Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleep & Pain

Hi all,

As my surgery is getting closer I'm going to have some wierd questions. (BTW I've never had any surgery at all so I don't know how it feels on your abdominal muscles and tummy)

For the first couple of weeks after surgery I keep reading that a lot of you slept in a recliner. I don't have a recliner. I have a bed that is a little high, I have to kind of climb into it. And I have a couch that I'll usually sleep on when I'm sick to have some privacy from the DH. :notagree

I have a feeling I'm going to need something to hold onto to get out of bed but what? I usually get up by just sitting straight up .

I'm a little worried. If I use the bed right after DH will go to the couch. He won't be able to hear me if I need help getting up. If I use the couch-the same thing will happen.

Anybody else without a recliner? Or a DH? (I got one but not very handy) What did you hold onto to get up. Or how did you get up? Can you lay directly down?:help:

Thanks so much!! You all are so great- I am so blessed to have found this group.

Diva my bed is very high also. Need a step stool to get into it. I personally had no trouble laying down and getting up without assistance after surgery. But everyone is different.

M

I had no recliner or problems after surgery....you just roll to your side and push up w/ elbows and it's reasonable usually!!! Praying you don't have trouble!!! I do have a wonderful husband that would help me out of our mushy couch if I needed it though!! :)

God Bless,

MElody

Banded 3/20/06 -52lbs

I slept in my bed, but I had a massive pile of pillows behind me. Also, it's just a regular level bed. In order to get out I had a sturdy stool that I'd grab and use to put my weight on rather than depend on my abdomen muscles for lift. Also, in the bathroom, sitting up and down, I found that if I put both of my hands at the top of my legs (right below my hips) and put the pressure there, it took all stress off my abdomen. I did have to grab the sink sitting down though....one hand on sink, one hand on thigh.

It's not that bad though. I found it became easier and easier each time I got up. That's why I'm glad I took advantage and stayed the night in the hospital. I got used to the pain and had nurses there to help me while I adjusted.

Goodl luck! :)

I slept on the couch for a few days because I could prop myslef up more and it made it easier to get up. Plus if I couldn't sleep I could wander around more easily then. The time of discomfort passed quickly enough. Don't worry about it and you'll work out a solution either with bed or couch once you get home...Best wishes!

My surgery was easy. In bed I slept pretty much on my back the first week or so. I was a little uncomfortable but was able to move to the side about 1 week later. No recliner needed.

Its true that the night stay in the hospital helps you really know what your going to have to deal with when you get home...The first couple times out of the bed in the hospital were a little painful, but nothing like a gall bladder or appendix removal...I was moving pretty good on my own the rest of the stay there and kept sounding off the alarm on the heart monitor and iv cuz I kept getting up...I was already sleeping on my side in the hospital and was already able to sleep on my tummy when I got home..Its just the laying down and getting comfortable part that are very slow but once I get in that cumfy spot I am set and dont feel any pains what so ever...There were only a couple times after I got home that I took the pain meds and used a heating pad for a little shoulder pain from the gas...Regardless on how good you feel afterwards take it easy and dont over due...I am 8 days out and still get just a little light headed if I stand too long or do too much...You will do great!

I don't have a recliner either. I also have a high bed too & had no problems getting in & out. I think those who DO have a recliner were very lucky, but it isn't necessary. My DH was willing to help me with anything, but he never had to. I was quite capable of doing it all. :) This surgery was really the easiest of any I've had.

I have a recliner and sat in it when I got home, but I never slept in it.

My bed is also a little high (no additional step needed). I just sorta got my Buns on it and flopped down on my side. Was not difficult wiggling around to find a comfy position.

I think I slept on my back for maybe two nights. That was weird since I'm a side sleeper. I didn't find it difficult at all to get up. I just rolled on my side and pushed up with my elbows.

I sleep on my port side and never had any trouble. For the first few nights, I stuffed a pillow under my stomach for support. It was uncomfortable on my left side (stomach side?), but it went away after a couple of weeks.

I suppose some people have more difficulty with sleeping arrangements, but I think most people don't. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I don't have a recliner, and I was in a hotel for 2 nights after my surgery anyway.

To lay down, I just sit down, lay on my side, then roll into whatever position I wanted. To get up, roll onto side, use arms to push into sitting position. Loving-it is right about the bathroom or any sitting position), push on your knees with your hands while you stand up to support the upper part of your body. It takes some of the work off of your abs.

My fiance came with me for my surgery, and it was very nice to have him around, but I *could* have done everything on my own. Walking around is good for you so it's not like you are bed ridden. Don't pick up anything heavy and you should be ok. (assuming there are no surgical complications)

I slept on both of my sides the first night after surgery. I just can't sleep on my back. I CAREFULLY and SLOWLY rolled to each side. It was a little painful to roll onto the left side (where my port is), but once I got settled, it didn't hurt anymore.

my post surgery sleep situation was identical to Marimaru/Sarah's - 2 nights in the hotel post surgery. I navigated the same way using my arms and legs to do work instead of my abs. My hubby was with me, and did give me a pull up or some support everyonce in a while, but I would have been fine on my own. I'm a side sleeper too, and slept on my sides first night out, I rolled carefully and slowly from side to side too, had pain settling on my port side, but it would ease up after a few moments. We combined lap band surgery with a cross continent trip, and I was back in our RV on the third night out, no problems.

XO

Leila

I have a high bed and actually found it easier. There was no bending to stand up or sit down. The hospital I was in gives you a little pillow to hold to your stomach to sit up or move about I guess (I never needed it for that). It was however, very much worth taking home. I found it really useful in bed. I sort of propped half my stomach up so that I could almost lay on my stomach, but the port didn't touch the bed.

Thanks so much everybody-I'm going to try both the couch and the bed. See which one works out best at first. I don't think I stay overnight-most lapband surgeries go home the same day if the surgery is early in the day. I'll take everyones advice, rolling and pillows (esp the pillow). My port will be just below my breasts in the middle. Not sure how I feel about that either.