Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery in 3 wks!! HELP

Hey Everyone :) I have been reading this forum for a while now... finally decided to join :)

My sleeve surgery is on June 9, and i am nothing short of terrified! I guess i wasnt expecting it to happen so soon after just being approved 2 days ago. Its all finally hittng me, that its actually happening. I have dreamed of this for years... but never thought id be this scared!

I am nervous about the pre op testing procedures.. what do they actually test??

I am also scared of surgery in general.... I have never been admitted to the hospital for ANYTHING.. so this is completely freaking me out :( Additionally... I hate taking off my clothes! I know that sounds stupid, but... I am so shy :(

Any words of advice? My other concern is that my blood pressure is a little elevated, and though i am on medicine. . i am scared that it will shoot up the day of surgery bc ill be so nervous :(

Please give me any advice you can, I would so appreciate it!!

Congratulations on getting your date!! My surgery is scheduled for June 15th. I agree that it does all happen pretty fast. You spend all of this time researching and reading then BOOM its here!

As for pre-op testing all I had to have done was a stress test. I don't have any history of stomach ulcers, hernias, excess reflux, etc. so I didn't have to have the upper GI thingy. Thankfully! Other than that just blood work for me. Good luck I look forward to following your progress! :)

hey there and welcome to the site. I tell you if it werent for me joining i would have been lost as far as my fears and concerns. I cannot answer all of your questions only because i was a self pay and it was a little different...but what i can tell you is that i had more pain and more discomfort from having my tubes tied than this surgery. i had mine done on May 9th and came home on the 12th. It was great compared to what i convinced myself i was going to go through. The only thing that bothered me really was a bit of gas that collected under my ribs a little. but i just got up and walked and walked and walked. Even if you dont feel like getting up just make sure you walk. today i can honestly say it doesnt even feel like i had surgery at all and its only been 13 days. the post op diet is a pain...lol im ready to have some variety in my diet! As far as talking your clothes off the only time you would be uncovered is probably during your surgery..and at that point you will be asleep and not even be aware....

just remember that the fears you have we all did...you are not alone and any time you have fears, doubts, concerns, or questions you have a place to go!

Hey Everyone :) I have been reading this forum for a while now... finally decided to join :)

My sleeve surgery is on June 9, and i am nothing short of terrified! I guess i wasnt expecting it to happen so soon after just being approved 2 days ago. Its all finally hittng me, that its actually happening. I have dreamed of this for years... but never thought id be this scared!

I am nervous about the pre op testing procedures.. what do they actually test??

I am also scared of surgery in general.... I have never been admitted to the hospital for ANYTHING.. so this is completely freaking me out :( Additionally... I hate taking off my clothes! I know that sounds stupid, but... I am so shy :(

Any words of advice? My other concern is that my blood pressure is a little elevated, and though i am on medicine. . i am scared that it will shoot up the day of surgery bc ill be so nervous :(

Please give me any advice you can, I would so appreciate it!!

Hi I'm having my surgery on June 20th and I can't wait. Saw my doctor on monday did the testing. Now my doctor wants an EKG, Chest xray,cbc and cmp.

The testing we did at the first visit was Psychiatric Consulation' meet with Anesthesia and have an education class. I have to lose ten pounds before

my surgery so I am starting on the sleeve diet now. I was told the day of surgery everybody is scared ,so you just have to let them know and they will give

you something extra. Once your on the IV there is stuff in that to calm you down. I hope this has helped you a little. Good luck and God Bless Wendy (Mac)

Welcome Tamz! You are one of the Jewels of June! smile.gif

My surgery is June 1st. I am having my pre op tests tomorrow. My PCP did the EKG and it was normal so I'm not sure what else is in store for me.

I am also a surgery virgin! I am nervous about IVs and anesthesia. I have really bad veins and blood tests are an ordeal (unless they use a butterfly and tap my only good vein on the back of my left hand!).

All I can tell you is I've read the journeys of my fellow sleevers on this board and I realize everyone's experience is a little difference but everyone makes it through to the loser's bench. I never dreamed I'd be having WLS but I want my life back. I'm tired of feeling pain in my knees, ankles and feet when I walk a short distance. I'm tired of huffing and puffing all the time because I'm dragging around the weight of an extra person. I am looking forward to having normal sugar levels, lower blood pressure and even lower cholesterol levels. I am really looking forward to being a vivacious 56 year old and not feeling like I'm 56 going on 100 !

The surgery is the easy part. All we have to do is show up! I know you can do this -- I don't think any of us signs up for this procedure without recognizing its life changing which also means it is very scary! Your surgery is 8 days after mine...I'm going to save you a seat on that loser's bench! rolleyes.gif

EJ

Welcome to the forum. It's perfectly natural to be scared - you are not alone in this. So far, my pre-op testing includes a blood test (CBC, Vitamin/mineral level, A1C, etc), an ultrasound of my gallbladder and an EGD test due to the occasional acid reflux that I have. I imagine as I get closer to my date (whenever that will be), it will include more stuff at the hospital (like an EKG).

Welcome to VST and congrats on your date!

Every doctor is different. Here are the pre op tests I had:

EKG

Endoscopy

Blood Test

Urine Test

Stress Test

Chest X Ray

My doctor allowed me to get them all done in a single day. I hope this helps!

I am scheduled for surgery on June 6th. I am anxious but thrilled all at the same time. I have researched and this website has been a life saver. I have my pre-op tests on Wednesday May 25th. Pre-op appt. with Dr. on June 1st. Then have a three day full liquid diet and surgery Monday June 6th. I am really excited getting to this point and ready to be on the other side of surgery even though that is when the really challenge starts. I know I will be fine as soon as I can get home and get started.

Good luck and God bless everyone that is having surgery in the next few weeks. Prayers for us all.

Keep in touch.

Neanie

Anesthesia is a dream for me!! Like taking a great nap!!! And surgery has never been as bad as I thought it would be. I go in tomorrow!!you are going to do great...Joan

I'm having my surgery june 11th (self pay) and am also a surgery virgin. plus i'm traveling to mexico by myself (oyy). I am petrified but i won't let fear hold me back.. i have my life to live! regarding your blood pressure don't worry about it, if it is high on the day of surgery, anethesia will give you extra blood pressure medication through your iv.

You know, now that I think about it I don't think I once took my clothes off. It was always private, just changing into a hospital gown. When I changed after surgery I just got up and did it myself, washing up at the sink and putting the robe (duster type) I had taken to the hospital and was far more comfortable in. I had to be careful as I was still on an IV but everything snapped.

Also never had any undress issues with any tests.