Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help, please! Chewable Multi Vitamins are making me sick!

Hi, your topic really caught my attention. I also bought Bariatric Advantage multi-Vitamins and I hate them! Although I have not thrown up. (I had my VSG on 6/6/11) I bought the French vanilla flavor and they are strong tasting and melt like sand in your mouth. I am forcing myself to get them down. But I was thinking of crushing them and adding them to my Protein shakes since they are vanilla flavored...do you think that's an option for you? I also bought their Calcium tablets and hate them even more...I have to admit I haven't taken them in a few days. Ugh! I feel for you, but hang in there and see if your dietician can help you out. I am going to start trying liquid and chewy forms of supplements next, the chalk and sand are too yucky!!

I'd really recommend trying the BA advantage Chewy bites. They come in lemon, caramel and chocolate. I'm not a chocolate person but the big surprise for me was that post surgery lemon is the flavor I love. Did not like lemon at all before surgery. 60 chews are only about $10 to 12 dollars so you are not out a lot if you don't like them. I find them very appealing. The thing is, I didn't understand how important the calcium was and wasn't getting enough in the first 2 weeks and between that and not getting the amount of Water I was used to (not dehydrated but just not as much as I was used to) I started having terrible morning cramps. Charley horses that shot me out of bed each morning. As soon as I got about 1 more cup of Water and my 3 chews a day, the cramps stopped. It's really important. Not recommending buying here, just found them at this site to show you what I was talking about.

http://www.dietdirect.com/chewable-calcium-citrate-244.html

Oh, and I hated the BA Vitamins also. I wish I'd found them before my surgery. Bulemia might have saved me thosands and surgery. (really, just kidding. kinda) Can't figure out why in the world so many programs use them instead of giving options. Just based on flavors alone, I know I'd hated BA. They gave me orange. Nasty, just nasty.

Wow.. ok I thought I was going through this alone or that I was the odd ball. I had my VSG on 6/6/11 - like many of you - and cannot stomach the BA multi vites. I don't even bother with the Calcium ones anymore because they are HUGE and cause a nasty foam and acid reaction. Not good! I would love to do gummies. I didn't think to ask about it today at my one week post op visit... bummer.

Good convo though!

I have been on the gummies for the Multi-Vitamin and the Calcium a few weeks now, and I just got my blood drawn for a full Vitamin levels evaluation. I will post my results in a couple weeks soon as I get them. So far I take them everyday and love them. As long as my vitamin levels come back fine I am not gonna stress about this whole "not equal to other vitamins" stuff.

I haven't had surgery yet but I went to the Celebrate Vitamins website and ordered the free sample. They will send you like 10-15 samples in different flavors. I ordered the multi-complete (which has iron) and Calcium Sunday night and the package was here yesterday. I like the fact I only have to take 2 of the Multi Vitamins a day and then the calcium. Alternating 2 hour intervals.

Hello Foxgirl, wondering how your Vitamin levels went :) Curious if the Gummy Vitamins are high enough for us :)

I have been on the gummies for the Multi-Vitamin and the Calcium a few weeks now, and I just got my blood drawn for a full Vitamin levels evaluation. I will post my results in a couple weeks soon as I get them. So far I take them everyday and love them. As long as my vitamin levels come back fine I am not gonna stress about this whole "not equal to other vitamins" stuff.

I bought the Celebrate ones also and I vomit. can't take them anymore. My nut suggested Flintstone chewables. I guess I'll try that this weekend. Would love a small Vitamin pill to swallow.

I bought the Celebrate ones also and I vomit. can't take them anymore. My nut suggested Flintstone chewables. I guess I'll try that this weekend. Would love a small Vitamin pill to swallow.

My nut told me to take 2 Flintstones complete every day. I don't love them, but I can tolerate them. I can't imagine ever being able to swallow a huge vitamin/calcium citrate pill again, but I'm hoping I will be able to do so. My information packet said I can take them at 6 weeks post op...but I wonder if I will really be able to.

What every you do, be sure to compare ingredients! If you use gummies you will need more than the label says. Get what you can in!

My nut told me to take 2 Flintstones complete every day. I don't love them, but I can tolerate them. I can't imagine ever being able to swallow a huge vitamin/calcium citrate pill again, but I'm hoping I will be able to do so. My information packet said I can take them at 6 weeks post op...but I wonder if I will really be able to.

Hiya m3c2001 -- I was taking giant horse pills and Vitamins since two weeks post-op. I have no problems to swallow the citracal pills or the gigantic anti-gallstones tablets at all. I am back to taking my Vitamins and pills by the handful instead of one at a time. But in the meantime, I also used the effervescent vitamins -- that look/fizz like an Alka Seltzer? Can you get those kinds of vitamins in the States? Once they dissolve, the fizz is gone, then it's just a glass of Water with a bit of flavoring and it goes down pretty easy. Plus it counts as a glass of Water.

Good luck! :)

Sorry it took so long to get back to you!! My Vitamin levels all came back great! With the exception of Vitamin D, which did not shock me considering that is the Vitamin I have the hardest time taking and have been only taking two a day (as the package recommends) and need to really be taking four! But there were not at risky or worrisome levels, just needed to be aware and increase my intake. I still take all the Target chewables each day, except I still have some Iron left over from BA, but son as those are gone I will be picking some up at Walmart or GNC. I just got some great chewable Biotin from Walmart that tastes great and fairly cheap. I wish I could tolerate the Calcium and Vitamin D chews better, but I still take them daily and just need to suck it up and take 4 a day. Also, I do double the Multi-Vitamin each day which ensures I am getting the right amount of Vitamins since I still only eat about 800 calories a day.

Hello Foxgirl, wondering how your vitamin levels went :) Curious if the gummy vitamins are high enough for us :)

BA made me vomit too....what is weird is the berry flavor of Iron goes down ok but the multi makes me puke????The sublinqual B12 ok too. I went to the Vitamin store and got a pinapple chewable that I like (they will let you taste some there which helped!) Asked my doc to look and he said they were great.

Still doing the chewable Viactive Calcium but have seen others post not as good of source of calcium....from googling it still on fence. Will ask dr. next visit. Loosing ok and labs look good so wondering if he will care.

Centrum VitaCraves are the first Multivitamins that I've been able to take that cause me absolutely no issues. Bariatric Advantage and Celebrate Vitamins make me throw up.