Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Out of Pocket Poof!

I just paid $17,800 for my sleeve yesterday. I have my surgery at 12 noon on June 13th. Can I get a refund? Boy do I have cold feet! Will I die? And if I do make it, just the thought of not being able to eat an entire pizza freaks me out. What if I don't lose weight? What if my skin sags? What if my sleeve leaks and I get sick? I am sort of grateful that I don't see myself as fat. When I get my picture taken I can't even believe that is me, so once I am sort of skinny or real skinny I will feel normal again. I keep asking myself why am I doing this...I am not that fat. But when I see my picture I am like WHOA I AM A BIG GIRL. I was just in California where every billboard is about the lap band. The lap band has been FDA approved for people who are just 30 pounds overweight. I see this surgery in the future as being almost cosmetic in nature. I wish I were only 30 pounds overweight. I guess I am just running my mouth. Not really sure what to say. Everyone says it is going to be ok on this, but did anyone have a leak? Is anyone suffering right now and in pain? My boyfriend tells me I should just go to the gym. Non-Fat people don't understand what it is like to be fat. It is like the worst. Sure I am a freakin really happy person, but being fat is seriously the worst feeling. Ok. Well June 13th. Twelve Noon. OMG!

I'm June 13th also and I have to be at the hospital at 5:30 in the morning!! I'm excited and nervous but I think that this is a blessing and it's more dangerous being overweight and getting all the diseases that go along with being overweight then the risk of a complication!! :)

Ha ha! Your concerns sound normal and you know the sleeve is WAY BETTER than the lapband! I thought about doing this for over a year and tried to diet that whole year. 4 months after getting the sleeve.......well look at my ticker! You won't care about eating a whole pizza because you'll be pleasantly full after 1/2 slice and too busy feeling and looking great. Seriously I felt like CRAP when I was fat. Congrats on making your surgery plans!

Congratulations on making the commitment and getting a date.

It is scary. This is a complete and total lifestyle change for the vast majority of us - and frankly that is rather frightening. But, you're doing the right thing. You are researching the procedure. You are here in the forums reading and participating (which is very helpful). You are also normal for having the feelings that you do. My best advice is just remember why you have decided to have this surgery. Write it down and post it on the fridge, bathroom mirror, or where ever so you see it every day. It really does help with the second thoughts that you are having.

People have had leaks and have survived. If you should be so unlucky to have one, you will survive as well!

your surgery is the day after my birthday!! just that alone I know you will be a-ok! cool.gif

i think all WLS folks have these worries and questions. i will keep you in my thoughts and think nothing but well wishes. good luck dear!!!

Ok. I haven't read anyone else's replies so I hope I'm not just saying what others are saying. I have my initial appointment with doctor next Tuesday and am paying for this out of pocket. So I think we are pretty close to being in the same boat. So here are my thoughts:

First of all, if it was as easy as going to the gym for us to lose the weight, we'd have done that already. Right?

Second, you aren't thinking one thought that I haven't thought. I'm not scared to die, so my philosophy is: when it's my time, it's my time and there isn't anything I'll be able to do about it. Therefore, the "death" thing doesn't bother me. BUT, I have a cloud that follows me wherever I go. If it's going to happen, it's going to happen to me. I'm terrified that I won't lose any weight. At the Seminar, the doctor gave the average # of pounds that are lost with VSG. He said some people lose more and some don't lose any. That FREAKED ME OUT! BUT, he said that if you don't lose, it's because you've haven't changed your eating habits. Changing my eating habits also freaks me out. I'm not an emotional eater, but I love fattening, tasty foods and I have a HUGE appetite. Like you, I don't see myself as big as I am. I was thin all of my life (until a couple of years ago), so I don't really see the "fat person" until I see myself in pictures. My stepdaughter graduated from high school the other night and I've only seen one pic that was taken of me. I don't think that I look that big in real life, but I could be wrong. I'll catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror or a store window and I realize that I'm bigger than I think I am. But, I still don't consider myself to be "morbidly obese". Since I was thin most of my life, however, I think I'll be able to handle my "new" self. Don't worry about feeling "normal" after losing the weight. You've felt "normal" after gaining weight, right?

3) I worry about the skin, too. My sister-in-law had bypass surgery several years and you would have never known it. She was wearing a two piece the next summer and didn't have ANY loose skin. She's battled her weight all of her life so does that mean I'll have sagging skin because this is a new thing for me? I try to think that maybe my skin hasn't had enough time to stay this stretched out, so hopefully, it won't sag. I'm 37, so I'm also hoping that my age will prevent sagging. They say the key is drinking lots of Water and using a good lotion. Even if we have sagging skin, at least we will be able to cover it up in clothes. At the seminar, a nurse who had the surgery (and has also had several cosmetic surgeries to get rid of loose skin) said that when you have plastic surgery, you trade the skin for scars. She also said that the sagging skin should be last on your list of concerns. But like you, I worry about it too. However, I'd rather have loose skin than to continue being overweight.

4) I'm not worried about a leak. I'm hoping that my doctor is good enough that a) this won't occur or B) if it does, he will know what to do. As a matter of fact, my doctor (who spoke at the seminar) said that it's important to pick a doctor who will know what to do in the event of a complication and how to know if a complication is really a complication.

The bottom line is this: I'll bet that everyone who has had weight loss surgery, or is contemplating surgery, has the same fears. You don't need to do anything you don't want to do or don't feel comfortable doing. So ask yourself this: Is your excess weight causing you problems that have, or will, prevent you from being able to do anything you wanna do. If the answer is "Yes", then I don't think you have anything to lose by having the surgery- except bunches of weight!

I hope I've helped you think about these things. I also hope that I've made you realize that you are not alone with regards to your fears. I have them, but my answer the question above is "Yes". I'm ready for a change so that I won't have anything standing in the way of doing what I want to do- whether that's being confident seeing people from high school (which I avoid now) or having my picture made (which I also avoid if at all possible).

You're in my prayers. Keep me posted.

Meg

I just paid $17,800 for my sleeve yesterday. I have my surgery at 12 noon on June 13th. Can I get a refund? Boy do I have cold feet! Will I die? And if I do make it, just the thought of not being able to eat an entire pizza freaks me out. What if I don't lose weight? What if my skin sags? What if my sleeve leaks and I get sick? I am sort of grateful that I don't see myself as fat. When I get my picture taken I can't even believe that is me, so once I am sort of skinny or real skinny I will feel normal again. I keep asking myself why am I doing this...I am not that fat. But when I see my picture I am like WHOA I AM A BIG GIRL. I was just in California where every billboard is about the lap band. The lap band has been FDA approved for people who are just 30 pounds overweight. I see this surgery in the future as being almost cosmetic in nature. I wish I were only 30 pounds overweight. I guess I am just running my mouth. Not really sure what to say. Everyone says it is going to be ok on this, but did anyone have a leak? Is anyone suffering right now and in pain? My boyfriend tells me I should just go to the gym. Non-Fat people don't understand what it is like to be fat. It is like the worst. Sure I am a freakin really happy person, but being fat is seriously the worst feeling. Ok. Well June 13th. Twelve Noon. OMG!

Great advice...thanks Meg, I like the way you think!!! DC, you will be fine. You are investing in yourself and your future. I am sure you are gonna love it!

Ok. I haven't read anyone else's replies so I hope I'm not just saying what others are saying. I have my initial appointment with doctor next Tuesday and am paying for this out of pocket. So I think we are pretty close to being in the same boat. So here are my thoughts:

First of all, if it was as easy as going to the gym for us to lose the weight, we'd have done that already. Right?

Second, you aren't thinking one thought that I haven't thought. I'm not scared to die, so my philosophy is: when it's my time, it's my time and there isn't anything I'll be able to do about it. Therefore, the "death" thing doesn't bother me. BUT, I have a cloud that follows me wherever I go. If it's going to happen, it's going to happen to me. I'm terrified that I won't lose any weight. At the Seminar, the doctor gave the average # of pounds that are lost with VSG. He said some people lose more and some don't lose any. That FREAKED ME OUT! BUT, he said that if you don't lose, it's because you've haven't changed your eating habits. Changing my eating habits also freaks me out. I'm not an emotional eater, but I love fattening, tasty foods and I have a HUGE appetite. Like you, I don't see myself as big as I am. I was thin all of my life (until a couple of years ago), so I don't really see the "fat person" until I see myself in pictures. My stepdaughter graduated from high school the other night and I've only seen one pic that was taken of me. I don't think that I look that big in real life, but I could be wrong. I'll catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror or a store window and I realize that I'm bigger than I think I am. But, I still don't consider myself to be "morbidly obese". Since I was thin most of my life, however, I think I'll be able to handle my "new" self. Don't worry about feeling "normal" after losing the weight. You've felt "normal" after gaining weight, right?

3) I worry about the skin, too. My sister-in-law had bypass surgery several years and you would have never known it. She was wearing a two piece the next summer and didn't have ANY loose skin. She's battled her weight all of her life so does that mean I'll have sagging skin because this is a new thing for me? I try to think that maybe my skin hasn't had enough time to stay this stretched out, so hopefully, it won't sag. I'm 37, so I'm also hoping that my age will prevent sagging. They say the key is drinking lots of Water and using a good lotion. Even if we have sagging skin, at least we will be able to cover it up in clothes. At the seminar, a nurse who had the surgery (and has also had several cosmetic surgeries to get rid of loose skin) said that when you have plastic surgery, you trade the skin for scars. She also said that the sagging skin should be last on your list of concerns. But like you, I worry about it too. However, I'd rather have loose skin than to continue being overweight.

4) I'm not worried about a leak. I'm hoping that my doctor is good enough that a) this won't occur or B) if it does, he will know what to do. As a matter of fact, my doctor (who spoke at the seminar) said that it's important to pick a doctor who will know what to do in the event of a complication and how to know if a complication is really a complication.

The bottom line is this: I'll bet that everyone who has had weight loss surgery, or is contemplating surgery, has the same fears. You don't need to do anything you don't want to do or don't feel comfortable doing. So ask yourself this: Is your excess weight causing you problems that have, or will, prevent you from being able to do anything you wanna do. If the answer is "Yes", then I don't think you have anything to lose by having the surgery- except bunches of weight!

I hope I've helped you think about these things. I also hope that I've made you realize that you are not alone with regards to your fears. I have them, but my answer the question above is "Yes". I'm ready for a change so that I won't have anything standing in the way of doing what I want to do- whether that's being confident seeing people from high school (which I avoid now) or having my picture made (which I also avoid if at all possible).

You're in my prayers. Keep me posted.

Meg