Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wow. I didn't even know there was a Man forum for this. Nice!!

My name is Courtney. I am in Las Vegas prepping in my six-month pre-surg phase. I am 6'3'' and 425lb. At 36 I decided to finally do something about my size. I want to go out. Buy off the rack (ugh) just a few times. And as strange as this sounds, get on a plane and be able to sit in ANY seat. No extender for the belt and NO "spilling over" into adjacent seats.

Is that too much?

I already did base jumping but want to add sky surfing to my resume as well as para-sailing.

My goal weight is around 220lb or so. By the time I get "Sleeved" I want to be 400lb or less.

Well, I'm two inches shorter than you and was 100 lbs less than you, and I was able to lose 100 lbs -- and I'm still going, although it's slowed way, way down. So I think you should be able to EASILY get into the mid 200's.

And no, wanting to live a more "normal" life is not at all asking too much. I'm STILL amazed that I fit in plane seats/theater seats (although since I'm still broad shouldered, that's still a problem; if you're built similarly, you may have similar issues!) and buy clothes from "normal" stores (IE, I don't have to make a beeline for the "big and tall" section these days, I just wear normal L/XL clothes).

It's a really nice feeling, and it is a HUGE psychological shift. I actually found that I had a brief phase of panic, because I got so used to thinking of myself as a really "big guy" that losing 100 lbs made me question that. Now I know that I'm still a "big guy" but that these days "big" doesn't necessarily mean "grossly obese!" It's a GOOD thing...

Thanks man! I am broad shouldered as well. I still want to be a big guy just not a BIG guy, know what I mean? I never wanted to be skinny, per se.

Consequently, I am not so much concerned with BMI as I am bodyfat percentage. So if I end up at 230-240lb that's fine. According to the BMI charts I'd be obese. But if my bodyfat percentage was 15% I'd be just fine..

Wow. I didn't even know there was a Man forum for this. Nice!!

My name is Courtney. I am in Las Vegas prepping in my six-month pre-surg phase. I am 6'3'' and 425lb. At 36 I decided to finally do something about my size. I want to go out. Buy off the rack (ugh) just a few times. And as strange as this sounds, get on a plane and be able to sit in ANY seat. No extender for the belt and NO "spilling over" into adjacent seats.

Is that too much?

I already did base jumping but want to add sky surfing to my resume as well as para-sailing.

My goal weight is around 220lb or so. By the time I get "Sleeved" I want to be 400lb or less.

Welcome brother. You are on the right path for sure. I am 6'2" and was 497 lb the day of my operation in November of last year (no pre op diet). I've lost over 150 pounds already. While I still have a long way to go, my quality of life is already much better. I had flown a month ago, and while I may still be spilling into the next seat I didnt need an extender. I was completely shocked as this was the first time in 8 or 10 years that I had not needed one!! There will be small victories like this very day. Good luck.

Welcome Courtney,

I had my surgery just about 11 months ago (7/13/2010) and have lost 120 pounds to date. I'd like to lose another 5 pounds or so, but I am not sweating it. Without a doubt, the decision to have this surgery was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

I was 300 pounds at my heaviest and when I got on the scale this morning I weighed 178.4

I've gone from a size 54 suit to a size 42.

From size 44 pants to size 34

From XXL shirt to a Large or Medium

From a 19 inch neck to size 16 or 16 1/2

I hear what you say about shopping, but I have to say, it is a real challenge now. I used to know that I should just basically buy the biggest size that they had -- didn't have to try anything on. Now I have to try everyhting on because I have no idea what size I am for a particular manufacturer. Not a bad problem to have and a really great feeling.

I also can't believe how much more comfortable I am when flying or taking any public transportation. At 300 pounds, I was finding planes and trains to be a real challenge.

WIshing you the best of luck on your journey. You will not regret doing this.

Brian

I'll jump in here also. I fly nearly every week and I used to carry both types of seat beat extenders with me. At 6'4", 407 lbs, I was the person nobody wanted to sit next to when they got on the plane. The first time I got into a seat without having to use a seat extender was like heaven. I consider that one of the best benefits of WLS. I've lost 116 in first four months on my way down to the next 100 lbs lost and while I'm not thin, people don't dread sitting next me on the plane either. These are the small victories that make it worthwhile.

By the way, I'm also in the area (Henderson). :rolleyes:

I'll jump in here also. I fly nearly every week and I used to carry both types of seat beat extenders with me. At 6'4", 407 lbs, I was the person nobody wanted to sit next to when they got on the plane. The first time I got into a seat without having to use a seat extender was like heaven. I consider that one of the best benefits of WLS. I've lost 116 in first four months on my way down to the next 100 lbs lost and while I'm not thin, people don't dread sitting next me on the plane either. These are the small victories that make it worthwhile.

By the way, I'm also in the area (Henderson). :rolleyes:

Las Vegas here too. I am only a couple of weeks out and thanks to the pre-op diet down almost 45 pounds. Went to a play last night with the wife and fit into the seat. These are the things that mean more than the pounds on the scale. Just bought a shirt in the regular guy department too.

Hey all, new to the forum and really enjoying reading about everyone's journey and getting some great answers to questions. I am 41 years old, 5' 9 & 325.... Ugggghhhh... I've started this journey before a few years back, only to back out and thiink I can do it on my own and that got me no where... So, this is it, I'm ready to do this, Finally!!!

Went to my first seminar a few weeks back & my doctors appointment is next week. Can't wait! Even got all my medical records ready so there are no hold ups on that end..... :D

Very Excited!!

Randy

I am 6ft 3 and 430 lbs. I am set for surgery on april the 10th. I talked with a friend today who told me that he was happy with his weight loss surgery. He states that he hates the fact that he can't overeat but that it is more than worth it. I am excited.

Guys, lemme say, if you're significantly overweight like I was, you're going to be THRILLED with the results. Your only regret will be not doing this sooner!

Guys I am new to this all as well. I will be getting sleeved by Dr. A in Mexicali on April 12th. I think a lot of us are in the same boat (or were) at some point. I'm 6'-2" and 340 and I have a wide frame.

Honestly one of the things I look most forward to is being able to walk into a restaurant and not have to say "table" when they ask if I want a booth! You know when u walk in and your glancing at the booths to see if u can actually stuff yourself in it?

Well I'm not as big a guy as you all but I was 6' even and weighed 375 pounds. I'm down to spitting distance of 200 pounds and that may be my final weight. I carry it well and look pretty slim for that weight. I've yet to fly with my new weight.but I know theater seats and restaurant booths are now no longer an issue, neither is the steering wheel of any car digging into by gut.

This last weekend I was walking around our outdoor mall and kept catching glimpses of my reflection in the shop windows and a few times thought "I wonder who the skinny dude is that keeps following me . . . oh wait THAT'S ME!" I used to cringe at the reflection of myself in any mirror or window.

It's been a fantastic journey and provided me with fabulous results. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, but am thankfull I never will have to again.

Rootman, I'm with you. I fly nearly every week and when I see a larger person coming down the isle, I think "that was me a year ago". I have a lot more empathy for larger people though. At 6'4" and also within "spitting" distance of 200 lbs, my latest NSV was putting on 32 inch waist pants, something I hadn't done since my wife and I were married 35 years ago. It's a fantastic journey and I'm going to make sure that it will never happen to me again.