Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Musings from Baltimore on my WLS and ongoing journey

Hi everyone,

It has been a bit over a week since my surgery on the 23rd and tiredness is setting in big time now. Maybe its hormones, maybe its the tiny amount of food that I am getting in - compounded by the two week pre-op plus this week and two days? I don't know - ugh. Its hard to be motivated to try and do the research about how I am now going to eat from this point forward PLUS do so soul searching and take this time to really figure out how I got so addicted to food to begin with.

I spent a lot of today going through this forum, doing web searches etc and I found some books that I ordered online and some I requested at the local library on adjustments after WLS and also cooking after WLS. I got the usual suspects found on the lists here at VST but I am also thinking of getting the following books or at least checking them out from the library:

1. TheEverything Post Weight Loss Surgery Cookbook - Jennifer Whitlock Heisler, RN

2. TheBiggest Loser Family Cookbook

3. The High Protein Cookbook

4.Cookin For Weight Loss Surgery Patients - By d**k Stucki "The UltimateGourmet"

5. Extraordinary Taste - Shannon Owens-Malett, MS,RD, LD

I think I got some of these from a list online here that I found. Here are the ones I just bought or am checking out from the library:

Exodus from Obesity... by Paula Peck

Before and After Living and Eating Well after WLS by Susan Maria Leach

Eating Well After WLS by Patti Levine

recipes for Life After WLS by Margaret Furtado

I am a big reader so I don't mind trying to read as much of these as possible and to learn as much as possible.

I also found this website for recipes: WLS Journey Recipe Central = dinner. I love the idea of the bites Michelle has on this page. Seems like they would fill my mental cravings in a nice healthy way!

So, from what I can tell with all my research thus far, I think if I try to stick to as much low carb and low fat as possible, I should be okay in the future. I would love to hear from the rest of you on what you have found really helpful in whatever format, meetings, books, web, etc.

Take care!

Becky

BTW I lost 10 pounds my first week. I am so psyched! I couldn't resist weighing myself on Monday. it was a good surprise! 68 pounds from the beginning of my 6 month pre-op to this first week. I am proud of myself but also know I need to keep up what I have began to keep losing and keep the weight off in the future. I need all of your support to do so!

Hi Becky,

Congratulations on your first week loss!!!

I wanted to comment on how wonderful I feel your post is! I too read, read, read, anything and everything I could get my hands on about WLS... It totally helped me become prepared for my new life! I have not ventured out to the WLS cookbook yet as I am still careful on what I will eat or not eat, most of the recipes I have seen so far have more carbs than I choose to eat right now, maybe once I am further down the line on the loser's bench.

Let us know what cooks books or recipes stand out!

Good luck on your journey...

Hi there-

I was dead-tired EXHAUSTED for about 6 to 8 weeks after surgery. Some people spring out of surgery and have tons of energy - I was not one of them. After the 2 month mark I felt about 75% to 80%. Today I can say that my energy is back, but I haven't done much in the way of exercise and I get winded and muscle fatigue if I push too hard. The first couple of weeks are physically and mentally exhausting - don't push yourself too hard.

You'll find that the food anxiety is not so bad after about 2 months because you can eat whatever you want, just in small quantities. You will also have a better understanding of which foods you like (your tastebuds will change) and this will make you more comfortable.

Hang in there - you're doing great!

A really great recipe book is eating for life( and the workout journal you can buy too called body for life) I do the workouts ( I'm getting SO much stronger) and the recipes in the cookbook are high Protein and lower carbs ( the tortilla pizzas are fab)

I too got really tired early out. Check your Protein and try and up it. Add unflavoured protein to yogurt or Pasta sauce. Add chicken powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury to Soups and sauces. Anything to get it up. I felt better in a couple days after that.

Oh and vitamix's website has great Soups and such too. Adding tofu and such ( which I never thought I'd like) but gives you a great Protein count ; )

Thanks for all of your responses. I think I am too hard on myself sometimes. I definitely want to do as much as I can while I am off work to figure out as much as I can but I will only be in purees when I go back. My boss seems like he is willing to be flexible when I get back so I can leave early or come in late once I come back. I'm taking off a month (June 20th is my first day back) so I am going to try not to do that unless I absolutely need it. In my head and logically, I knew I needed as much time as I could get to get used to eating and get my strength back. Knowing it logically and really feeling that I am more tired than usual is another story. I think I'm superwoman sometimes. I am grateful to my work for giving me the time I need (albeit on disability) but it is weird not being there. I think they are also really getting an idea of what my job is like now from speaking to one of my friends there. Oh well, now is the time for me so I need to do what I can to set myself up for success now. I would love any advice from any of you on what you have learned!

SavedURI :

Show URL

SavedURI :

Hide URL

Thanks so much for the book titles!

One thing I want to ask is what you are allowed right now? My first week I was on Clear liquids plus Protein drinks and though I got my 80 grams of Protein faithfully I was only getting about 3 carbs a day and I was so wiped out I could barely speak! My nutritionist said I should be on THIN liquids- and as soon as I added Soup thinned with milk, yogurt thinned with milk, etc. and raised my carbs up to 40 or so my energy level got much better! This week, three weeks for me, I have added pureed food and feel human for the first time- have been able to start working out, etc.

Also make sure yo are getting your fluids- it is easy to get dehydrated and that will also wipe you out.

Good luck!!!