Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low Vitamin D - will this potentially postpone surgery?

So, I finally got the results of my bloodwork from May 27. My A1C and blood sugar were predictably high - although the A1C was the highest it has ever been it is still under 9. My cholesterol was within "normal" range for total, but HDL vs LDL is out of whack. Triglycerides are within normal range. Vitamins are all good except D is showing as low.

I also received a letter from my surgeon's office - from the PA actually. She stated they received the results of the blood tests and gave me the A1C, sugar and cholesterol levels. Nothing about if those would delay my surgery - but I'm guessing not as everything else is proceeding apparently. She said nothing about the Vitamin D being low though.

I have called the surgeon's office and had to leave a message. I am wondering if having low Vitamin D would delay the surgery. Or if the other results would delay the surgery - although if that was the case, I would think that something would have been said in the letter that I received. Or they would have called to let me know - but maybe not.

I'm probably just over-reacting, but anyone have any insights on this?

During my research and pre-op process, I learned that it is very common for obese individuals to be low in Vitamin D. Did they put you on any supplements for this? If not, call and ask about it. Normally, you are put on a high-dose regimen for 8 weeks and re-tested.

There is a theory that low Vitamin D can cause cravings and "the munchies". Not sure if it's true or not, but never hurts to everything working for you instead of against you.

And, I agree, low vitamin D should not be cause to delay surgery.

I agree with anonynurse, it really shouldn't affect the surgery HOWEVER, it may effect you post op. . . after i had my surgery my Vitamin D levels diminished really badly, I was told if i didn't get them back to normal the doctor might have to consider hospitalization. . . i was on prescription vitamin D for 13 weeks then a blood test, low, then another 13 weeks, blood test and again low but not as badly, then another 13 weeks, and finally it was within normal limits. . . now i take Vitamin D3 everyday and do everything humanly possibly to get the D by going outside ALOT and enjoying our San Antonio 100+ F days. . at the last blood test it was dropping again, but we kicked it up with a prescription for the next 13 weeks and the vitamin D3. . . so just be careful, maybe start taking a D3 supplement as per your doctors orders of course. . . .

I had low Vitamin D when I was tested but that was early enough on in the process that they could put me on a supplement to get it to come up. I don't think it will affect your surgery, though.

We are low because we are always hiding indoors! lol

Low vit d they believe can affect mood, cause infamation in the body and affect heart health. We produce enough Vitamin d in one 20 minute exposure to the sun for the entire week. The quesion has become, since so many Americans are deficiant in it, is are we storing it? Vit K plays a big role in that. Once built up on on the prescription vit d it is a good idea to take a suppliment daily with vit k in it. ( some bariatric vits do this already.)

During my research and pre-op process, I learned that it is very common for obese individuals to be low in Vitamin D. Did they put you on any supplements for this? If not, call and ask about it. Normally, you are put on a high-dose regimen for 8 weeks and re-tested.

There is a theory that low Vitamin D can cause cravings and "the munchies". Not sure if it's true or not, but never hurts to everything working for you instead of against you.

And, I agree, low vitamin D should not be cause to delay surgery.

Not yet. The PCP did the blood tests and doesn't really do anything about them until I return 3 months later. I plan to ask the surgeon when I see him Friday (he's doing my EGD).

i had low Vitamin d and i take a Gummy vitamin daily and it is no big deal it should not harm or postpone your surgery B)

My Vitamin D was also a little on the low side. I am a shift worker and that is one of the side effects. I take 5000iu a day now. Vitamin D is also key in sugar being absorbed by the cells from the blood. More effective than Metformin. I wish my Dr had put me on that prior to all of the other diabetes drugs. Water under the bridge now. No meds at all and A1C is now 5.6

So, I finally got the results of my bloodwork from May 27. My A1C and blood sugar were predictably high - although the A1C was the highest it has ever been it is still under 9. My cholesterol was within "normal" range for total, but HDL vs LDL is out of whack. Triglycerides are within normal range. Vitamins are all good except D is showing as low.

I also received a letter from my surgeon's office - from the PA actually. She stated they received the results of the blood tests and gave me the A1C, sugar and cholesterol levels. Nothing about if those would delay my surgery - but I'm guessing not as everything else is proceeding apparently. She said nothing about the Vitamin D being low though.

I have called the surgeon's office and had to leave a message. I am wondering if having low Vitamin D would delay the surgery. Or if the other results would delay the surgery - although if that was the case, I would think that something would have been said in the letter that I received. Or they would have called to let me know - but maybe not.

I'm probably just over-reacting, but anyone have any insights on this?

I'm guessing no. Every year at my annual physical I'm diagnosed w/ low Vitamin D. Many, many folks have low vitamin D. I assume I'm still low and no one has said so much as boo about it. My surgery is at the same hospital where I've been going for years so all my records are there for all to see -- no mention of it. Good lluck with your surgery!

Low vit D is fairly common. Mine was very low as well, but they did the test in March. I live in upstate NY, so I'm sure my vit D is low at the end of every winter. We get so little sun in winter. It's usually easily treated with Vitamins, no biggie for most.