Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

first day home from hospital.. HELP!

I am home from the hospital as of this afternoon.. thank god :) THank you all for the well wishes you are all wonderful. Can someone please answer these questions for me...

1. is it normal for the area where dr put the tube for drainage to be sore.. he took it out before i came home this afternoon since there really wasnt much leakage. Told me to just shower with the bandage on it.. then dry off and replace the gauze and bandage. Its very tender and a little swollen around it.. is this normal??

2. Does 1 sugar free popsicle count as my whole 2 oz of liquid for the hour im eating it? Im feeling thirsty and ok to drink .. but afraid :/

3. Tomorrow i start my full liquids for 5 wks -- I am trying to figure out the best way to get down this Protein and all my other stuff. So - if i taken 3scoops of Protein powder that is my 60 grams right there for the day. If i mix it with 8 oz of Water and just keep it in the fridge and then pour 2 oz every other hour.. that works and satisfies my daily protein requirements right?? then of course in the hours in between ill be doing my jellow/yogurt/applesauce whatever .. and water since water is unlimited. Does this all make sense? I am so scared to mess it up or miss getting in my protein.. and I want to try to avoid calling the dr for EVERY single thing since I know everyone here has been thru this!!!

Please help me :) I would so appreciate some help on all 3 things. About how long did your area where your tube was removed hurt :( thats really the only pain im having so im hoping it goes soon :( :( I get so worried about infections or leakage!

Thanksall

I am home from the hospital as of this afternoon.. thank god :) THank you all for the well wishes you are all wonderful. Can someone please answer these questions for me...

1. is it normal for the area where dr put the tube for drainage to be sore.. he took it out before i came home this afternoon since there really wasnt much leakage. Told me to just shower with the bandage on it.. then dry off and replace the gauze and bandage. Its very tender and a little swollen around it.. is this normal??

2. Does 1 sugar free popsicle count as my whole 2 oz of liquid for the hour im eating it? Im feeling thirsty and ok to drink .. but afraid :/

3. Tomorrow i start my full liquids for 5 wks -- I am trying to figure out the best way to get down this Protein and all my other stuff. So - if i taken 3scoops of Protein Powder that is my 60 grams right there for the day. If i mix it with 8 oz of Water and just keep it in the fridge and then pour 2 oz every other hour.. that works and satisfies my daily Protein requirements right?? then of course in the hours in between ill be doing my jellow/yogurt/applesauce whatever .. and Water since water is unlimited. Does this all make sense? I am so scared to mess it up or miss getting in my protein.. and I want to try to avoid calling the dr for EVERY single thing since I know everyone here has been thru this!!!

Please help me :) I would so appreciate some help on all 3 things. About how long did your area where your tube was removed hurt :( thats really the only pain im having so im hoping it goes soon :( :( I get so worried about infections or leakage!

Thanksall

1. I did not have a tube so can't answer this one!

2. That 2 ounces is something to aim for- that does not mean you cannot have more! Most people have a LOT of trouble getting liquids in but some lucky people can drink more. You can have the popsicle and drink too. Popsicles went down so easily for me! I loved it! I wish they had fewer crbs though but that does NOT matter in the first month or so for sure.

3. Unfortunately protein breaks down after a few hours and is not good any more. IN addition , most sources say that 30 grams is about the most you can assimilate at once. So the 60 grams made in the morning and drunk slowly wont really work but it does work to make a smaller drink and drink those small cups for a couple of hours and then make another one.

I found it works to set my phone alarm for every 10-15 minutes and drink then- it really helps keep you on target! Good luck- you'll do fine.

Hi Tamz!

Focus on your liquid intake and the Protein will follow. I don't think anyone (correct me if I'm wrong people :) ) has reached their 60 grams of Protein until around 2 weeks or so. I know I didn't and my doc wanted me to focus on being hydrated more.

You are doing everything you need to do, and keep asking as many questions as you have, information is the key!

As for the drain, I'm 6 days post-op and I STILL have a drain in. I have to empty it 2 times a day and record the amount I get. It's sore most of the time where it comes out of my belly. It SUCKS! I have to keep it in until my appointment Thursday. So be happy you had yours out. I would say a soreness is completely normal.

Aww that sux.. Mine was barely draining this morning so he just took it out. I wish the soreness would go .. otherwise id feel fine :/

Just take a deep breath.Relax!!:bathbaby: Yes. It is absolutely normal for the incision where the drain tube was to be sore. It's a hole in your body!! :crutch: Just keep it clean, and covered . It will be fine. Don't worry about the popsicles!! They are your friend!!! You can have MORE liquids than 2oz. That amount is just your goal. Enjoy!!! I know they have saved my days this week.

I know tha Protein breaks down after awhile, so will not attempt to answer your question about that. I would suggest that you just relax and try to stay hydrated. That is your JOB right now. The Protein game will come along after a bit.

Relax, sip, sip, sip, and get aquainted with your new sleeve.:hug:

Welcome to the Losers' Bench, Sista Jewel of June!!!!:grouphug:

Valentina

3. Tomorrow i start my full liquids for 5 wks -- I am trying to figure out the best way to get down this protein and all my other stuff. So - if i taken 3scoops of protein powder that is my 60 grams right there for the day. If i mix it with 8 oz of Water and just keep it in the fridge and then pour 2 oz every other hour.. that works and satisfies my daily protein requirements right?? then of course in the hours in between ill be doing my jellow/yogurt/applesauce whatever .. and Water since water is unlimited. Does this all make sense? I am so scared to mess it up or miss getting in my protein.. and I want to try to avoid calling the dr for EVERY single thing since I know everyone here has been thru this!!!

Thanksall

3. Tomorrow i start my full liquids for 5 wks -- I am trying to figure out the best way to get down this Protein and all my other stuff. So - if i taken 3scoops of Protein powder that is my 60 grams right there for the day. If i mix it with 8 oz of Water and just keep it in the fridge and then pour 2 oz every other hour.. that works and satisfies my daily protein requirements right?? then of course in the hours in between ill be doing my jellow/yogurt/applesauce whatever .. and Water since water is unlimited. Does this all make sense? I am so scared to mess it up or miss getting in my protein.. and I want to try to avoid calling the dr for EVERY single thing since I know everyone here has been thru this!!!

Thanksall

The place where my drain was hurt for about a week and was swollen for about that long, too. I also had a little pinkish-brown discharge from it for the first couple of days. It healed fine.

sugar free popsicles count as liquid no matter how long it takes you to eat it!

I disagree with meggiep that your protein will deteriorate over a day. I say split it however you can get it down; but 3 scoops in 8 oz is going to be pretty thick. If you can't get in all the protein make sure you get all the water you can--dehydration is your biggest enemy at this point. Water (or other water-based liquids) first, then protein, then anything else you have room for.

You will do great!

I did not have a drain, so can't answer that question.

You need to just focus on liquids for now. NOT PROTEIN!! It is not important at this point and TRUST ME when I tell you that you are not going to be able to focus on anything but getting that liquid in!!!!! That will be hard enough when you can not eat! SIP SIP SIP and stay hyrdrated. They say that one popcicle is 1oz of Fluid melted. Try to do 1oz of Fluid every 15 minutes for the first week (more if you are able) and you will stay hydrated!

Kelly ;)

I have been told about Protein breaking down at GNC and also by the people at Chike. They say after 3-4 hours it is no longer intact. I have no reason to doubt them but am open to hearing data that says otherwise.

I was able to get 80 grams a day from day five on. Once it was easier to drink I included three Protein drinks in my liquids- and the liquid counts in your liquids anyway.

Hi,

I had my surgery on the 24th May.

1)..I did not have any trouble with being sore from the drain tube, i got mine out on day 2. but everyone is different, so it's perfectatly normal to be sore.

2.) Don't know the answer here, but i think several here have already addressed it.

3.) I was one of those who also was focused on Protein right away, cause it's what the Dr. said....lol well, I was getting in 60 to 80 grams starting with day 2, but I was so full from doing this, I wasent drinking the Water. The wonderful people here helped me to understand that Water was more important then the Protein at first. You really don't want to have to go back to the hospital, get a IV again just so they can hydrate you again......not good :angry:

You mentioned applesause?.....My dr said that wont start until the mushie/soft foods stage, you may want to double check.....(i know every DR, is different.) My dr told me liquids for 4 weeks, but I see some people here can have them per their dr after 2 weeks......just follow your Dr's orders no matter what others here are doing. Your DR knows best as to the way he did your surgery. Remember, your stomach when through a terriable ordeal......liquids are best, and about week 2, you will be so sick of the liquids.........but keep it going, stay strong, you don't want to do anything to mess this surgery up.

After I read lots of the postings where ppl were getting to eat real food after 2 weeks, I called my Dr's office...begged and pleaded.....and I still got a NO!.......lol...GRRRR

Good luck in your healing!

3. Tomorrow i start my full liquids for 5 wks -- I am trying to figure out the best way to get down this protein and all my other stuff. So - if i taken 3scoops of protein powder that is my 60 grams right there for the day. If i mix it with 8 oz of water and just keep it in the fridge and then pour 2 oz every other hour.. that works and satisfies my daily protein requirements right?? then of course in the hours in between ill be doing my jellow/yogurt/applesauce whatever .. and water since water is unlimited. Does this all make sense? I am so scared to mess it up or miss getting in my protein.. and I want to try to avoid calling the dr for EVERY single thing since I know everyone here has been thru this!!!

Thanksall

3. Tomorrow i start my full liquids for 5 wks -- I am trying to figure out the best way to get down this Protein and all my other stuff. So - if i taken 3scoops of Protein powder that is my 60 grams right there for the day. If i mix it with 8 oz of Water and just keep it in the fridge and then pour 2 oz every other hour.. that works and satisfies my daily Protein requirements right?? then of course in the hours in between ill be doing my jellow/yogurt/applesauce whatever .. and Water since water is unlimited. Does this all make sense? I am so scared to mess it up or miss getting in my protein.. and I want to try to avoid calling the dr for EVERY single thing since I know everyone here has been thru this!!!

Thanksall

Hey Tamz, I had my surgery on May 25th, they took my drain tube out on May 27th before I went home. It is very normal for it to be sore at your stage, mine was tender for about 10 days. My stitches were removed on the 11th day and it is very important to use a saline wash like a product called wound wash. You need to do this two to three times a day. We were not allowed to use any petroleum based products like neosporin on the incisions. Mine have healed nicely and are no longer tender. I too was concerned about the protein at your stage but the Doc said get the liquids in, the protein will come later. If you become dehydrated, the protein is the last of your worries. I know you have heard it a thousand times but sip, sip, sip.

The best way to monitor if you have a leak is you would feel real bad and your fever will go up. I took my temperature everyday for three weeks. My temp never got over 98.4 degrees and I never felt bad. You are doing fine. I was able to sleep on both sides just 2 weeks after surgery so the pain will go away. Keep us posted.