Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

is this pain normal?

ok so since last night.. i have had this off and on pain that comes and goes at the top of my abdomen, like right under my breasts........... its not SUPER sharp.. but like it makes me kinda like catch my breath for a min then it goes away.. what is this???

Im a bit worried.. but want to know if its related to my drinking, or just part of the whole getting used to a new tummy etc etc.. before i call my dr.

Like i said its not like excruciating.. but its kinda like ouch for a minute then it goes away and comes back off n on.

anyway have any input?

You appear to be freshly sleeved. Probably gas or could be reflux too. When my reflux acts up, I get mild chest pain. Not real uncomfortable, but enough to know it is there, just annoying.

I am sure it is one or the other! If you are super concerned, call your Dr.

Kelly

I was sleeved on June 6th and I have the exact same pain you are describing. It hurts especially after I eat something, but it comes and goes at all times during the day and night. Right now it's intense, and I am getting ready to email my doctor. i'll let you know what he says. :)

ok so since last night.. i have had this off and on pain that comes and goes at the top of my abdomen, like right under my breasts........... its not SUPER sharp.. but like it makes me kinda like catch my breath for a min then it goes away.. what is this???

Im a bit worried.. but want to know if its related to my drinking, or just part of the whole getting used to a new tummy etc etc.. before i call my dr.

Like i said its not like excruciating.. but its kinda like ouch for a minute then it goes away and comes back off n on.

anyway have any input?

I was sleeved on June 6th and I have the exact same pain you are describing. It hurts especially after I eat something, but it comes and goes at all times during the day and night. Right now it's intense, and I am getting ready to email my doctor. i'll let you know what he says. :)

Yess pls let me know!

Don't want to flip you out, but if that pain starts to wrap around your side to your back, it might be your gallbladder (don't know if you still have one!). My gallbladder pain was exactly in between my breasts but a little lower and kind of wrapped or radiated around the right side of my body to my back. It definitely got worse after meals. I know gallbladder issues can be triggered by rapid weight loss, so it's just something to keep in mind. I'm hoping yours is just acid or gas-- but even if it's gallbladder, there are solutions.

Best wishes!

Meg

I had a similar pain for the first 6 days after my surgery but then it slowly went away. I can't remember what medicines I went home with from the hospital, but one of them really helped with that pain. My pain was caused by any drinking because my stomach was getting used to liquids, I don't think it was because it was too fast or too much. For the first few days, I got that pain no matter how slow/little I drank, I really think it could be just gas. It was exactly how you described it. I'm glad you decided to e-mail your doctor, I hope everyone realizes that they should call/e-mail their doctors/nurses whenever they want, it's your right as a patient. For some reason, I sensed that one of the PA's actually scared off some of my fellow local sleevers from calling. I call/e-mail for every little thing (only when I can't find an answer online! laugh.gif), I know that I might be coming off as annoying but it's our health and it's part of their job to answer questions ^_^

I completely agree! I have no problem emailing and calling my doctor (I've done both for this issue, but still haven't gotten a response, which is annoying). I'll post as soon as I hear back from him, but I do have an appointment on Monday so he can't ignore me for long...lol I have a feeling it's stomach acid though.

I had a similar pain for the first 6 days after my surgery but then it slowly went away. I can't remember what medicines I went home with from the hospital, but one of them really helped with that pain. My pain was caused by any drinking because my stomach was getting used to liquids, I don't think it was because it was too fast or too much. For the first few days, I got that pain no matter how slow/little I drank, I really think it could be just gas. It was exactly how you described it. I'm glad you decided to e-mail your doctor, I hope everyone realizes that they should call/e-mail their doctors/nurses whenever they want, it's your right as a patient. For some reason, I sensed that one of the PA's actually scared off some of my fellow local sleevers from calling. I call/e-mail for every little thing (only when I can't find an answer online! laugh.gif), I know that I might be coming off as annoying but it's our health and it's part of their job to answer questions ^_^

I have this problem on my left side right under my breast. Call Dr. and said it was gas and it will go away. Im 2.3 weeks post op and most of it has went away. Once a day to every other day now. If it is your right side which was the first question my doctor asked it most it could be gallbladder as previous poster said. Hope you feel better soon!

Hi there,

For me, it's dead in the middle of my upper stomach just below my breasts. It's a pressure that comes on similar to a contraction, then it eases and goes away. Then it comes back :( It happens a lot just after I eat or drink anything.

I have this problem on my left side right under my breast. Call Dr. and said it was gas and it will go away. Im 2.3 weeks post op and most of it has went away. Once a day to every other day now. If it is your right side which was the first question my doctor asked it most it could be gallbladder as previous poster said. Hope you feel better soon!

Hi Tamz,

I spoke with my surgeon today, and he's having me go in to see him tomorrow. He said he wants to make sure I don't have a leak!!! He doesn't really believe it's a leak, but is going to send me for an upper G.I. again just to make sure. He said it is more than likely acid, but wants to be on the safe side. I will post tomorrow night when I get home and let you know what he says. How are you doing with your pain?

anyway have any input?

Hi Tamz,

I spoke with my surgeon today, and he's having me go in to see him tomorrow. He said he wants to make sure I don't have a leak!!! He doesn't really believe it's a leak, but is going to send me for an upper G.I. again just to make sure. He said it is more than likely acid, but wants to be on the safe side. I will post tomorrow night when I get home and let you know what he says. How are you doing with your pain?

Oh noooo! I am so scared now.. lol ..well my pain is a little less still there. Happens after i eat.. i think im eating a bit too fast. I went to my PCP today for a follow up... and i asked him .. he said it happens when eating too fast.. he seemed to not really be concerned and said all this is normal. So.. we'll see.. i meet with my surgeon again on the 22nd. Im going to call in the morning though.. im worried now :/

It can also be the sleeve spasms. Sometimes you can try different temperature fluids like warm tea. Some sleeves just don't like cold temps at first.

Yeah, it happens mostly when I eat, but the last couple of days it's been happening randomly as well, and even when I drink. It's happening as I write this and all I'm drinking is Water. It's got me a lot freaked out, but I'll know by tomorrow. I'll post back when I get my results, but you should probably call or email your surgeon too. Good luck, and let's jsut hope it's gas or acid! lol

Oh noooo! I am so scared now.. lol ..well my pain is a little less still there. Happens after i eat.. i think im eating a bit too fast. I went to my PCP today for a follow up... and i asked him .. he said it happens when eating too fast.. he seemed to not really be concerned and said all this is normal. So.. we'll see.. i meet with my surgeon again on the 22nd. Im going to call in the morning though.. im worried now :/

It can also be the sleeve spasms. Sometimes you can try different temperature fluids like warm tea. Some sleeves just don't like cold temps at first.

This is my guess as well. spasms in the diaphram or new tummy. Gas can cause way bad pain as anyone here can tell you. It totally sucks at first because everything is new and scary. New noises, spasms, feelings and even sounds. Everything is different and it always makes you want to grab the phone and call the doctor. Just know that they DID do 3 leak tests before you left the hospital so it's more than likely NOT a leak! Take eating and drinking very slow and try different temperatures to see if that helps any. Try Gaviscon or Gas-X (gas x never did much for me but the gaviscon works like a charm) and see if that helps.

Just my suggestions, coming from a total hypochondriac, these are what I tried.

Renee`