Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where's all the Alabama bandsters?

Hi Cheryl! Congratulations on your upcoming surgery. I know you must be excited! I live in Birmingham, so I can't really recommend a surgeon or fill center near you. But, I hope that you get this arranged before your surgery. I've read a lot of posts from people who really struggle to find someone to provide good aftercare. You need to think about not only who will do your fills, but who you will see if your have a complication. If you have to travel a long distance, you're more likely to live with a band that doesn't provide enough restriction, or you might be tempted to try to tough it out when if you're overfilled. Neither makes good use of the band, and being overfilled is one of the primary causes of band complications such as dilated pouch or slipped band.

I hope you can find someone close by who can provide good quality after care. Good luck with your surgery!

Tami

Hello, I am from Tuscumbia and I am thinking about lap band. I may decide to go to Vanderbilt in Nashville. It is about the same distance as B'ham. My question is how hungry do you really get after lap band. I get ravenously hungry now and I wonder if I will continue to get this hungry. I noted in the previous messages, this question is often asked but never really answered. Thanks

mamadi, I still get hungry, but not as hungry as pre-band. Some docs will tell you to only eat three meals a day. But, I eat 5-6 times a day, small meals or Snacks, and since I eat every 2-3 hours, I certainly don't suffer from too many hunger pangs!

Tami

Hey Mamadi I'm really close to you. I live in Cherokee. I researched dr's for several months before choosing mine. I decided to go to Birmingham to Advanced Surgeons. Dr Touliatis. There are also some in the Decatur area but I was more familiar with Bham and felt I would be able to get there quicker if needed. Do you go to Bham, Huntsville or Nashville very often? I hope living a distance away doesn't turn out to be a problem. I personally am NOT planning on going to HK or ECM if I have a problem so I also focused more on Bham since I was comfortable with that drive. And as for your original question about hunger, I will let you know after I have my surgery 2-19. Feel free to email me.

I had my surgery in Decatur 3/29/07 by Dr. Adams. He no longer does the surgery, but my husband is going through the approval process with Dr. Suggs in Decatur. He really likes him. My surgery was performed at Decatur General but his will be at Parkway Medical Center in Decatur. They are both great hospitals. I don't regret getting the surgery done even for one minute. I only have about 20 pounds to get to goal. I wish I could get there by my bandiversary but that may be too ambitious on my part.

I had my surgery in Decatur 3/29/07 by Dr. Adams. He no longer does the surgery, but my husband is going through the approval process with Dr. Suggs in Decatur. He really likes him. My surgery was performed at Decatur General but his will be at Parkway Medical Center in Decatur. They are both great hospitals. I don't regret getting the surgery done even for one minute. I only have about 20 pounds to get to goal. I wish I could get there by my bandiversary but that may be too ambitious on my part.

Just curious...why does Dr. Adams no longer do the surgery?

Best wishes for your husband's surgery approval. He's got a huge advantage with you going through this before him, and understanding what it takes to lose the weight! And, by helping him, it will undoubtedly give you the push t get all the way to goal and stay there.

Tami

hey, Bama Guys I was band on 2/13/08. I have a lot of gas. I'm not able to drink much because of the gas. Please give me some ideas on what to eat. Looking at my paper, I was only on clear liq. during my hosp. stay. Did anyone try baby food? I was band by Dr. Cottingham

Hey all! IM in Mobile. I've been struggling for the last 2 months and just wondering if there is anyone in Mobile who would enjoy going to the gym, park, or somewhere to exercise together

I had contacted Dr. Adams office when I first was looking into it. April of last year, they were not taking new patients, so I thought it was just a.. he's full kind of thing, but I would think he'd want to do as many surgeries as he could.

Welcome to bandland summerset. Check out the 'food' forums, there's plenty of ideas & recipes posted!

hey, Bama Guys I was band on 2/13/08. I have a lot of gas. I'm not able to drink much because of the gas. Please give me some ideas on what to eat. Looking at my paper, I was only on clear liq. during my hosp. stay. Did anyone try baby food? I was band by Dr. Cottingham

I'd recommend sticking with the post-op diet required by your doc. They don't want your stomach "churning" with digestion, because the band needs to settle in place to prevent slipping. I know it's hard at this stage, but stick with it!

Are you still on Clear liquids? My favorite clear was wonton Soup from a Chinese restaurant. We asked for only the broth, and they gave us two quarts for the price of one.

If you're now able to have full liquids, thinned baby foods would probably be fine, but to me they lack flavor. I'd rather take foods designed for adult tastes (like Chunky or creamed soups) and just blend with extra broth, milk, Water, or V-8. I was told that full liquids should be thin enough that it would pass through a straw, but don't use a straw because it can pull in extra air, too.

Tami

Hey Tami,

I'm so impressed with your weight loss! I see you started at the same weight as me and now you are in a size 8? I can't even imagine what that would be like!

I was banded in Boaz by Dr. Groves.

Hey Tami,

I'm so impressed with your weight loss! I see you started at the same weight as me and now you are in a size 8? I can't even imagine what that would be like!

I was banded in Boaz by Dr. Groves.

Thanks! It feels pretty awesome! I sometimes pull my jeans out of the laundry basket to fold, hold them up, and wonder who left a pair of jeans at our house. It's hard to wrap my mind around the fact that they're mine.

Tamigreentopsmall.jpg?t=1203621430

Tami

Hello tami i too am from bama i was banded on 2-6-08 and have lost 15lbs so far i go for my first fill on 3 -28 i am about the same size you were and girl let me tell you i looked at your pic and you look great i hope i too will look like that one day

Hi, I would love to know how you are doing with Dr. Cottingham. He's doing my surgery next Wed the 21st. I really like him so far with the 2 visits I have had with him. Did you stay overnight?