Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared of "going under"

Hello, I have 11 more lbs. to loose before I can set my date to get sleeved. I have always been fearful of going under and not waking up. I have only been under once to have my wisdom teeth taken out and have never had any other surgery. Have any of the members had the same fear and if so how did you conquer it. I would appreciate your experiences.

Thank You,

Joe

Hello, I have 11 more lbs. to loose before I can set my date to get sleeved. I have always been fearful of going under and not waking up. I have only been under once to have my wisdom teeth taken out and have never had any other surgery. Have any of the members had the same fear and if so how did you conquer it. I would appreciate your experiences.

Thank You,

Joe

That was my main fear. I've been under quiet a few times but the first time was when I was a kid and it was much harsher than it is now. So I still carry that fear.

Be honest with your doctor. They can give you something to take to help you with the fear. For me, I did not get to the hospital too early. I didn't want to have to sit and wait and stew on things.

It's hard to describe how I dealt with the issue as a whole. Basically I decided I had to do it and sort of went numb. I just stopped thinking about it a lot. It was going to happen. My screen name is the idea. I was going to do 1 thing I really didn't want to do to achieve many things I wanted. So I kept a calendar and as odd as this may seem, I actually marked out days where I would stop some things and start other things. And there's a date marked where I stopped thinking about the negative possibilities and a date a week later where I started meditating about how well I was going to do. I didn't spend a lot of time at it, but I would force the negative thoughts away and as I fell asleep at night imagine me 1 year in the future and how much better I would feel.

As a surgery, this one was so easy for me it actually helped to ease a lot of my fear. Don't get me wrong, I had a day of vomiting, pain getting in and out of bed and fear about the blood clot issue. But overall it was not that rough. And I know now that I can get through this sort of thing. And with getting older, that's a good think to know.

Good luck to you. As people told me before, you really will do fine. And great job on getting ready to get your date!

Thank You,

Joe

Hi Joe!!

I had my surgery 10 days ago.. and these ppl here will tell you how many times I posted saying i was scared!! Also, I had my date set but my blood sugar was running high.. and they told me that i had to get it down or they would postpone my surgery. I wasnt having that... so I worked hard and got it down in 5 days :)

Anyways... I was a nervous wreck the day of surgery. To make matters worse mine was not until 3pm so I had all morning to freak out, nice right?! Once I got to the hospital it got worse.. I was like in a sweat and anxious beyond belief. Once you change into the gown, and the nurse sets up your IV and all that.. the anesthesiologist will come in and talk to you briefly.. at that point they will wheel you to the operating room.. I remember having to scoot over to the operating table from the bed.. and the next thing I know... i woke up in recovery. SERIOUSLY. lol Once you start changing and getting your IV set up.. and all that.. you dont have time to be nervous at least I didnt. It was very quick after that, that they took me in the operating room.

I had a lot of nausea in recovery. They gave me dose after dose of meds for it while i was out of it, and could only remember moaning and the nurse saying "Whats your pain level, whats your pain level" LOL ... its kind of amusing now that i think back about it. I was really gone, done, and just in la la land. Once i was not as nauseated.. they sent me up to my room where I had a morphine drip for 3 days and could push it whenever I want it. Lemme tell you, this is the best thing that they ever thought of :)

Anyways Joe.. you will be fine!! I worry about EVERYTHING.. and really the hardest part of all this has been sticking to this damn full liquid diet now that I am 10 days out. This is the part where you will need to hang on tight and just get thru each day. - The surgery was the easy part.

Feel free to message me if you need anything! Im rooting for ya, you can do it!!!!! :)

My biggest piece of advice is when you meet with the surgeon or anesthesia team, I would ask for a pre-op cocktail to ease your nerves. I always do this because I've always felt like when I went in relaxed and at peace, my recovery was 100% easier. It's usually a valium cocktail they hit the IV with about 20-30 minutes before they wheel me back.

I've had tons of surgeries with general anesthesia, but I've always had a better experience being somewhat sedate when they take me back. I cry, and hold my husband's hand until the last moment, I say a little pray and ask that God will guide the medical team so I can have an uneventful recovery. I'm not saying to pray or get religious if you're not, just sharing my experiences.

Thanks guys! That really does help!

Respectfully,

Joe

First of all, congrats on taking the steps to change your life!!! The sleeve is such an amazing tool. I was given some of that happy medicine before my revision and it really helps. You should ask the anestesiologist for it. I think it is so normal to be scared. You will do great though. We will be here cheering for you! Yay!

First of all, congrats on taking the steps to change your life!!! The sleeve is such an amazing tool. I was given some of that happy medicine before my revision and it really helps. You should ask the anestesiologist for it. I think it is so normal to be scared. You will do great though. We will be here cheering for you! Yay!

Ty Becca, I appreciate very very much!

Thank You,

Joe

Defintely ask for the pre op cocktail - its fantastic - I told everyone I loved them apparently when I had mine twice.

I have been under general twice and heavy sedation twice. I think thats why I am not scared for this.

Just make sure they do all the pre op surgical testing and you should be good to go.

Good Luck and remember valium is your friend

I had the same fear. My surgeon told me I had a larger chance of dying on the way to the surgery center than I did during the surgery. I think that was supposed to help. lol! And it did.....kinda..... :D

I have never been put to sleep so Im a little scared about that too! My surgery is in 2 wks!

Hi Joe,

I totally understand what you mean about "going under". Have you had an EGD yet? I had mine today and had to be under general anesthesia for it. I acutally cried when the nurse put the IV in. I was really scared. When I was laying in the OR I remember the anesthesiologist saying hello..... then I had a nurse waking me in recovery. I was soooo happy that it was so easy. I know you'll do great. Keep me updated on when you have your EGD (or even if you have to have one). I'd also like to know how you are coming on getting that sleeve date. I have about 10 more appts and hurdles to jump through before I can get my surgeon to send the approval request to my insurance.

Anyway, keep us updated.

I was nervous once the IV was started, so I asked for something to calm my nerves, and it helped tremendously!! I highly recommend it.

:)

I've had a few surgeries and always got sedated first and only remember them putting mask on and saying to breathe once. Other times was out before that point and waking up a second later.