Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So last night as I was making my mashed cauliflower, I caved in a tried a few skittles that one of my roommates had lying around the house.

Boy was that a bad idea! I spent the following three hours doubled over in pain, feeling nauseous, dizzy and weak. I couldn't find a comfortable way to lie down, every couple of minutes my abdomen would shoot with pain, nothing could have fixed it. Eventually after about 2 1/2 hours, I was able to convince myself to vomit, and slowly started to feel better.

Lesson learned, no more sweets for me!

wow that sounds awful...i wonder if everyone has that problem with sweets like that? how far out are you?

wow that sounds awful...i wonder if everyone has that problem with sweets like that? how far out are you?

It's called Dumping Syndrome; it's prevalent with bariatric patients from what I've read. I think it affects everyone differently, and different sweets probably cause it. Skittles are all sugar so I'm sure they would cause more damage than say a cookie or something.

I am 12 days out; I was sleeved on the 11th.

From what I have read and have been told by my surgeon and nut, sleeved paitents don't dump.

Don't really know what it could have been, but probably not dumping.

Glad you are feeling better!!

Kelly :)

From what I have read and have been told by my surgeon and nut, sleeved paitents don't dump.

Well, whatever it was, I'm glad its over :D

It's really just semantics. Sleeved patients can have the exact same symptoms as dumping. So, really, who cares what the correct term for it is, when it happens, you sure don't care.sad.gif

Sorry that happened to you Sarah. Hard lesson learned, that's for sure. Good thing about the sleeve is, once something like that happens to us, we DON'T repeat it, ever.

I had a similar thing happen with orange juice. I drank some after eating a bit of eggs. Not good. Let me tell you, I won't be doing that again.smile.gif

Glad you are feeling better! From all of the reading that I have done, sleeved people can get dumping. It's just not as common. Sorry that it happened to you.

Hi Sarah,

Oh, I feel bad for you and trust me, I know what you went through! I had the same reaction to some sugar free choc carmel "turtles" candy... of course since its sugar free I thought it would be o.k. to eat like 4 of them! OMG - I was in agony on the bathroom floor, my husband wanted to take me to the ER I was so sick, cold, clamy, sweating, stomach ached horribly, dizzy... until I got rid of what I ate... it was bad... -- Go through it once and it teaches you to follow your diet better huh?

Good luck!!

So last night as I was making my mashed cauliflower, I caved in a tried a few skittles that one of my roommates had lying around the house.

Boy was that a bad idea! I spent the following three hours doubled over in pain, feeling nauseous, dizzy and weak. I couldn't find a comfortable way to lie down, every couple of minutes my abdomen would shoot with pain, nothing could have fixed it. Eventually after about 2 1/2 hours, I was able to convince myself to vomit, and slowly started to feel better.

Lesson learned, no more sweets for me!

Oh girl, temptation is everywhere!! Maybe you could buy some sugar free hard candies to have in case you get that urge again. The sad part is, most of us have to learn the hard way. I am sure it was not fun, but thank you for sharing. Maybe you can save one of us pre-sleevers from doing it.

Hugs

It probably isn't dumping, usually that is just bypass patients. However I have had this same pain, my surgeon said it is because I eaither eat or drink too fast. I imagine it could be becuase your stomach just wasn't ready for the hard skittles. Nonetheless I'm glad you're feeling better :)