Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two days before surgery and STILL EATING

Hi,

My husband is two days away from vsg surgery (May 19). His Dr. wanted him to do two weeks pre-op of Protein Shakes before surgery, yet since starting the pre-op, he has been craving ALL his favorite meals...I call it his "Green Mile Meals." It is almost like he is self-sabotaging something that he REALLY wants. Most of the last 12 days have been a mix of Protein drinks and Green Mile Meals. Although his Dr. "prescribed" a liquid diet prior to surgery, his research uncoved people who's Dr. did not require this... So, he has done a bit of both (more eating if you ask me). My question (and now his concern) is since he has NOT followed his Dr's orders, will it be okay to proceed with the surgery or should he reschedule? (I think if he reschedules, it will be a repeat of the sabotaging...sigh) His Dr's reasoning was to shrink the liver. Has anyone done what my husband did (or know someone) and the surgery went fine? Also, why are some Dr's requiring liquid diets and others saying it is okay to eat? Since his surgery is ONLY a few days away, quick responses are greatly appreciated. Thank you...

Sincerely grateful,

Supportgroup ;-)

The pre-op diet, whatever form the surgeon has established for their patients, is there is shrink the slippery fat on the liver. If he has true fatty liver, then the diet is in place to prepare his body for surgery. The liver has to be moved out of the way with a single trochar to get to the stomach safely. If it's huge, slippery/slimy from fat deposits, the risk of it slipping is extremely high, and there have been patients that get nicked livers in surgery which is life-threatening.

Personally, surgery doesn't fix our brains, and if he can't stick to the pre-op, post-op is going to be even more difficult and he really needs to evaluate if he can take on these life changes.

The difference in pre-op plans is based on that particular surgeon's experiences with his patients. My surgeon doesn't require liquids, but does require a strict high Protein, super low carb pre-op diet to help shrink the slippery fat on the outside of the liver.

Not sure what to say except that I would call his doctor and ask him.

Is he really ready to have this surgery? Does he really want to have this surgery? If he is doing this now what is to say that he will not do the same thing once he is sleeved? The sleeve is only a tool in his weight loss. If he continues to eat empty calories once he is sleeved he won't lose the weight. If he eats things bf he is supposed to after the surgery seriously hurt his sleeve and there could be a leak. He could die from this!

I would ask him to seriously think about this and try to understand why he is doing what he is doing and also call the doctor!

Good luck!

The Pre- liquid diet is not necessary but HIGHLY recommended because it's beneficial for you as the patient and the doctor performing the surgery. The smaller the liver the quicker the surgery due to lack of complications caused by the liver getting in the way of the stomach. Plus it can even speed up or slow down the recovery process.

Following the doctors instructions are definitely a plays because he or she knows what problems they tend to have during the performance of the surgery.

I'll have my surgery in a month but I've actually practiced the liquid diet requirement several types to train my mind and body.

i have heard of many people not doing the diet b4 hand. I even slipped up at the begining of my 2 week diet. but the problem is. if the doc opens him up and sees issues with a slippery liver he may close him back up. i have heard of this happening. every doc is different. Anyhow i hope everything goes well and good luck!

First of all I totally sympathize-.my 2 week liquid diet started April 25th and the couple of weeks before were not pretty. I definitely gained 3 pounds having my favorite things.

I was serious when I started my two weeks though-I knew enough from reading here that the liver is really important and I also now had three pounds to take off- surely if I gained my surgery would be canceled.

I admit I slipped twice. We shot a wedding during that two weeks and I knew I had to eat a small amount at the meal after a day working hard on our feet but I just had the chicken, a little of the vegetable, and no starch. The other time was not as sensible- I almost had my surgery canceled because I had a cold and the day I went to be examine, three days before my surgery, my husband brought home a small pizza for our favorite place in SF with my fave toppings in case it was canceled. I just could not resist a piece that night, even though it had not been canceled. I had one- not all the crust, mostly the top. That was it in two weeks. I showed 15 pounds lost at my surgery weigh in.

My doctor said my liver was great.

Has your husband gained weight? Has he been told he will not have surgery if he gains or does not lose?

Perhaps he can wait until that day and see what happens but I think this is risky and I do agree with everyone that if he has sabotaged this he could easily sabotage the sleeve and end up obese with a small stomach. This seems very self destructive.

If he does have his surgery canceled he might consider having some counseling during the next preop time.

Does he realize we can eat all our favorite foods after- just in small amounts and with care? It is not as if he can never eat anything he loves again.

Sorry to ramble but there have to be some reason he is wanting the sleeve he cant just keep eating until it kills him. He needs to really remember that and just do it.

I would call your husband's surgeon and have HIM/HER deal with your husband. That, afterall is what you and your husband have contracted him/her to do, is it not??

Then I would tell your husband what you have done, so there are no nasty surprises when the surgeon addresses the issue with him.

Valentina

First of all I totally sympathize-.my 2 week liquid diet started April 25th and the couple of weeks before were not pretty. I definitely gained 3 pounds having my favorite things.

I was serious when I started my two weeks though-I knew enough from reading here that the liver is really important and I also now had three pounds to take off- surely if I gained my surgery would be canceled.

I admit I slipped twice. We shot a wedding during that two weeks and I knew I had to eat a small amount at the meal after a day working hard on our feet but I just had the chicken, a little of the vegetable, and no starch. The other time was not as sensible- I almost had my surgery canceled because I had a cold and the day I went to be examine, three days before my surgery, my husband brought home a small pizza for our favorite place in SF with my fave toppings in case it was canceled. I just could not resist a piece that night, even though it had not been canceled. I had one- not all the crust, mostly the top. That was it in two weeks. I showed 15 pounds lost at my surgery weigh in.

My doctor said my liver was great.

Has your husband gained weight? Has he been told he will not have surgery if he gains or does not lose?

Perhaps he can wait until that day and see what happens but I think this is risky and I do agree with everyone that if he has sabotaged this he could easily sabotage the sleeve and end up obese with a small stomach. This seems very self destructive.

If he does have his surgery canceled he might consider having some counseling during the next preop time.

Does he realize we can eat all our favorite foods after- just in small amounts and with care? It is not as if he can never eat anything he loves again.

Sorry to ramble but there have to be some reason he is wanting the sleeve he cant just keep eating until it kills him. He needs to really remember that and just do it.

I hope all went well w/ your husband's surgery today. I am scheduled for this coming Tuesday (5/24). When I saw my doctor and asked him about a pre-op diet, he told me I didn't need to, but also not to go hog wild. At the nutrition class 2 days later, I then learned about the 1000 calorie pre-op diet. They didn't like the doctor's suggestion and said I should follow it. The first week I did a modified version. this past week, I've been more strict w/ a couple diversions due to travel for work. I tried to be as low carb as possible. I don't think there should be a problem since I've already lost close to 8 lbs in the past week and a half.

It really is what the doctor is comfortable with. Please let us know what the doctor said after the fact.

<FONT color=#000080 size=4 face=Tahoma>I have my surgery in 12 days on the 31st. Dr says it is very important to follow Preop Diet to shrink the liver--I call this my detox-of-fat stage. I got a page of OK food n drink that I eat with my Protein Shakes. This is revision surgery to a bypass I had in 2001. Hubby needs to follow dr's orders--let dr deal with his prep with the preop diet.

Thank you to ALL the wonderful responses! I shared the ones I received prior to the surgery with my husband. He called his Dr's nurse (who had bypass surgery several years ago) on the 18th. She asked him to provide her details about what he's been doing and he was honest...(He's been doing the Protein shakes everyday, but he has eaten something most of those days as well). I was happy to know that although he didn't follow the pre-op diet prescribed (ALL LIQUIDS), he didn't "pig-out" throughout the day...just ONE TIME each day. I had assumed the worse in error, but he was also concerned. The nurse told him that he should be fine and that his surgeons will assess his condition (fatty liver, etc) and determine whether or not to proceed. He felt better about his discussion with the nurse and on the morning of the surgery he weighed himself and he was 15 lbs down. We arrived at the hospital at 4:45a and he was wheeled into the operating room a little after 7a (surgery actually began at 7:25a). The nurse came to get me at 9:10a to meet with one of the surgeons and discuss how everything went. The surgeon said EVERYTHING went GRRRREEEAAATTTT!!! He said his liver was fine, he fixed a small hernia, the gallbladder was great and it was all done laproscopically as planned. The nurse told me when he arrived in recovery he was asking, "Where's my wife?" ;-)

His response to the procedure was really uneventful --- the expected gas pain, but VERY LITTLE NAUSEA (praise God!). He walked a little and drank fluids slowly...even got off the IV before 6p. I left around 8p and he said the gas pains were horrible around 11p later that night, but he said a prayer and amazingly the pain subsided. Today when I arrived close to 10a, he was still slow on his liquids...I told him to kick it up a notch and we walked a bunch (he was hopeful of going home today). By early afternoon he really stepped up his liquids, but it was a little too late. By 7p his Dr said that although my husband was feeling REALLY good, his liquid intake was not enough based on his requirements. My husband learned a HUGE lesson...even if the fluids cramp your stomach, STILL drink them and as ALWAYS...listen to your wife, she KNOWS BEST, lol.

So, I should be taking my husband home tomorrow (Saturday) by noon. He is happy about his decision and says he is determined to do whatever it takes to be successful and make the necessary life changes. The journey continues... Blessings to you all during your sleeve/life journey.

Thanks again,

Supportgroup ;-)

Hi,

My husband is two days away from vsg surgery (May 19). His Dr. wanted him to do two weeks pre-op of Protein Shakes before surgery, yet since starting the pre-op, he has been craving ALL his favorite meals...I call it his "Green Mile Meals." It is almost like he is self-sabotaging something that he REALLY wants. Most of the last 12 days have been a mix of Protein drinks and Green Mile Meals. Although his Dr. "prescribed" a liquid diet prior to surgery, his research uncoved people who's Dr. did not require this... So, he has done a bit of both (more eating if you ask me). My question (and now his concern) is since he has NOT followed his Dr's orders, will it be okay to proceed with the surgery or should he reschedule? (I think if he reschedules, it will be a repeat of the sabotaging...sigh) His Dr's reasoning was to shrink the liver. Has anyone done what my husband did (or know someone) and the surgery went fine? Also, why are some Dr's requiring liquid diets and others saying it is okay to eat? Since his surgery is ONLY a few days away, quick responses are greatly appreciated. Thank you...

Sincerely grateful,

Supportgroup ;-)