Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I understand totally, I have "smelled" to myself before too. My hubby was looking at me like I had lost it but it was real to me. Plus, I too could smell it in my clothes. UGH!!!! I went to the dermatologist and she prescribed drysol. Worked wonders!

Another aspect besides the chemistry of your body might be that your sense of smell is more keen. When I was first sleeved, I noticed a HUGE jump forward in my sense of smell, which I had always considered fairly sensitive prior to surgery--after, it was really sharp, and I noticed odors were much stronger and much more detailed. Since a lot of times, it was food odors that I could smell (just in general), I jokingly asked my husband if he thought my body was saying, "Hey! You're losing weight--smell that, doesn't it smell good! Eat something!" You're in the losing stage, so perhaps this is happening to you because of that. I know that one's body chemistry DOES change the odor of one's perspiration, but it might not be the only factor in your noticing it more now.

I'm experiencing the smelly breath post op and my hubby is too cuz he's doing low carb. The clinical strength deoderant by dove is killing any bo.

I'm trying listening wash, strips n a tongue scraper. Will let you know if it helps!! Congrats on the wt loss!!! You are amazing!!! Joan

Yesterday my son told me that I smelled different. He said that or was a weird smell but it wasn't BO. Of course I'm afraid to be around people. I cannot smell it but he Dias that it comes and goes. I am 17 days post op and have lost about 27 pounds. Any ideas?

I noticed as I lost weight I had wild shifting hormones! When I have a hormonal upset going on my deoderant quits working. I have to start washing with antibacterial soap, then before my I apply deoderant I apply rubbing alcohol to my underarms and let it dry. Then I apply clinical strenght deoderant. It seems these boughts lasted about 2 weeks and settled down. Now that most of my weight is gone my hormones are settling into a regular routine.

I am 17 days post op and have lost around 27 pounds. My son said that I occassionally emit a strange odor. I cannot smell it but he can. He said that it doesn't smell like bo-it's just different. I am so self conscious now because I don't want people to think i stink I bathe and shower constantly. The info you have provided makes me feel better. How long does this go on?

To use an analogy most people understand think of a car that suddenly starts burning oil, it produces clouds of smoke, has reduced performance and may smell a little. In ketosis the body starts burning fat, which does not burn as cleanly as food energy, so you may be getting the film in the mouth, bad breath and perhaps a little stink because of it. It is normal and lessens with time.

Rootman - This is the perfect explanation. Thanks!!!!!

I cannot take credit for any of the following (I copied and pasted from a few sites...):

Ketosis merely means that our bodies are using fat for energy. Ketones (also called ketone bodies) are molecules generated during fat metabolism, whether from the fat in the guacamole you just ate or fat you were carrying around your middle. When our bodies are breaking down fat for energy, most of the it gets converted more or less directly to ATP. (Remember high school biology? This is the "energy molecule.") But ketones are also produced as part of the process.

When people eat less carbohydrate, their bodies turn to fat for energy, so it makes sense that more ketones are generated. Some of those ketones (acetoacetate and ß-hydroxybutyrate) are used for energy; the heart muscle and kidneys, for example, prefer ketones to glucose. Most cells, including the brain cells, are able to use ketones for at least part of their energy. But there is one type of ketone molecule, called acetone, that cannot be used and is excreted as waste, mostly in the urine and breath. The description of the smell varies, but it is often described as "fruity" or like the smell of apples which are "past their prime" (or even downright rotten).

The good news is that keto-breath usually doesn't last forever. Most people find it dies down after a few weeks, or at the most a few months. The reason is unclear, but it seems our bodies adapt in some way. Children on a ketogenic diet for epilepsy have been shown to have less acetone in their breath as time goes on, for example. In the meantime, there are things you can do to minimize the impact of "keto-breath":

1. Drink more water: try 8 glasses per day to see if this helps, and then you can experiment from that point.
  2. Natural breath fresheners to try include mint, parsley or other greens, cloves, cinnamon, and fennel seeds.
  3. Some people swear by breath capsules, which are usually made from parsley oil (e.g. Mint Assure) for keto-breath. Others find they do not help.
  4. sugar-free mints or gum can be tried, but watch the carbs in them.

Ammonia Breath from Protein

When the body metabolizes Protein, ammonia is produced. When people eat high-protein meals, there tends to be increased ammonia in their breath and/or urine. In large amounts, this can smell pretty bad.

It's important to remember that we don't need lots and lots of protein in our diets. Our bodies use protein to maintain and build muscles, to make enzymes, and for other structural and chemical needs. The body will convert excess protein to energy, which is where you will get the extra ammonia (this also happens during starvation or long exercise when the body begins to rely on breaking down muscles for energy if it runs out of sources of fats and/or carbohydrates).

Find Out How Much Protein Your Body Needs

Sometimes people load up on protein because they are afraid to eat more fat. This is one of the reasons why it is rarely a good idea to try to eat a diet that is low in both carbohydrates and fats. The solution to "ammonia breath" for people on a low-carb diet is often to increase fats in the diet, and cut back some on protein foods.

Above all, don't let problems with your breath derail you from staying with a diet that is improving your health. Instead, try to figure out the cause of the bad-smelling breath and tackle it.

Body Odor

There are a number of chemical changes that take place in your body when you're on a low-carb diet, some of which can cause a foul body odor. Ketone bodies have an odd odor to them; they're not unlike fingernail polish remover in their smell. Once you enter ketosis, it's common for others to smell ketone bodies on your breath and in your sweat, which can give you a foul, sickly-sweet odor.

I'm 4 weeks out and after about the 1st week my husband told me I smelled different. I figured it was my breath so I try to use mouthwash every day and keep some mints around. All I usually taste are these darn Vitamins that make me want to barf! Iron burps are awful!