Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protien drink troubles

I haven't even had the surgery yet and I'm already concerned with the 2 weeks before and however long after I have to be on the protien drinks. I tried the Adkins, Cafe Au Late, and I nearly hurled at the smell. It didn't taste much better. Does anyone know of any that actually taste good?

I have the nutrition class on Wednesday and will find out exactly what they mean by liquid protien diet, but I'm wondering if anyone had to do it. Was it three of these drinks a day and only that? Were you able to have any food at all? Water? How were you able to manage it? I'm thinking that if I can't stick to Weight Watcher's for two weeks, how do I do this. It's different when you have a stomach the size of a finger.

I also noticed the price of the Adkins was about $8-$9 for four. Is that anyone else's experience?

Laura

I have treid Carb Solutions, Pure Protein, Designer whey Protein and Atkins Advantage. By far the best of all of those to me was the Atkins Advantage chocolate. It tastes jut like thick chocolate milk and yes 4 of them run anywhere between 8-10 dollars depending where you buy the Wal Mart is the cheapest so far.

Michelle

265/245/160ish

4/6/04

Dr Ortiz

I had the same concern as you do.. I thought there was no way I could just live on Clear liquids for 2 weeks but I did and it was very easy. You will be amazed at how not hungry you are after the surgery and maybe for the fisrt week post op. The 2nd week got a little tougher for me but as I saw the pounds drop off it just kept me motivated to keep doing the Clear Liquids. I did not want to jeopardize my band by not following my doctors instructions. I was allowed skim milk on day 8 post op and Protein drinks on day 10 post op but basically on liquids for 3 weeks. I drank gatorade, orange juice no puld, lots of Water chicken broth, vegetable broth, and I ate lots of Jello and popsicles. Once I got to day 10 post op I was able to have the Protein Drinks and those helped very much.Trust me you will do just fine..you will be amazed at how well you can do the liquid stage.

Michelle

4/6/04

265/245/160ish

Dr Ortiz

Thanks for the reponses! My concern is the two weeks of liquid protien BEFORE the surgery. I'm sure I'll do fine after. I just am going to have a hard time drinking only with my stomach still the same as it is now. :cool:

Guest texas_redneck

try ENSURE it tatses pretty good;-)

What is your BMI? My doctor only reccomends a proteind diet pre op if your BMI is over 50,

He says it helps shrink the size of the liver to make is easier for him to manuver in there. I was fortunate to not have to do a pre op Protein diet. Every doctor is different though.

If you want this bad enough like I did, you will do it just fine! We are all hear to offer support during the difficult times.

Michelle

I have to say out of all the protien drinks I have tried powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chocolate is the best. It is a very light chocolate taste, not at all thick or nasty tasting.

Check out www.unjury.com

You can also order samples.< /p>

Pray, alot! that is what helped me I figured if Jesus could fast for 40 day I could do liquid for 5. Boost is really good usually you can find it by the slimfast. Good luck, Ginny

Laura,

I'm with Ginny I like Boost chocolate. I get the high Protein one. I keep it in the frig and I put a glass and the Boost in the freezer for a few minutes and drink it with ice crystals floating in it yum, yum. It is best very cold.

I have tried Protein powders and I really like the convenience of having it already mixed up especially in the morning.

Carolyn

I had tons of pre-op diet questions and felt just like you: if I can't stay on a diet 2 weeks, how am I going to do a pre-op diet? So I tried to maintain my low-cal preop diet but failed badly last night & went to bed stuffed. I called the doctor and told them how I ate, but she was really nice and said, "don't worry, honey, the band will help you."

I've heard if the liver is too large, the surgery is more difficult for the doctor so they may have to make larger incisions or a more complicated procedure. My surgery is tomorrow at 4pm so I'm on Clear liquids till then, which will be hard enough, let alone several weeks on liquids. But the thing that's so weird is I fasted all the time in my teens. How come I could do it then but not now?

To keep life interesting, I drink several glasses of Water in the morning. Then I start diluting Gatorade or juice with 1/2 Water. This way I'm tasting something all day long.

Meanwhile, I just removed my acrylic nails after 20 years so I can learn to play guitar. I tried learning years ago but gave up, so now I have no choice because I'll need to keep my hands away from my mouth. My obsession is so, so bad, that even when I'm not eating my hands are constantly near my mouth. I either play with my hair, bite nails, pick teeth, scratch nose... anything to get those fingers towards my mouth. Maybe they should just sew my arms down to my sides to keep my hands away from my lips.

lol... How about a football helmut with a locking grid plate, and a locking chin strap that you didn't have a key for? You could paint cool things all over the helmut, like tattoos only painless. It would be like a chastity belt for your mouth...

Or, you could strap 50 pound weights to each wrist - if you could lift your hand to your mouth you deserve to be able to eat whatever was in it... :cool:

Oh, I am just cracking myself up now... lol :cool:

I can't remember the Protein grams in it but, Glucerna tastes great!!! in my opinion, plus it is made for diabetics so, it has less sugar and carbs then most

You people are hysterical!!

I went to the class and the nutritionist said to try, but not to worry if I couldn't do it............that sounds like a little too much freedom for me!

I'll try some of your suggestions for protien drinks. Thanks!

I didn't have to drink anything pre-op, but I'm on my 2nd day post-op and I like the GNC , Isopure. It's good. Yesterday, I tried to ABB pure pro and it was nasty. Next week I go to Protein Shakes. If anyone would like some names, I've got several good brands.