Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Birth Control and Weight Loss

<font color="#9932cc">It's funny because when I was getting the Depo, the doctor actually told me that the shot does not make you gain weight. It might increase your appetite and you inturn gain weight. Pretty much every person I know that has been on it, gained weight so I would never go back on it. Yeah it was easy but I'm sure I can find other solutions. I'm going to check into the NuvaRing I just don't know about having to insert it. :blink: Anybody out there have the NuvaRing? Anyway, I was able to get an appointment next Thursday for my pap smear so I will let you guys know what I decide. Although, I can't get this implant out until the 28th.

I've had several friend use it, and some love it, some hate it. One called it "NuvaDeathRing" because she felt so horrific on it and went back on the pill. Then there was the one that the nuvaring fell out and she didn't realize and ended up pregnant LOL.

Let us know what you decide! ! !

I've had several friend use it, and some love it, some hate it. One called it "NuvaDeathRing" because she felt so horrific on it and went back on the pill. Then there was the one that the nuvaring fell out and she didn't realize and ended up pregnant LOL.

Let us know what you decide! ! !

Hmm...that sounds pretty bad... (sigh) I wish this stuff wasn't so 'hit or miss'.... :wacko:

I am currently on Depo and have decided not to get my next shot in July. I should know better than to be on it but I loved the effect of not having my period.

The first time I wason Depo several years ago I gained 80lbs. I think it could potentially mess with my weight loss now and I don't want anything getting in the way. Now since I have started losing weight I get very light periods for weeks on end. I have had light spotting for over 2 weeks now. I would rather deal with the 1 week a month than this constant aggravation of it never going away.

<font color="#9932cc" face="Lucida Sans Unicode">Yup Chicadee, I know how that feels. Back in December I think I had my period the whole month. No lie. And then I think I was off for maybe a week and then went back on for another few weeks. My GYN appt is tommorrow and I will be talking to him about whether I should try a different type of BC or I was thinking about making the hubs use a condom (which he isn't too happy about). But I told him that I am sick of having added hormones in my body doing God-knows-what and maybe he should stop being so selfish.

<font color="#9932cc" face="Lucida Sans Unicode">Sorry guys, I had wrote out a whole paragraph about how my appt went and VST ate it and I just didn't feel like writing it out again at the time.

It happened again luckily I copied it before I posted... I don't know what's going on...

<font color="#9932cc" face="Lucida Sans Unicode">Sorry guys, I had wrote out a whole paragraph about how my appt went and VST ate it and I just didn't feel like writing it out again at the time.

Sorry guys, I had wrote out a whole paragraph about how my appt went and VST ate it and I just didn't feel like writing it out again at the time. (which has been happening alot to me lately) ? Any who, so this GYN was a new one but he was recommended by my step-mom who used him for years. I was immeadiately comfortable with him because he basically came it talking like we had been friends for years (which I really liked). I told him about my surgery, birth control, and weight history and what my concerns were with the different kinds of birth control. I also told him that condoms are pretty much out of the question because my husband almost had a heart attack when I asked him about using them. Lord knows I don't need any more excuses for him not to have sex with me.

So after the pap smear and everything, we went to his office and talked about my options. He did tell me that he hardly ever recommends Implanon and never recommends Depo because of the various problems associated with them, mostly weight issues. He said if I wanted to go back to an implant, I could try Mirena but I said absolutely not. I have known too many people that had very serious issues with it. So then he said a pill would probably be my best bet because most of them don't have much effect on weight. He also told me that he could take my Implanon out and when I come in for that, he will get me started on a pill. He said he would like for me to do a 28 day pill at first to get my period regulated and to help the lining of my uterus grow back some since it would be really thin from the Implanon. He said after a few months on the 28 day pill, I could try something different, if I want, like some of the ones where you only have 4 periods a year. I really liked what he had to say and I know he understands where I'm coming from about the weight issues because he said he had always struggled with his weight also. I go back in on July 6 to get the implant out so I still have some time to research what brand of pill I want to try but I have no idea. I have never taken pills before so i'm kinda in the dark about that...

Well, that seemed to go well! I have been on the 4 a year period bc pill for a LOng time. Only we use some pill called Reclipsen and I just start a new pack and plan my period when I want to deal with it....so I LOVE IT!!!! But my concern with this is that I have read on here that bc pills are not as effective the more overweight you are and that with the rapid weight loss, it doesn't work as well and then whamoo your pregnant!!!! Before you want to be and my case I don't want to be at ALL!!!! I'm 46, my hubby is 55 and we have two daughters from China and that is enough for us....so with this in mind, I'm not sure what to do? My OB says for my hubby to get fixed! What to do??? Tracy

Well, that seemed to go well! I have been on the 4 a year period bc pill for a LOng time. Only we use some pill called Reclipsen and I just start a new pack and plan my period when I want to deal with it....so I LOVE IT!!!! But my concern with this is that I have read on here that bc pills are not as effective the more overweight you are and that with the rapid weight loss, it doesn't work as well and then whamoo your pregnant!!!! Before you want to be and my case I don't want to be at ALL!!!! I'm 46, my hubby is 55 and we have two daughters from China and that is enough for us....so with this in mind, I'm not sure what to do? My OB says for my hubby to get fixed! What to do??? Tracy

Well since you guys definately don't want children, maybe he should seriously think about the snip. I hear it's a very easy procedure for them, much better then a tube tying or hysterectomy for us. I am going to do my research about the pills before I go back to the Dr because he seems like the pills would be perfectly fine for me. I'm also a bit apprehensive about it though...

I wouldn't wish an IUD on my worst enemy! I had a horrible experience with one, and ended up having a hysterectomy.

Paraguard IUD is non hormonal and is what I will be using. Finally got an appointment with my doc. I checked every form of BC , I came accross paraguard and filled out a request and they sent me an informative packet. I will be taking this with me to my appointment.

Deb

I have the Mirena too and LOVE it!! I had it a few years before getting sleeved and now that I've been sleeved for 2 months, I have no issues at all! I dont get my period, I dont spot, I dont get cramps, nothing! It's perfect for me. I originally had the Paraguard (the non-hormonal IUD) and had to get it replaced with the Mirena cuz I had terrible cramps, heavy, heavy bleeding and just couldn't stand it anymore. I have it about 3 months before I had it removed.

I may be late to this post but I agree with not going with depo. Especially if already on it long term. A few years ago I stopped taking BC altogether to see if that was the cause of my weight gain. Plus I think the depot was making me go crazy! When I got back on bc I went with The Nuva ring. It stays in for 3 weeks and on the 4th I take it out and have my period. I love it and so far no significant weight gain that I can tell. Only thing is it's hella expensive and your insurance may not cover it. I know mine doesn't and theres no generic