Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery is next week.. and yesterday I had my final appt with my surgeon to discuss surgery day and any questions I had. I finally broke down, and cried :( Might I add that my surgeon is BEYOND cute... which made it worse! He was discussing surgery day and said that after the operation was over he would go out and talk to my family and friends and let everyone know how it went. . . only my family is back East, and I dont have that many friends who actually offered to be there waiting :( It really just makes me sad.. I never thought about that part I guess. I feel like im going at this alone..and it sucks.

Im also a little worried about remembering ALL THESE RULES after surgery .. I feel like Im going to have to keep my info packet next me so I can read what Im supposed to do everyday. Does this part get easier as days go by??

Also .. i have been thinking about all the foods that are no longer going to be in my diet. Am i NEVER going to be able to have a slice of pizza again? or a burger? I kinda thought that maybe eventually i could have these things, but of course extremely smaller amounts, way less often.

Any input is appreciated :)

I'm sorry you don't have your family there, but you have us!! We're your Sleeve sisters...and brothers!! We will be with you in spirit and waiting to hear how it went.

The rules can be overwhelming but most important is getting liquids in and staying hydrated. Then you'll start adding Protein as you can. And yes eventually we'll be able to eat pizza. It may take a while to eat a whole slice crust and all. But the weight loss totally makes up for it!!

:)

The pre-surgery nerves are completely normal. This is a big deal and there is some anxiety you will feel. I think I stressed out about the rules for the first 2 weeks. Mostly because it was so restrictive and I was so bored and feeling kind of bad. I re-read my packet over and over again just so I could try and focus on getting better. Get a calendar and mark the days you can move from one food group to another before you go for surgery. It will take some of the guesswork out when you get home. Also, stock your pantry with the essentials (Protein drinks, various broths, etc).

As far as the future, yes you will be able to eat pretty much whatever you want, but in small qualtities. Also, your taste buds will change and some of your favorites may not be appetizing to you at all. For me, sweets are pretty much out of the question. Looks good on the plate, but is too sickly sweet and can cause stomach ache. But at this point, I don't miss it.

It's an emotional journey - you can do it!

Awww,,, Sometimes a good cry makes things better! Hang in there it totally gets overwhelming... really... up until the day of surgery you may still be wondering if this is the right thing, it is.. and it will be fine, you will be fine....... Keep in mind the first couple of weeks may be tough - you are having surgery.. as with any surgery you are going to be sore, you are going to be weak or tired... its o.k.. your body will be in the healing phase and each day you will get better. The kicker is 4-6 weeks after surgery when you have to go down a size in clothing... oh yea,,, it makes it all worth it!!!

Read, read, read --- anything and everything about sleeve surgery and protien foods, etc.. it really helped me so much being prepared for what to expect and what to have in the house for when I came home... sugar free popcycles were my savior the first two weeks after surgery, kept my hands busy and gave me something to eat and its liquid!!!

I ate pizza for the first time about 3 weeks ago... wow... it was totally awesome! I could only eat one slice but it was so worth it!!!

Hang tough, keep on the forumn and ask questions... good luck...

We are here for you...... we are your sleeve family. We are unique and brave peeps. We care what happens to you so please update us as soon as possible after surgery.

Girl... I am nine months out and guess what? I can eat a whole thin slice of pizza Hut pizza and be totally satisfied with one slice. WOO HOO!!!!

((((((HUGS)))))

Deb B)

Hi Tamz, I just looked to see where Frisco, Texas is to see if I could go with you to surgery but darn sweetie...you are too far away from Austin! :( I totally agree with the posters that you have all of us and there is always someone available day or night on this forum who will answer your questions or offer support. Many folks on here go to Mexico and have the surgery totally alone. I am in awe of their courage in traveling to another country where they may not speak the language to have surgery alone. At least you will have cutie pie doctor looking out for you! :DB)

You will be able to eat all of your favorite foods in the future but you won't be held hostage by them! You will be able to have a couple of bites and feel satisfied and that is amazing and wonderful. Good luck... I will send you good healing thoughts on the day of your surgery.

Aww honey, I know exactly how you feel!!! I too am from another state and don't have anyone here but my husband! It is really hard sometimes.

People on this forum know what we are going thru and although it is not the same as a parent or close sibling, they really do care!

I will be more than happy to lend an ear if you need a friend! Email me anytime! :)

I am a few days away from being a month out and know how you feel about the never being able to eat thing! I can barely eat now! I have heard that it gets better and that eventually we can have pizza and cheeseburger's again, just not a whole pizza and big ass cheeseburger's!! LOL

Hugs,

Kelly

Don't feel bad. Of course you're scared! But you'll be just fine. Everything you feel is totally normal. I am not a crier at all, and even I broke down several times before the big day.

I think you're so normal in your thinking about all of this. Just press on. I'm almost 8 weeks out and nothing is off-limits to eat or enjoy. Just a smaller amount. I thought I had to have something gooey about 5 days out and my surgeon said to go ahead and try mac and cheese if I craved it. Well, one bite and that was that. You can have anything in time and I promise you'll get used to the small amounts. Your food bill will be so much less! I did it alone. I had friends take me to the hospital and pick me up. One stayed a night at home but I didn't need her at all. You're doing this for yourself and just think of it as a private event that you'll have peace and quiet to recover from. You have a bazillion friends on the site and we'd be there if we could. I'm in TN and don't travel a lot. So sorry! Have the cute surgeon hold your hand, you silly woman! You'll be fine. I just know it. It's SO FANTASTIC TO REAP THE REWARDS!~ giant clothes out the door. BP meds GONE. In a few weeks you'll be so proud of yourself. I'll be thinking of you and wishing all good things for you!

My surgery is next week.. and yesterday I had my final appt with my surgeon to discuss surgery day and any questions I had. I finally broke down, and cried :( Might I add that my surgeon is BEYOND cute... which made it worse! He was discussing surgery day and said that after the operation was over he would go out and talk to my family and friends and let everyone know how it went. . . only my family is back East, and I dont have that many friends who actually offered to be there waiting :( It really just makes me sad.. I never thought about that part I guess. I feel like im going at this alone..and it sucks.

Im also a little worried about remembering ALL THESE RULES after surgery .. I feel like Im going to have to keep my info packet next me so I can read what Im supposed to do everyday. Does this part get easier as days go by??

Also .. i have been thinking about all the foods that are no longer going to be in my diet. Am i NEVER going to be able to have a slice of pizza again? or a burger? I kinda thought that maybe eventually i could have these things, but of course extremely smaller amounts, way less often.

Awww...I'm sorry you have to go alone but you can do it! I would come to the hospital to be with you if I didn't live in WI! You will be ok and the nurses will be there to take good care of you. You will be tired after surgery so you will be sleeping a bunch anyway.

I, too, felt overwhelmed with the amount of info I needed to learn. I am getting better now that I am 10 days out. You get used to things and figure out what you can have and when you can have it. A lot of it has to do with how your new sleeve feels. You'll get the hang of it.

If you have a laptop to take with you to the hospital you can talk us while you are there.:D

You'll be able to eat almost all of your favorite foods again, eventually (not at first, of course). Just much more slowly, and in much smaller quantities. If you're like me, you may eventually find that some foods -- especially, for me, doughy, bready foods -- that you used to love just don't seem as appealing to you. These days I find myself most interested in dense Protein and vegetables. If you'd told me a year ago that I'd be passing up a dish of Pasta for a steak and some veggies, I would have called you insane, but that's me today! Of course, I CAN eat the pizza and Pasta if I want to, but... I usually don't want to!

As to not having anyone there... well, *HUG* from a guy all the way across the country. All I can say is -- you're doing the right thing for YOU. And if you don't have as many friends and family around you as you'd prefer right now, just keep at it -- things will change, and if you keep doing the right things, life gets a WHOLE lot better post-sleeve!

What day is your surgery? Who's your Doctor?

I scaned my packet and put it on my ipad so I'll have it with me at all times,because I know I'll forget....LOL

As far as friends sometimes we have to ask for them to be there with us.

My surgey was May 24,2011 at noon at Saint David's in Austin,Texas

Hey Tamz - I live right by Frisco TX - email me at mmcsorley@hotmail.com - I was sleeved at Baylor Hospital Plano on May 9th - and am doing great - I would be more the happy to help you out as much as I can :)

It's totally normal feeling this way. Don't get in the mindset of what you WON'T have Think of what you will have!!!!

FYI---I went out today and ordered a personal pizza...except I asked for it made on a wheat wrap with broccoli!! Ate 1/2

----I have had a burger....but without the bread.< /p>

Your life will be great...Food will not longer be the main focus!!!:rolleyes:

Hey Tamz,

I am in Frisco too. I would absolutely be there for you! Just let me know when and where and I'm there! :=)