Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am pre-op going through my 3 month supervised diet for insurance. Hopefully in October i will be "sleeved". The posts have been wonderful getting me ready for my surgery and I want to thank you for your information and honesty. I have been trying to eat as I will after the surgery as far as high Protein, low carbs, exercise, portions and I have currently lost 42 lbs. I believe I am in keotsis as I have the bad breath and taste in my mouth. My question is can keotsis also cause a change in your underarm odor??? I have notice in the last few days a stronger than usual odor that the strongest of deodorants are not masking. I wash, powder, apply and I can still detect the odor. I was curious if any one else experiences this before or after their surgery. Thanks in advance for you help and honesty. YOU ARE THE GREATEST NEIGHBORS IN THE WORLD!!!!

When you're in ketosis, the ketones are released in your saliva, urine and yes your sweat. Other symptoms of ketosis are:

• Headache
  • Feeling thirsty all the time
  • Bad breath
  • Metallic taste in the mouth
  • Weakness
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea or stomach ache
  • sleep problems
  • Cold hands and feet

Maddie

Thank you so much. I knew about the bad breath and mouth taste but not the other signs. This is very helpful, I thought being dizziness :dizzy: was from lower calorie intake. Thank you for being a great "Sleeved Neighbor". 'Ppreciate Ya!!!!!! :cheer2:

Hmm. Most people in ketosis, especially long term ketosis, find they have reduced body odor. Ketones are mostly lost through saliva & urine, and if they smell foul it's usually a smell of acetone (acetone is a long & complicated byproduct of ketosis).

Are you smelling like regular sweaty smell, ammonia, etc.?

Sweat itself doesn't smell, it's basically just salt Water. It's bacteria on your body breaking down Proteins & lipids from your apocrine glands (umm... glands in places where you have hair) that produces the smell. All deodorant does is mask that smell -- like in the old days when the French would wear ridiculous amounts of parfum to mask their body odor from not showering.

Instead of deodorant, try an antiperspirant/deodorant blend. The clinical strength ones kinda stop up your pores and are supposed to work (I have never tried them so I can't say for sure). Drinking extra Water if you can will help. If you don't shower every day, at least wash your sweaty-hairy places with antibacterial soap. Do what you can to keep your underarms aired out -- from wearing cotton tops/tank tops, so actually flapping your arms a bit (lets air get in there and help dry things out).

Isn't there a small amount of urea in sweat? My understanding was that there is and that's why for example after a heavy workout if it gets on your clothes, it quickly breaks down into ammonia, which you can smell. I'd appreciate any additional info you have on this. I try to learn as much as I can about this stuff.

Thanks

Wheatsin

I do bath daily because I can't stand the thought of others being able to smell me. I use benadine sometimes as I get dermatis under my arms. I dry the area well and powder daily. I will try the different deodorant to see if that will work, I had been using Alamay. Thank you so much for your help.

Any chance you have an generalized anxiety or any OCD tendencies? Over concern about body odor is a common symptom. Often anxiety will increase with dieting because we are so used to eating to ease anxiety.

I don't mean to offend, just asking. BTW I'm very inpressed with your pre-op weight loss! That's better than I could do!

Well, I for one say YES it CAN cause a change in body odor, either LESS or MORE. Each person is different and the effects of ketosis can be different.

To use an analogy most people understand think of a car that suddenly starts burning oil, it produces clouds of smoke, has reduced performance and may smell a little. In ketosis the body starts burning fat, which does not burn as cleanly as food energy, so you may be getting the film in the mouth, bad breath and perhaps a little stink because of it. It is normal and lessens with time. A tongue scraper, available at any drug or department store really helps get the coating and taste out of the mouth, as does a rinse after scraping and brushing helps with the taste.

We wish you well, you're knocking the pounds down like crazy pre-op, it will just be that much easier post-op for you.

Generally very small amounts, but varies by person (which is why I asked OP what she was smelling: "sweat," ammonia, etc.)

Lots of things are in sweat in trace amounts. The levels of urea in sweat seem to be related to whether or not you're sweating during exercise or heat (thermal sweating) and age. (Yes, I'm a big enough geek to have actually read research on this junk, and Iknow studies have found the highest levels after rigorous exercise followed by exposure to a hot environment). I'm going to guesstimate 99% - 99.9% of sweat is Water. The reaminder would then be everything else (salt, sugar, Proteins, trace minerals, urea, etc.) I don't know what percentage of that 1% - .1% would be urea specifically... and it would definitely depend on the individual, when the sweat was sampled, health conditions, etc.

It's hard to figure an exact breakdown even in the studies because they are measured in different ways that don't easily translate from one another (e.g. weight vs. volume) and I'm not yet interested enough to start converting molar weights. :)

HTH

I did a slightly more strict induction phase of the Atkins diet for about a year and a half. My husband did it with me for 4 months. My breath smelled like moldy ass, and his smelled like a can of pears. Go figure.

BTW, I am not responsible for the poor quality of my typing. I'm trying to adjust to one of these split ergonomic keyboard things, and kinda hating it.

I am sooooooo OCD about smelling foul or bad. I normally don't smell me but lately it seems to be a strong musky smell. My husband thinks I am nuts but I am noticing the smell in my cotton shirts as well. Maybe it is my nose and not my armpits or maybe my OCD brain. I thank you all for the information, each response has been very helpful. Thanks too for the "atta-a-gals" for my weight lost. The journey to this new way of eating has been an adventrue to say the least, so much to learn or should I say re-learn. Thank you again Neighbors!!!! YOU ROCK!!!

I know exactly what you are talking about. I experienced this (both hubby and I) when we recently started following the Dukan Diet, which is high protein/low fat. I referred to it as an "end of the day B/O" type odor that would occur by 8am! It was overpowering to me and i hated it. It lasted a few weeks then stopped. It was musty/sweaty, like a man.

Congratulations on the weight loss, by the way! Good job.

.... It was musty/sweaty, like a man. ...

Hey I resemble that remark! :lol:

You may try wiping your underarms with rubbing alcohol every 2-3 days to kill any bacteria. Also More deodorant is not the answer. The ingredients in antipersperant/deodorant can actually cause your body to increase production of oils and sweat.

Big Sis, I am sorry I don't have more info for you about the BO issue, but I have to join in and say how proud of you I am for your weight loss. If you can take this much off BEFORE surgery, you are going to leave me in the dust afterwards!

Go you!