Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How are the Florida sleevers doing????

Hi,

I live in new Smyrna beach, travel to jax regularly as grandbabies are there. I will be having surgery on June 19th and would welcome any support! It is starting to feel real now.

Hi

I live in Sanford – not too far from you. I had my surgery July 2010 – so it will be 3 years next month. All is great – no problems and am holding steady between 85 and 90 lbs lost.

I might be able to answer some of your questions and or concerns…

Lou

Hello all you Florida Sleevers!!

My name is Kelli and I live in Palm Coast but driving to Boca Raton for my surgery on Friday. If any of you have any pre or post op words of wisdom I would love to hear it!

Hi Lou,

Thanks for responding, yes Sanford is only about 30 minutes from me! Wow, you have done great! I am amazed that you are still on the site as it seems that people are most active in the deciding and waiting period but so nice of you to reach out.

Well, I guess my biggest concern is #1, the pain after the surgery. I am a big baby and don't do pain well at all. I just hope it isn't too bad. Second I am afraid of having remorse and of not being successful. I think that if I was good at this, then I wouldn't be in this situation. I just hope I can stay positive and not get on a pity pot!

Hope to hear more from you, any words of wisdom would be much appreciated.

Roxanne

Roxanne

If you like - send me your phone # and we can talk - it will be easier then this ...

steinbl@cfl.rr.com

Lou

Had my surgery Monday @ 11am. All went well, did a revision of LapBand to Sleeve. Was up and walking to bathroom in recovery. It felt like had done to many sit ups. The thing that bothered me was the gas they use to enlarge my stomach cavity. It built up in my lt shoulder and hurt for two days. I walked a lot at hospital and in and out of bed to recliner in room. Moving around helped and so did hot blankets. Got discharged yesterday morning and went to mall to walk around then home and more walking. Dr told me not to go home and lay around so I am on the move. No need for pain meds. Can drink just fine. Not hungry even though I have smelt some really good food. Will keep posting! So excited to be past the surgery, I was really worried.

Had my surgery Monday @ 11am. All went well' date=' did a revision of LapBand to Sleeve. Was up and walking to bathroom in recovery. It felt like had done to many sit ups. The thing that bothered me was the gas they use to enlarge my stomach cavity. It built up in my lt shoulder and hurt for two days. I walked a lot at hospital and in and out of bed to recliner in room. Moving around helped and so did hot blankets. Got discharged yesterday morning and went to mall to walk around then home and more walking. Dr told me not to go home and lay around so I am on the move. No need for pain meds. Can drink just fine. Not hungry even though I have smelt some really good food. Will keep posting! So excited to be past the surgery, I was really worried.[/quote']

I'm glad you are doing well. I'm worried too. I have another month to go. You aren't uncomfortable with all the walking? Good luck!

Hello Florida Sleevers!! I have my surgery scheduled for this coming Friday July 19th and am super excited :-)

Hello Florida Sleevers!! I have my surgery scheduled for this coming Friday July 19th and am super excited :-)

Congratulations! You will love your sleeve : ) What area do you live in and who is your doctor?

I live in Yulee and my surgeon is Dr. Baptista.

You picked a great surgeon! I wanted to use him but I his cost was too much for me since I was self pay : ( I live in Green Cove Springs just outside of Orange Park and travel your way sometimes since I have family out there.

Are there any Northwest Florida sleevers besides me?

Hi. I'm in Palm Beach county. My surgery is scheduled for Monday!!!! Woo hoo! Would love to meet someone in my area going through the same thing!!

I'm in the Tampa bay area and a newbe to this and I have a surgeon I just have to meet with him and have my consult with him and see where it goes I'm nervous. So anyone out there wanna chat please let me know

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches