Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was sleeved 5/9 and have been on full liquids since last Friday. I am having a VERY HARD time getting my Protein in. I barely eat any calories and wanted to see if you all could help me. I am doing good with my Water, so no worries there!! I do drink some Isopure which helps, but I HATE the taste. I also have powders? utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury plain and have tried to put it on my food, but it makes me GAG!!!

A typical day for me is the following:

B-1/2 c yogurt or 1/2 30 g Protein shake

L- 1/2 c creamy Soup or 8 oz Unjury chicken broth or 1/2 c yogurt or 1/2 30 g Protein Shake

D- 1 c. Boulion Broth or 1/2 c applesauce or 1/2 thin grits

i could eat any of these items at any meal, but this is pretty much all i am consuming at this point. i am lost on what to eat. i posted a topic last week and nobody really responded to it and i was told to just focus on my fluids for now. I am really weak and anemic and feel like if i could consume more food with protein, i might have more energy!

I don't have a problem eating and could eat more, I just am lost on what to eat!

Please help!!

Kelly :D

I drink the Atkins low carb low sugar Protein drink. Its 11 oz and has 15 gr of Protein, I know not a lot but the taste is really good and that is what gets me through. My first week out it took me 2 hours to drink one and I managed 2 to 2 1/2 a day. The second week I was up to a full 3. Now on week 3 I have no issues getting 4 in.

I drink:

one for Breakfast when I get up at around 6 am

one at around 10am at work

one at around 3pm at work

one at night around 8 or 9 when watching tv.

When I was on fulls only I would have the Soups and broths in between all of those.

I get the 60 I am required and in the middle of it all I drink all my Water. Now that I am on mushies, I have a greek yogurt most days for lunch, or an oatmeal and mashed w/gravey for dinner. Tonight I am having refried Beans with some cheese, sour cream and picante sause.

Hope this helps!

Just keep sipping!!!! It takes a few weeks to be able to drink more than a couple ounces an hour. Once you get to that point things will get easier. Even though I can eat anything now, I still have to split my Protein drinks in early between Breakfast and lunch and I won't eat regular food until I'm done with that. Even so, I find that I'm craving Protein. I have been snacking on things like tuna, hard boiled egg, and hamburger patty. Not 3 hardboiled eggs like I used to. And just a single hamburger patty is enough to keep me full for a couple hours.

Kelly,

I am right there with you. No energy. I was just released to full liquids yesterday. I am drinking three Protein to four drinks a day. I do the pre-packaged EAS Carb Advantage (17g Protein and 4 carbs) that I get at Sam's right now and usually add in one mixed from powder that has a little more protein.

Last night I did have a sf pudding cup. Heavenly!! Over the weekend, I am going to try the thinned out refried Beans with greek yogurt and cheese.

I was sleeved 5/9 and have been on full liquids since last Friday. I am having a VERY HARD time getting my Protein in. I barely eat any calories and wanted to see if you all could help me. I am doing good with my Water, so no worries there!! I do drink some Isopure which helps, but I HATE the taste. I also have unjury plain and have tried to put it on my food, but it makes me GAG!!!

L- 1/2 c creamy Soup or 8 oz Unjury chicken broth or 1/2 c yogurt or 1/2 30 g Protein Shake

D- 1 c. Boulion broth or 1/2 c applesauce or 1/2 thin grits

i could eat any of these items at any meal, but this is pretty much all i am consuming at this point. i am lost on what to eat. i posted a topic last week and nobody really responded to it and i was told to just focus on my fluids for now. I am really weak and anemic and feel like if i could consume more food with protein, i might have more energy!

I don't have a problem eating and could eat more, I just am lost on what to eat!

Please help!!

I hate Isopure too, but there's another product called New whey liquid Protein that will give you 46 grams in 4 ounces. It tastes the same as Isopure. It SUCKS. But if you suck it down like medicine, it might get your energy up. Other strategies --protein in applesauce, protein in yogurt and I'm not sure if you know this, but Jello actually has some protein in it.

But honestly -- a week out your energy is going to be for shit anyway. I didn't feel reasonably coherent for three or four.

i had surgery the same day and i am right with you. the Protein taste awful!! i have been drinking these Protein Shots. i call them protein bullets. they have 35g of protein per shot and i can drink it in about 5 swallows. i feel a little ugh after but hey thats a big amount of protein in one little sitting. i tried the Protein Shakes and it doesnt sit well yet. but keep pluggin along...im sure it will be easier for us in just a bit

Ask Chike to send you samples. I love their Protein drinks. They have a few more carbs than some but are Meal Replacements and with the fibre the net carbs are acceptable and my nutritionist approved them. The will send out the samples immediately! They have I thkn 27 grams a drink and also lots of other nutrients including essential fatty acids and Vitamins and minerals. ALso send for the samples of nectar by Syntrax- I have a Fuzzy Naval every afternoon with half a packet of another flavor. They are very palatable.

Don't sprinkle unjury on your food- you need to stir it in really well!

Also maybe get nonfat dried milk to stir in to things to add more protein- I have seen that suggested.

My day

2 scoops champion proscore 100 chocolate with 8 ounces dcafe blended with ice and a splash of vanilla

30 grams

lunch

1 packet nectar fuzzy naval plus one scoop of chike strawberry blended with ice

35 grams

dinner

either one packet Unjury chicken broth (20 grams( or Tomato Soup 1 cup with 1 cup milk added (13 grams)

so that is either 85 or close to 80 (80 is my required)\

In between- Water, Decaf tea, propel, and sugar free popsicles.

GNC has lots of different chocolate ones- their wheybolic extreme has a lot of fans and they have the Protein Shots too.

A you Tuber I watch also said she found Sunkist Protein shots that actually tasted ok.

I'm concerned about that low iron! Was it low in the hospital?

Wait- why do you only drink half the shake? You should drink 2 30 gram shakes- do you just hate them? WHat kind are they> You need GOOD ones!

The trick with the unjury unflavored is instead of putting it in your food (yuck!!!), find a shake you really love to drink. Such as the Atkins drinks or whatever else powder you might use. Add one packet (or one half for now since you can't consume much). It will add 20g Protein to whatever you are already getting in the RTD or powder mix. Especially since you say you only finish half at a time.

Anyway doing that is what I call my Super Power Protein shakes... LOL it always makes me feel great after. With all the sweetners and chocolatey or whatever flavor you can't really sense the unflavored. It's really just meant to boost up whatever with extra protein. It works really well this way.

You might just want to be sipping on Protein Shakes at least one more time per day (preferrably 2 - but you also need to focus on water).

The beginning is VERY tough! Just do the best you can. You're probably going to be feeling a little weak until you can tolerate more intake, and/or getting to solids and more natural Proteins.

Buy some Beneprotein. You can add it to foods. It's flavorless and can be added to heated food. The cheapest I've seen it was at www.medco.com

I had my sleeve on 4/18 and too felt I wasn't getting enough in. So I've been using chocolate and banana Bariatric Advantage mixed with 8 ounces of skim milk so it comes out to 35g of Protein. That is what I have for Breakfast. lunch has been cream Soups w/ milk and blended in ricotta cheeses. Usually 4 ounces. Use cottage cheese for dinners. I too agree the Isopure wasn't very helpful at all made me gag. My nutritionist said to try to do the best I can but it takes awhile to have your body adjust. Usually 6 to 8 weeks. I've just started on pureed & soft foods and I get full easily. I still have no hunger so I have to remind my self to eat and drink. Getting the 64 ounces of fluids they want me to get in

also is a struggle

I was sleeved 5/9 and have been on full liquids since last Friday. I am having a VERY HARD time getting my Protein in. I barely eat any calories and wanted to see if you all could help me. I am doing good with my Water, so no worries there!! I do drink some Isopure which helps, but I HATE the taste. I also have powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury plain and have tried to put it on my food, but it makes me GAG!!!

Please help!!

Thanks everyone!! ;)

I have the Premier Protein RTD vanilla from costco, I really liked it b4 surgery and now can barely drink 1/2 before I am gaggin on the flavor. I also have Atkins strawberry, chocolate and vanilla. It seems when I drink these, b4 1/2 is gone, I get exteme gas and am running to the bathroom!! YUCK!

I do have Bariatric Advantage Meal Replacement ones and Chike ones. I just hate them all! I know I need to just suck it up and drink them. It would be so much easier if I could just chug it and get it over with!

And Meggie, I was slightly anemic b4 surgery and my surgeon was concerned that this would happen. He had me taking a lot of Iron everyday to prevent this, but it still did. He said it is hard to spring back from. I look so pale and unnatural. I hope to get this under control soon!

Hugs,

Kelly :(

Oh what a bummer that you hate the Chike. I like the choco and the strawberry- I am putting a scoop of strawberry into each nectar fuzzy naval for a total of 38.

I hate to say it but keep searching- with the anemia the worst thing would be to get malnourished too!

I can't take those premier shakes.

Try GNC= they are sure to have somethingl Mixing a chocolate one with milk might fit the bill. Something you mix yourself is bound to be better than the ready to drink blends.

Are you able to have cottage cheese?

Im worried about you! I certainly know the 80 grams are possible but finding something palatable is so important!

Edited to add- the dinner looks like the place you have got to get Protein in. The things you list don't have any really to speak of.

And broth is a liquid- no need to even count that or not drink with it.

Thanks Meggie!

I agree that there has to be stuff out there that I can drink. I only have about a week to go, but I am afraid of becoming malnourished as well. I already look horrible....pale and just blah!! I don't really feel to bad, but really don't want that. That is why i am sure to drink my fluids. I don't have a problem with broth, Water or Decaf tea, so i drink the crap out of them. At least i am getting something!

When my dr. did my blood tests yesterday my sodium and electrolytes were great! so, i am not dehydrated. that is a good thing! he told me to make sure that i don't get that way tho.

I just need to suck it up and drink the nasty things even tho i hate them. i can advance my diet in about a week and i will have so many more options then. i can do it for a week.....i guess.

love you guys!

kelly ;)

Hi, Kelly: Sorry your post op diet is not too good now. First, I would find a Protein that is whey and tastes good. I went to costco and got Muscle Milk Plus, which tastes very good and blends very well. They also sell Premier premixed shakes in chocolate that I like alot, too. Proteins are 26g and 30g respectively. I have not tried unjury at all, so cannot help there. I would try cooking some Proteins, like chicken, fish, etc. well done and then puree them with your blender to see if you can get them down with small bites. Make sf Jello with your nonfat cottage cheese, or swirl in your nonfat Greek yogurt with a flavor you like--lime, orange, and the berry ones are tasty. See if you could not whiz some lowsugar oatmeal dry into your blender, then cook it to a runny gruel to sip on. I cannot emphasize the need for your Multivitamins here. You might need to take some Iron for awhile to keep your energy levels intact. Consult your dr and nutritionist on this, please. You can also microwave a sweet potato plain for about 6 min until soft, then scoop into your blender to smoothe it into a med sauce texture to eat. I would also try Gerber's Junior Baby foods to see if those won't go down better for you. Those have nutrients in them--for variety. I think it is important to vary as much as you can the foods you are trying to eat. Just remember the stomach is healing, so don't go overboard with any one thing, just try several items to see if you can tolerate them, and above all, sip your water!!! Good luck with it. Let us know how you are doing--try not to dehydrate yourself by not eating and drinking. :rolleyes:

I was sleeved 5/9 and have been on full liquids since last Friday. I am having a VERY HARD time getting my Protein in. I barely eat any calories and wanted to see if you all could help me. I am doing good with my Water, so no worries there!! I do drink some Isopure which helps, but I HATE the taste. I also have Unjury plain and have tried to put it on my food, but it makes me GAG!!!

B-1/2 c yogurt or 1/2 30 g protein shake

L- 1/2 c creamy Soup or 8 oz unjury chicken broth or 1/2 c yogurt or 1/2 30 g Protein Shake

Please help!!