Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay, Freaking out time!!! Sugery Monday AM

Hi guys, I'm really freaked out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Surgery is Monday 7am. Tomorrow I start two days of only clear fluids. I've been on combo of liquid shakes and 4oz lean Protein and cup of vegies for dinner for the past two and a half weeks. I'm hungry and I'm scared!!!! This board is full of good info and great experiences. TODAY there appeared to be a slew of postings of bad experiences: someone that maybe have become dehydrated, someone that can't eat.... Holly Cow!!!! I got in when I got home and read this and called my husband asking him if I should cancel. I don't want to be "sick" guys. I know it's surgery and it has its issues... I am realistic.... but I don't want to screw up my life. I'm really getting freaked out!!! Are those messages a sign? I know, a little lame. But that's the state I'm in. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

DONT BE SCARED!!!! sometimes things pop up when we are nervous only because we notice them in our fear! you hve come so far and this is a great life changing experience and gift! remember every story is different and for every negative story there are 100 positive! this surgery will change everything for the better! stay away from the negative posts and remember every one gets nervous!

It is understandable to be nervous, we all are before surgery. Plus, our emotions are going crazy!!

You will be ok. One thing that I kept in mind when I was reading of the issues people had was that they always got better. I have not read of anyone who has had problems and kept having problems. Also, remember that this is major surgery. You won't be the same right away. It will take you a while to heal, you need to give your body time to heal. I didn't have any issues at all with pain or nausea after surgery. I haven't had any problems with not being able to eat....yet, I am only 11 days post op. If I do, I will deal with it and I know it won't last forever. The pros of this surgery far outweigh the cons. I have already lost 23 pounds (this includes my week preop diet). Those 23 pounds have made a huge difference in how I feel already!!:D

I was dehydrated and had to have two bags of fluids yesterday. It wasn't a big deal. I am pretty in tune to my body so I knew what was going on. I saw my PCP and she agreed I was dehydrated and sent me for fluids. I felt so good after and today I feel even better. I haven't even taken a nap and I have been busy all day! I know it may happen again and I'm ok with that.

Hang in there, don't cancel. The reason people get so scared is because of the fear of the unknown. You can do this and you will be happy you did it and before long you will be offering support to those out there who are scared just like you!

Take a deep breath! I did the same thing, but after another couple of days of seriously weighing the risks, I deciided to go thru with it. I had waited way too long to get this done, and I was more more afraid to NOT have the surgery and for my health to continue to decline.

I know it's scary. But the risks of complications are low. And everyone that has complications that I have seen always get better and still don't regret getting sleeved. Dehydration is serious but all you have to do is try to get as much Fluid in as possible and watch your urine color.

Having said that, you have to feel comfortable with your decsion. But I wanted to let you know you are not alone. We all had the last min jitters.

I agree with everyone above- we all freak out right before.... I know I did! It will be ok! You've came to far to give up now!!!! smile.gif

You sound totally like me right before surgery...I was like OK is this a sign about everything lol! Try to stay calm and just pray for peace :)...everyones experience is different some people have pain, some can't drink, some have gas, some don't. Just know you will get through it!!! AND you will be sooooooo happy you did this! I know I totally sound like a BROKEN record but I couldn't walk up the stairs of my own home last year and here I am with a normal BMI and mobile, walking without pain. It's truly a MIRACLE! Take this blessing and run! Hugs!

Samantha, Sarsar, Kelly, Candace, Sleeve 4 me!!!! You are all so sensible. Even if there are issues, they pass!!! I needed that reminder. I feel foolish now, but I knew that if I posted I would get some sensible support. Thank you all so much!!! I will keep all this in mind AND thanks for the reminder to breath!!!! :-) Thank you all again!! I know YOU KNOW how much it means. I hope I get to repay it in the future. I'll keep you all posted.

Do not feel foolish! What you are feeling is real and we all went through it! We are hear to support and help you through your fears. Many people helped me! There is even one member on here that was such a help to me that I now call her Mama Sleeve. She is about the same age as my mom and reminds me of her!

I know of which you speak, "Sister Jewel". :grouphug: My surgery is Monday at 6am!! I, too have read all of the totally frightening posts of late. This is what I have decided todo:I have decided to allow absolutely NO negative speach to come out of my mouth. :tape: No negative speach to reach my ears,:lalala: and no negative writings to reach my eyes.:hand: Is that easy?:nono: No, but try to do so hopefully will keep me totally occupied until Monday morning!!!

I even have decided to drive myself to the hospital,:car: so I won't have any tears of goodbye from my SO. I am a strong woman(I keep reminding myself). I would rather drive myself than endure the words of "just in case"... :cry_smile:

I realize that my plan may not work for you--hell, it may not work for me, but that is my plan and I'm sticking with it!

Please keep in touch.:pray2: We will go hand in hand to the losers' bench.:hug:

Valentina

:grouphug:

Hi guys, I'm really freaked out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Surgery is Monday 7am. Tomorrow I start two days of only clear fluids. I've been on combo of liquid shakes and 4oz lean Protein and cup of vegies for dinner for the past two and a half weeks. I'm hungry and I'm scared!!!! This board is full of good info and great experiences. TODAY there appeared to be a slew of postings of bad experiences: someone that maybe have become dehydrated, someone that can't eat.... Holly Cow!!!! I got in when I got home and read this and called my husband asking him if I should cancel. I don't want to be "sick" guys. I know it's surgery and it has its issues... I am realistic.... but I don't want to screw up my life. I'm really getting freaked out!!! Are those messages a sign? I know, a little lame. But that's the state I'm in. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

AWWWWWWW!!!! You guys are so totally awesome!!!! Valentina, I LOVED your post with all the little animations/emoticons. You made me laugh!!! I really like you philosophy. I won't entertain all that stuff for now. Sarsar! I'll remember and it will be great if I could help someone in the future!!!!

Valentina!!! Best of luck to you as well. I'll be thinking of you Monday!!!!! Our surgeries are about the same time.... I'm on the west coast (California). Loosers bench, here we come!

Thank you again everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! XOXOXOXOXOXXO FOR ALL

I had VSG on 5-17. I was scared before, but I dealt with it by planning:

Dehydration: I set up small shot glasses, a measuring cup, a timer, and a pen and notepad on my kitchen counter before I left for surgery. When I came home, I filled the measuring cup with ice Water, set the timer for 15 minutes, and took the measuring cup, shot glass, and pen and notepad on my nightstand. I drank 1 oz. of Water every 15 minutes while I was awake.

Pain when trying to sleep: I gathered a bunch of pillows and set my bed up to look like the hospital bed (head and shoulders elevated, knees slightly bent up with support underneath.

My worst surprise was diarrhea, but I found many others have it too so I wasn't scared, just inconvenienced.

I will be thinking of you Monday and sending healing thoughts your way!

Lynda

My surgery is Monday morning at 11:45. Even though I'm a man, I also have a lot of emotion and anxiety about this. But I WILL do it. I have to. I'm not going to cut 15 years off my life because I'm too scared to take this small risk of tacking on that 15 years instead. I want to see my great-grandchildren! You can do it! Good luck and see you on the other side!

Totally normal. I briefly considered walking out when I was in pre-op! I've made stupid and expensive decisions in life before and really really hoped this wasn't going to be one of them! So far, so good! It was no big deal to go through after the first 24 hours which kinda sucked. My mantra was "feel the fear and do it anyway"

Hi Guys good luck on your surgery, i have mine on Friday and im freekin out too, my emotions are bad, i get angry with my kids and crying alot. I really want this operation, i know i must be strong.. hope to hear from you all again soon