Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op hunger pangs

Hi friends, I'm having my sleeve done on June 1, and I'm going on my third day of the pre-op diet. I'm just curious if a doctor is asking me to go on a low carb pre-op diet, how come I can't have a piece of chicken or steak (low carb too). Why only liquids?

I'm starving. Does this get any better?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Every doctor is different, but my Dr. had me go low carb, but not liquids only. Not really sure why they are all different, though. I lost 10 pounds in a week on mine. The only thing I can think of is some doctors might be using the logic that they are getting you ready for the brutal post-op liquid diet.

Hang in there!smile.gif

yes every surgeon is different cos i only had to go on liquid diet day before surgery! Hope it works out cos it was torture for me that one day!

Just as every Dr is different so is the patient. I was on a 2 week pre-op that consisted of 2 Protein shakes a day with one sensible meal in between with a snack. I lost 17 pounds in that 2 weeks and the surgery was success.Sure I cheated, I had the closeted Slim-Jim rendezvous, a cheese-doodle here or there and even a trip to Subway but it worked. I have realized that the first cheese doodle tasted as good and the same as the 100th, so just dig all the way to the bottom and grab that "last" one. I went home from the hospital the next day and I'm on day 5 of the post-op liquid diet and feeling great. The easier you make it on yourself pre-op I believe is what makes it even easier post-op.

Suggestions are exercise, reading, writing and all around just staying busy. Find a good movie channel that doesn't have commercials. Stay focused on the game plan and come to realize that there is a reason you are taking on this life changing task.

If it's a mind set that this is "torture", then a new mind set is needed. Call your physc evaluator or Dr's advocate. It's food and eating style that made it "torture" to live in the skin you are trying to shed. It's one or the other and the other is what we are shooting for.

Day 5 and I'm still on a routine. Up at 6 a.m., meds and supps. Protein Drink. Walk the dog on the golf course before the "hackers" show up and then the gym for a lite romp on the treadmill. Taking all this FREE time to organize life when life didn't allow me the time. I can now see into my closets, my desk actually does have a wood top to it and the dust bunnies have all been laid to rest.

You can do it, we all can do it. That's why there is this community of support and not just one "Peggy" type person on the other end of a support phone. One mindset would bring this place down quicker than the waistlines of those who have discovered just how rewarding the weight loss is.

Call some dear old friends, family members and have them dig up some old pictures they may have from parties, family reunions, ones from your 'healthy" years. I have them plastered on my bulletin board, some from only 10 short years back and can't believe what I have seen. It's all good.

Hang in, Hang on and grab a Lands Ends catalog, L.L Bean, Vicky Secret (i only read it for the articles) and plan ahead instead of looking back.

Have a blessed day.

ButterCup

I'm so sorry you are having a hard time with the pre-op diet. The theory behind the pre-op diet is to reduce the fatty deposits around your liver so it is less likely to accidentally get nicked during the surgery (it's easier for the surgeon to keep it out of the way if it's not covered with slippery fat).

I know others have had solid food up to the day before surgery because their doctor didn't tell them to use only liquids. I'm no expert, and probably will give the wrong advice here, but I would say go ahead and have a small amount of grilled chicken - if that will help satisfy your hunger. Just make sure that you chew, chew, chew it and don't "pig out" on it. Or try something like Jello (it's generally on the Clear Liquids list after surgery) to see if that would help.

Thanks guys, I feel much better after reading the responses. This forum and the people in it are wonderful. I'm so glad to have found this. And also making new friends here !

Thanks guys, I feel much better after reading the responses. This forum and the people in it are wonderful. I'm so glad to have found this. And also making new friends here !

It is a great place, no ball pit but still a great place. Don't be afraid to ask a question or bring up a thought because your question, is probably someone else's question that doesn't get asked.

ButterCup