right. We must keep our eyes on the prize.

@Thinkinthin LOL!!! u crack me up!!! But, "I feel ya!"..... Uve gotta do what uve gotta do!!!! All for the ultimate goal of "Healthy" even if uhave to "hide" for a few minutes. Please don't get caught!!! LOL!!!

@ Cathie: my surgery is scheduled for July 14th. Are u doing a liquid diet right now? Good Luck on Tuesday!!!

@ Candaceshenea: Awwhhh I hate u had this setback. Do u think that it was made worse by extra moving (like reaching above, sliding in ur chair, etc) on ur 1st day bk @ work? Sometimes the smallest of things that we normally do without a 2nd thought can set us bk. Thankfully u were able to give urself the extra time. Hang n there!!

@ Penpen: Hey...... Have u been in my head? U sound like me with the "exploding stomach & blood clot" fears (among others) LOL!!!. But, ur right, I just keep reminding myself if my ultimate goal. I havent told but a few close friends & family abt me having this surgrey, so thats another added fear abt a longer recovery. I know it should be my LAST concern. So I keep reminding my self of that.

@ Nancy: My job is pretty sedentary. But I will have to control how much I move around. THATS my plan. I've had a little practice with the recovery after my Hyst. I was "reminded" when I over did it. Hopefully I've learned how to gauge it.