Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok .. I know I am like a broken record.. but is cheating going to completely ruin my pre op diet?? I still have 10 days left before surgery and i am going to be SUPER STRICT.

I am on a no meat, low fat diet for liver shrinkage...... with Protein Shakes to fill in for the no meat. I caved and ate potato salad and baked means.. and some bread. .and some fat free frozen yogurt. i know i know.. i have posted this already but I am so worried its ridiculous.

Has anyone else cheated and turned out to be fine?

Ok .. I know I am like a broken record.. but is cheating going to completely ruin my pre op diet?? I still have 10 days left before surgery and i am going to be SUPER STRICT.

I am on a no meat, low fat diet for liver shrinkage...... with Protein shakes to fill in for the no meat. I caved and ate potato salad and baked means.. and some bread. .and some fat free frozen yogurt. i know i know.. i have posted this already but I am so worried its ridiculous.

Has anyone else cheated and turned out to be fine?

It's ok you still have time to do the diet, you'll be fine!

Yes, you will be fine. Just do the best you can. I was supposed to be on a 4 shake a day / 1 Protein Bar for 7 days before my surgery. I replaced the Protein bar with meat and veggies, tried to keep it low fat. I felt that I could cheat though because I knew that my liver was not fatty or big ( I am a sonographer and I scanned myself). I was SO hungry during my pre op that I pretty much reasoned that if I didn't do some controlled cheating that I was going to go crazy and binge (and I'm not really a binge eater but the pre op was about to push me over the edge). Let me tell you, the liquid diet on the other side of surgery is SO much easier. You are going to make it. Just remember, you are trying to put the odds in your favor for a successful surgery so don't over do it.

I have been so worried about the same thing. I just got back on track the next day and hoping for the best. My surgery is Thursday!

Not to break your balls but you don't want to get prepped for surgery, they get in there and find your liver is too fatty to continue, sew you up and send you home. It's happened, I've read about it. So get your ass in gear, I know it's hard ....no no...it's HARD but listen you are climbing the stairs where at the top you will see the most beautiful view you have ever seen. One step at a time, one lousy drink at a time. Do it! You can!

No need on focusing on what you can't change, but just try really hard to stick with it. We don't know your drs policy on what he will do if you cheat and/or your liver is not shrinked. Even if he goes ahead and does your sleeve, you are putting yourself at risk for a liver nick or laceration. I know it's hard. Pre-op is worse than post op. But do what you need to do to be safe during surgery. You're worth it!!

My problem is I dont know what specifically i can and cant eat........... the dr said low fat, no meat.. and to drink 40-80 grams of Protein a day.

So what does this mean.. i know i cant have meat, and obviously no sweets and burgers and the obvious fat foods....

but what about a bite of pizza? a few spoons of Pasta salad... baked potato? wheat toast with fat free cream cheese.....?

this is the thing im not understanding... ugh. am i just supposed to be eating less fat then normal so that my liver shrinks? they made it sound like meat was going to be what caused my liver to enlarge.

I will tell you I was able ot eat whatever and keep my carbs under 30. I believe that putting your body into ketosis is the fastest way to shirnk your liver. Doesn't sound like your Surgeon is giving you a lot of guidelines, I'd call and get clarification or do a very low carb diet.

I was assigned 5 shakes or Protein bars per day plus one meal of 5 oz lean meat (nothing fried) and two cups of veggies (with no added fats or sugars).

The low fat, no meat diet is a little off kilter for shrinking the liver though. It is carbohydrates that cause the liver to fatten up, as it gets converted to glycogen and lives in the liver until you burn it off. Keep carbs low, Protein high (your doctor's recommendation for grams is good) and you will be just fine. A small amount of lean chicken, fish, pork is unlikely to hamper your efforts, but things like Beans and potatoes etc will trigger cravings and make sticking to this hard. It is kind of a detox - once you get the the glycogen burned out of your liver (usually takes three days if doing less than 20-30 grams of carbs per day).