Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I officially The Lowest Loser??

My nutritionist definitely said that <700-800 calories a day, you risk setting yourself up for rebound because the body will adjust -- starvation mode, or crisis mode, as it may be.

If I were you, I'd consider upping my calories. You can do it with a little creative thinking. Add some nice cheese to your tuna or egg, a little healthy olive oil, or even a little butter, Peanut Butter, or soft Beans.

My nutritionist definitely said that <700-800 calories a day, you risk setting yourself up for rebound because the body will adjust -- starvation mode, or crisis mode, as it may be.

If I were you, I'd consider upping my calories. You can do it with a little creative thinking. Add some nice cheese to your tuna or egg, a little healthy olive oil, or even a little butter, Peanut Butter, or soft Beans.

Thanks. That's the theory I'm going on and I have worked myself up to 650 for the last 2 days.(And, BTW, with going up in calories, I'm down 2 pounds since Saturday morning!) Who knew it could be so hard to get to 650 calories. I was really wanting this to be a healthy experience for me so I was wanting to use a lot of fish and healthy veggies. I'm having to punt and switch to some beef and I bought some of those 200 calorie Protein bars. I'm trying anything and everything. I can only get about 2/3's of one of the Protein Bars in but that's 30 calories more than if I had a white fish fillet. 5x a day it adds up to help.

I didn't like Peanut Butter before but find I can tolerate it now so I am going to try and work it into some things. And do you know, I never thought of butter! I guess if I'm not eating bread, butter left my brain. Wow. What a difference in just a couple of months!

Many people re-start their weight loss by upping their calories. When you go that low for so long your body is bound to go into starvation mode, and hold on to every single thing. The principle of the plan that it seems most successful losers on this forum follow is to eat high Protein to protect your muscles from being burned, and eat low carbs to force you body into ketosis- where fat is burned. The Water is needed for washing out the byproducts of the fat burning. Exercise keeps it all humming. I have never seen is prescribed to eat 500 calories a day. What program is that? In reading that I seriously can see why you have lost so slowly- it does not seem chemically like it would work that well.

I wasn't prescribed 500 calories. I eat 5 times a day and can take 3 ounces per meal. That's all I can hold. So far, it's been coming out to an average of 500 calories a day. I would never be staying with a "prescribed" 500 calories if I could hold more. I'm working on it but heavier food or a larger quantity makes me feel bad. It physically hurts. Lucky you don't have that issue.

Oh, the only thing that's bee prescribed - actually a part of the program -- is no liquid calories. That's going to change for me too. I've got nothing but time so I'm going to try other things.

I wasn't prescribed 500 calories. I eat 5 times a day and can take 3 ounces per meal. That's all I can hold. So far, it's been coming out to an average of 500 calories a day. I would never be staying with a "prescribed" 500 calories if I could hold more. I'm working on it but heavier food or a larger quantity makes me feel bad. It physically hurts. Lucky you don't have that issue.

Oh, the only thing that's bee prescribed - actually a part of the program -- is no liquid calories. That's going to change for me too. I've got nothing but time so I'm going to try other things.

For some reason I thought you said the 500 was prescribed- totally got that wrong!

Actually I am not that lucky- a 1/4 cup (2 ounces) is my absolute max! I do drink a Protein drink every morning though to get the Protein up- no way could I at this point get it from my food. I am running about 600 calories with the 1/4 cups and the Protein Drink so every other day or so I add a sugar free pudding cup to bring up my calories and to bring up my carbs from 10! I am loathe to go into starvation mode. I also do two exercise sessions on five days a week- walking an hour in the afternoon, and Water walk for an hour in the evening. I am so motivated to put my "slow loser" days behind me! I have lost 16 pounds since my surgery 4 weeks ago, and 18 on my pre-op before. I already had an 8 day span with no loss. I am constantly scared I will be going in to another one.

One thing to do is stay with full fat things like cheese, mayo, etc. With our limited calories we are unlikely to get too much fat and we need fat for this metabolism system to work.

Also- when you say packaged food- do you mean packaged prepared food? Could it be high in sodium that makes you keep fluids in?

I would also definitely get Protein drinks until you can get your protein from food because the combo of lower protein than recommended and such low calories can lead to you burning muscle instead of fat.

I wish we didn't have to spend so much freaking time thinking about all this. For example, I am so behind on my Water today just because I forgot for a while. Sigh.

I keep posting because Mama Meggie sees a problem and wants so to solve it! Hope I am not annoying you.

Well you're not annoying me Meggie! It's really really tough in the first few months after surgery. You almost have to become obsessive with everything you put in your mouth. Unlike pre-surgery it's that you NEED to eat/drink instead of that you don't. It's a very hard concept! And with a tiny tummy, it can just be incredibly hard to accomplish this.

I right now at nearly 9 months out I don't really have a hard time getting over 120 Oz of Water in and including around 900 to 1200 calories per day. Getting higher than that is a bit tough as my surgeon carves a very very tight sleeve, but IMO I think I needed that. ;) I do try to keep my calories up, and especially on the days that I'm doing my hardcore cardios. I will do my hour workout and immediately after I'll make me a Protein shake bomb. It has over 40 grams Protein and adds in about 200 calories to my daily total. It helps me a lot and I feel really good once I have it.

I think sometimes Dr.'s worry with "drinking the calories" simply because they don't want us to abuse it. They'd rather we didn't do it at all, but I think if we are responsible about it and our drinking of calories is for nutritional purposes I really don't see any problem with it. Sometimes I just don't have time to eat, and I need the extra protein! What am I supposed to do?

Anyway, that's my contribution to this thread. It's good to try to keep the calories moving about. Staying at one degree for too long and your body does get used to it. It's one of the ways I keep my scale moving.

Hugs to all!!!

For some reason I thought you said the 500 was prescribed- totally got that wrong!

Actually I am not that lucky- a 1/4 cup (2 ounces) is my absolute max! I do drink a Protein drink every morning though to get the Protein up- no way could I at this point get it from my food. I am running about 600 calories with the 1/4 cups and the Protein Drink so every other day or so I add a sugar free pudding cup to bring up my calories and to bring up my carbs from 10! I am loathe to go into starvation mode. I also do two exercise sessions on five days a week- walking an hour in the afternoon, and Water walk for an hour in the evening. I am so motivated to put my "slow loser" days behind me! I have lost 16 pounds since my surgery 4 weeks ago, and 18 on my pre-op before. I already had an 8 day span with no loss. I am constantly scared I will be going in to another one.

One thing to do is stay with full fat things like cheese, mayo, etc. With our limited calories we are unlikely to get too much fat and we need fat for this metabolism system to work.

Also- when you say packaged food- do you mean packaged prepared food? Could it be high in sodium that makes you keep fluids in?

I would also definitely get Protein drinks until you can get your protein from food because the combo of lower protein than recommended and such low calories can lead to you burning muscle instead of fat.

I wish we didn't have to spend so much freaking time thinking about all this. For example, I am so behind on my Water today just because I forgot for a while. Sigh.

I keep posting because Mama Meggie sees a problem and wants so to solve it! Hope I am not annoying you.

Boy, ain't that the truth. I don't mind much of this, but the details are so bothersome. I said in an earlier post that I hate being tied to the clock. Because I am so small on the tummy I can't miss my food time. I feel like a baby.

No, nothing is prepared. But everything is like tuna from a can (not fresh tuna cooked) or applesauce (unsweet) from a jar. (I'm keeping that in my diet as it slides down easy and I think I can use the bathroom boost it gives. I'm not holding any water, there's no softness to my legs at all. When I had the surgery they checked me several times for water so I know now how to poke your thumb into your leg. Also, and this is both good and bad, my blood pressure has dropped way down. I was on 2 meds 3 months ago. I am glad to be rid of them as they were expensive ones my insurance didn't cover yet but now it's been too low. Can you believe it? On Sunday it was 90/60. Thankfully, with the work week,I am now back to 120/76, so close to perfect. But when the stress is off, the blood pressure drops. I guess I need my stressful job.

I think sometimes Dr.'s worry with "drinking the calories" simply because they don't want us to abuse it. They'd rather we didn't do it at all, but I think if we are responsible about it and our drinking of calories is for nutritional purposes I really don't see any problem with it. Sometimes I just don't have time to eat, and I need the extra protein! What am I supposed to do?

Agree. And I think I gave their way a fair shot. And, if my stomach ever becomes large enough that I can get 750 a day without liquid, I'll be happy to drop liquid calories. I don't think I will ever abuse liquid calories. I think most of the drinks are icky sweet and I don't like ice cream so actual milk shakes are out. (It just leaves a terrible taste in my mouth.)

Of course, a lot of my thinking is based on dropping 2 pounds immediately as I ramp up the calories. So I will try these different things. I can always change again.

Well you're not annoying me Meggie! It's really really tough in the first few months after surgery. You almost have to become obsessive with everything you put in your mouth. Unlike pre-surgery it's that you NEED to eat/drink instead of that you don't. It's a very hard concept! And with a tiny tummy, it can just be incredibly hard to accomplish this.

I right now at nearly 9 months out I don't really have a hard time getting over 120 Oz of Water in and including around 900 to 1200 calories per day. Getting higher than that is a bit tough as my surgeon carves a very very tight sleeve, but IMO I think I needed that. ;) I do try to keep my calories up, and especially on the days that I'm doing my hardcore cardios. I will do my hour workout and immediately after I'll make me a Protein shake bomb. It has over 40 grams Protein and adds in about 200 calories to my daily total. It helps me a lot and I feel really good once I have it.

Anyway, that's my contribution to this thread. It's good to try to keep the calories moving about. Staying at one degree for too long and your body does get used to it. It's one of the ways I keep my scale moving.

Hugs to all!!!

I agree- there is no way I could get my 80 grams right now with purees and no drinks. I am pleased to use only one drink- my morning "bomb" ;-P with Decaf and milk and ice. Sometimes I augment with an powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup in the afternoon.

However since 1-4 -Many gets five meals a day I think getting more than 500 calories should be possible. I pureed two ounces of costco rotisserie chicken salad today for 12 grams protein and 120 calories. She is able to eat 3 ounces- so I think it should be possible to get up to 200 calories per meal if you are motivated to do it. I myself am trying to bump up a bit today because I have had too many 500-600 days in a row so I need to surprise the old bod!

I always appreciate your wisdom Irene- coming from being a long way out it is a treasure to us just starting out! xoxo

Boy, ain't that the truth. I don't mind much of this, but the details are so bothersome. I said in an earlier post that I hate being tied to the clock. Because I am so small on the tummy I can't miss my food time. I feel like a baby.

No, nothing is prepared. But everything is like tuna from a can (not fresh tuna cooked) or applesauce (unsweet) from a jar. (I'm keeping that in my diet as it slides down easy and I think I can use the bathroom boost it gives. I'm not holding any Water, there's no softness to my legs at all. When I had the surgery they checked me several times for Water so I know now how to poke your thumb into your leg. Also, and this is both good and bad, my blood pressure has dropped way down. I was on 2 meds 3 months ago. I am glad to be rid of them as they were expensive ones my insurance didn't cover yet but now it's been too low. Can you believe it? On Sunday it was 90/60. Thankfully, with the work week,I am now back to 120/76, so close to perfect. But when the stress is off, the blood pressure drops. I guess I need my stressful job.

This is where the different plans we are all given get a bit frustrating! I am not allowed more than 1T of applesauce out of my 4T at each meal because it is lumped int with potato etc. as pure carb. All fruit is handled that way, though I get a little more leeway with vegetables I am supposed to have at least 2T Protein at every meal and if I choose to add another food- either 2T pureed vegies or 1T veg and 1T pureed fruit. Since I think you get 6T (that is a fantasy for me!!!) I think you should be able to get the calories to boost your fat burning. I truly think your body is in starvation mode!

I have been reading a lot about glycogen, and about ketosis and I am really starting to understand the optimum approach to this. I want YOU to have great results!

Meanwhile I feel like I have another fulltime job keeping track of fluids, Protein, and carbs. ARGHHHHHH!!!!!

Before you give up, like Diva said - you need to UP your calories. Listen, I was where you have been. Right now your body is starving and in starvation mode so it is not shedding weight. You are far out enough to consume more Protein, even if it is in liquid form. Up your calories a minimum of 250 calories for a week. Keep carbs to no more than 30 this week. Try this for two weeks and see if what the scale says. Sometimes weight loss is size not pounds. Last four months I have lost 4 pounds total but lost almost two full sizes of clothes. Weight redistributes, so don't get discouraged, okay?

Report back and let us know if the scale changes. The sleeve works!

Do you exercise? That is another important component to keep your metabolism humming.

I am right there with you. I lost 10 pounds the first week and was thrilled but that was the one and only week of significant weight loss I have had. I am now almost 15 weeks post sleeve and I have lost a grand total of 24 pounds.

Okay, since I have some energy back and only occasionally feel icky I am learning to accept this. But for those of you who think you are slow losers I thought I would share with you my astounding stats:

Sleeved almost 6 weeks ago and I have lost as of this morning: 10.5 pounds

Ta-da....drop the confetti....flash the strob lights.....whoohoooooo

(Moment of pride and clarity: 36.5 total. I lost the rest pre-surgery just dieting in 4 months. Odd, huh.)

Sadly, I have been guessing. This was stopping by the center's office and off their official scales. I actually thought I was doing better.

3 to 4 ounce capacity. Eating 5 times a day.

Oh well. I figure things will eventually change and obviously I was never going to get skinny on my own. Thankfully, I only want to get down to moderately fat. My thyroid was checked about 18 months ago but they are going to check it again next week. They initially thought I was not counting my food right but then they saw everything is packaged. I mean, how can you mis-count a 3 ounce white fish fillet or a large egg? I am NOT a from scratch type of cook.

My honest instinct is that this surgery just happened to coincide with menopause for me. So I really think that's a piece of why my poor confused body doesn't know which direction to go. So my next step might be a year or two of hormone replacement. I know it's risky but using them temporarily to see if it helps with the weight loss --- well there are times when the risk of not doing thing is as risky as doing them as I have learned from this whole experience.

And I'm so glad that almost 40 pounds are gone forever. It does make a huge difference now that summer is here!

I am right there with you. I lost 10 pounds the first week and was thrilled but that was the one and only week of significant weight loss I have had. I am now almost 15 weeks post sleeve and I have lost a grand total of 24 pounds.

Yipes! Ok- all the questions- do you count carbs? I have come to see that is really important in maximizing weight loss. Do you get your Protein, Water, and exercise? I know we get about 6-9 months of maximum weight loss period and I would love to help you identify what might be going wrong. I mean, your stomach is tiny!!!!!

I have been a slow loser all my life. My sisters remember me dieting years and years ago eating 2 yogurts a day and not losing anything- even gaining. However, I have taken this drastic step and I am bound and determined to make it work. I am going to count carbs if it kills me ;-P I have been both walking 45 minutes to an hour a day AND Water walking at night. I almost feel like I have a second job doing my nutrition, water, etc.

I was wanting to find another way besides having such low carbs because lets face it- it is hard! But I have been doing a lot of reading, starting with the article that has been posted here quite a few times about the chemistry of stalls, and also researching ketosis and the chemistry of weightloss with low carbs. So I hate to always harp on that but I have really come to believe that doing so is the way.

The other thing is that odd thing about making sure your calories are not too low so that you don't start conserving everything for survival!

Oh it is all so frustrating and I do not want to imply anything as you may be doing all this but my heart just goes out to you and I hug you cyber hug because you must be very frustrated!

Okay, since I have some energy back and only occasionally feel icky I am learning to accept this. But for those of you who think you are slow losers I thought I would share with you my astounding stats:

Sleeved almost 6 weeks ago and I have lost as of this morning: 10.5 pounds

Ta-da....drop the confetti....flash the strob lights.....whoohoooooo

(Moment of pride and clarity: 36.5 total. I lost the rest pre-surgery just dieting in 4 months. Odd, huh.)

Sadly, I have been guessing. This was stopping by the center's office and off their official scales. I actually thought I was doing better.

3 to 4 ounce capacity. Eating 5 times a day.

Oh well. I figure things will eventually change and obviously I was never going to get skinny on my own. Thankfully, I only want to get down to moderately fat. My thyroid was checked about 18 months ago but they are going to check it again next week. They initially thought I was not counting my food right but then they saw everything is packaged. I mean, how can you mis-count a 3 ounce white fish fillet or a large egg? I am NOT a from scratch type of cook.

My honest instinct is that this surgery just happened to coincide with menopause for me. So I really think that's a piece of why my poor confused body doesn't know which direction to go. So my next step might be a year or two of hormone replacement. I know it's risky but using them temporarily to see if it helps with the weight loss --- well there are times when the risk of not doing thing is as risky as doing them as I have learned from this whole experience.

And I'm so glad that almost 40 pounds are gone forever. It does make a huge difference now that summer is here!