Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nausea – zero.

Pain – very minimal and only when I go from sit/lay to stand.

Pre-op consisted of changing into the beautiful evening gown with ties in the back, lab work, EKG, chest Xray (the Xray technician said, ‘you don’t look like you even need WLS.’ I know she just trying to be nice but it’s kind of irritating when you’re actually smack dab in the middle of getting it done. I replied, ‘the BMI doesn’t lie! I’m morbidly obese!’ She didn’t say anything else). Still in pre-op, The nurse ran through all of the health history questions. I was visited by the surgeon as well as his PA, then the anesthesiologist. The nurse started my IV and gave me decadron and something to help me relax. About 2 hours after my arrival I was being wheeled in to the O.R. I was still pretty alert at this time, and eveyone in the room introduced themselves if I hadn’t met them already. They had me slide to the operating table. The anesthsiologist placed the mask over my face and that was my last memory of pre-sleeve life.

I barely remember waking up in post-op. I’ve had several surgeries and always remember this to be my least favorite part. It’s frustrating to be so out of control of your own consciousness. I barely remember the transport to my room. For the next several hours I was very groggy. I was trying to text/call people who I promised I would, but as soon as I’d grab my phone and start typing, I’d be out. Can’t tell you how many attempts it took to get the first text out!

About 12 hours after completion of my surgery, I woke up and felt truly alert for the first time. I could really look at the room, talk to my nurse, and the reality of the situation really hit. It was a great feeling knowing the surgery was over!

I walked laps around the unit so many times beginning the night of surgery and throughout the next day. It felt good to get out of the room.

The swallowing study Tuesday morning was a breeze. The radioloist sat right in front of the machine and watched the flow of barium after I drank it. There was a screen right next to me so I could watch too. It only took about 5 minutes. He said I was leak free and would let the surgeon know. When I got back to my room the nurse brought me some Water. Oh, sweet, sweet water how I had missed thee! I could only have 1 oz per hour for four hours, before progressing to 4 oz per hour.

Painwise, it is very minimal. I’m 2 days out now and haven’t needed anything for pain since the discontinutation of the morphine pump right after the swallow study Tuesday morning. I didn't fill my prescription for the pain med on the way home, will wait and see how I feel after my On-Q is empty.

I have to mention my happiness with the On-Q system. I asked my surgeon for it in pre-op (he normally only uses it for bypass patients) and he happily agreed to insert one for me. I think it’s played a big part in not needing pain meds. It consists of tiny tubes coiled under my abdominal skin that slowly over several days, release a numbing medicaion similar to novacaine. There was still quite a bit of the medication left in the delivery system, so when the PA released me today I asked if I could wear it home and remove it myself. The floor nurses had never heard of that, since they are normally only used on bypass patients who stay long enough that their supply depletes and it's removed before they are discharged. She agreed, and the nurse instructed me on removal – super easy, just taking off the tape and sliding the tiny 10” tubes out. I think it will be empty by tomorrow.

No nausea whatsoever. The only meds I remember for nausea were the decadron pre-op, and a patch behind my ear which is still there because I keep forgetting to remove it. I'm guessing I got something in the O.R. too.

I’ve been home now for 6 hours. Drinking is a slight issue, I just keep forgetting. I may have to download a stopwatch app to my phone to give myself 15 minute reminders. I remember Meggie saying she had a timer reminder that helped her remember. The only other issue is not being able to lift my poor geriatric dog onto his favorite sleeping spot, or up & down the two steps outside. No lifting over 30# for six weeks, and he is 55#. I hope he understands :)

I am so happy to be sleeved and looking forward to progessing and learning exactly how it will work for me. And of couse looking forward to losing weight and becoming my healthiest self.

Glad it is going well for you. I had On-Q as well, but definitely needed (and still need) my pain meds (I am one week out). You have had a very smooth experience!

So glad everything went well for you! I am 5 days out and only needed the pain meds once when I got home...no pain to speak of other than soreness when getting up as you described.

Congrats! You should have a great recovery. I was in the same spot walking the halls the evening of my surgery, it really helped dissipate the gas. Walk as often as you can as soon as you can. I was doing 2+ miles by my 5th day post op. Not power walking by any means, just strolling part of my normal daily route. I think that more than anything helped my recovery. Expect to be tired, especially in the afternoon for the first couple of weeks. Welcome to the losing team!

Congrats. Thank you for sharing. Now I would like to know more about the Q system.

Congrats.... Seems things worked out well for you, i also had my sleeve two days back and and as of now things are looking ok ( Keping my fingers crossed).

Beth

thank you so much for the details of your surgery. I am still in the qualifing process but you answered alot of my questions. Thanks bunches for your post and keep the information coming.

Here is a link to the On-Q site for anyone who wants to know more:

http://www.iflo.com/...onq_classic.php

I think it mostly comes down to if your surgeon uses it or not. I only knew about it because in my pre-op class one week before surgery the coordinator mentioned my surgeon uses it for his bypass patients. I thought it sounded terrific so asked for it the day of surgery. Oddly though, his partner who also performs tons of WLS doesn't use it.

Still feeling great, three days out now and essentially no pain, even when transitioning from sit to stand, I even slept on my tummy last night, gently rolled into position as to not disturb the steri-strips. I thought it would be weeks before I would be able to tummy sleep because that's how it was when I had other abdominal surgeries.

Thanks all for the support!

I had the On Q (with out asking for it), but I must move a lot in my sleep since the tubes came out and the medicine was leaking all over my hospital gown. It was removed and I could tell no difference at all. I had no pain before and none after the On Q was removed.

Funny you mention that because one of catheters slid most of the way out last evening and got my shirt all wet too. I just taped it down and went to bed so the other catheter could continue to do its job. This morning the bulb was finally empty so I removed the whole thing. Not attached to anything now, what a great feeling.

I had the On Q (with out asking for it), but I must move a lot in my sleep since the tubes came out and the medicine was leaking all over my hospital gown. It was removed and I could tell no difference at all. I had no pain before and none after the On Q was removed.

Glad it is going well for you. I had On-Q as well, but definitely needed (and still need) my pain meds (I am one week out). You have had a very smooth experience!

YES .LUCKY YOU.........SECOND SURGERY EVER....IN 99 HAD THE OLD FASHION HESTORICTOMY AND THEY CUT MY BLADDER....SO HAD TO WEAR BAG FOR 15 DAYS.....STILL I SAY THIS ONE WAS WORSE.....I AM 16 DAYS OUT...DOING OK NOW.AND GLAD IT IS DONE.....JUST VERY SCARED IT IS NOT GOING TO WORK FOR ME..

YAY Beth!!! I'm glad you had an easy operation and having an even easier recovery!!! Mine was about the same as yours on 5/13 -- thank God!! Keep us posted!! :D

Congratulations, I am so happy for you that things turned out so well...how great!! I also want to thank you for posting, ecspecially for those of us who have yet had surgery. I truly love to hear these type of results :D

I am certainly going to look into the On-Q and the patch behind the ear.

I will be sleeved July 27th and I will be praying for results just like yours!

Best wishes on your speedy recovery and successful new beginnings!