Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I agree with you!! We need this to be an open forum where we can post our struggles and get help without a judgement.

Thank you for your honesty with your struggles here Husky to healthy. I feel I totally benefit from hearing everyone's successes and struggles. I so appreciate you being open to sharing your journey with us.

Keep us posted on how you are doing and how the liquids go. Congrats on your journey beginning!

Joan

I have to say, I do NOT understand how people can go through the preop process, the op, and the postop period, and decide to just ignore the instructions they are given. Seriously, why bother getting the surgery if you plan to not do what you're told (which you're being told because that is the safest, best thing to do)?

I don't think any of us would be resorting to surgery if we had a very good history of following what we KNOW to be a good and healthy diet. The key is not to beat anyone down for their mistakes but encourage them to do better. Shame and guilt and self loathing most often causes our issues with food and should not be encouraged by others.

I know you didn't mean to be rude, but if you'd thought about it for a moment before you posted you'd probably realize the same thing.

Taled to the docotr today, found a good therapist that deals with post operative bariatric patients ON MY HEALTH PLAN!!!! Woo Hoo!!! They were not too concerned about me moving to mushies so soon, but advised me to only have 2 tablesppons of any mushie during a 'planned eating event'. We talked about how I was food obsessed and ravenous, but it got better with me being at work. I could concentrate on other things, plus no food commercials to tempt me. But we found out I was eating WAY TOO LITTLE. I was eating only 3 times a day, 4-5 oz. I should be doing 4 oz every 2.5 hours on full liquids, then when I do mushies 4 oz every 3-4 hours. Their only concern with mushies was whipping up too much air into the food and having pain and advised me to watch it. As far as not feeling like I had any surgery, they said my surgery went very smooth with minimal incisions and manipulation, so they were not that shocked. So I am much relieved. So there is my update, meltdown documented, and I can move forward. Thanks for all the kind words and well sihes.

Best,

Steven

You really need to follow the food guidelines set by your surgeon. Just because you can eat that much doesn't mean you should. Also they give you those guidelines so you don't get things stuck in your throat, acid refux , and also don't pop your staples. I got my sleeve April 4th and I did 2 weeks on full liquids, 2 weeks on mushy, then i was allowed moist meats. That pain your feeling is most likely acid reflux or if you aren't chewing the food real good or eating to fast. If you are suppose to be on liquids then do it. You don't want to end up back in the hospital. If you feel you are hungry you need to let your surgeon know that. You may have what is referred to as "head hunger" where you feel hungry but your stomach really isn't hungry. It's a form of food addiction and there are food counselors you can see to help with that. I went to a few sessions pre and post surgery. My insurance covers it and it was extremely helpful. Good luck!

As far as not feeling like I had any surgery, they said my surgery went very smooth with minimal incisions and manipulation, so they were not that shocked. So I am much relieved. So there is my update, meltdown documented, and I can move forward. Thanks for all the kind words and well sihes.

Ah, bless. I'm so glad you have been so quickly proactive about this, I'm very impressed!! Sounds like you are well on the path again.

I also had a very smooth surgery and swelling went down very quickly, so I've been able to eat fairly normally (albeit quite small amounts) since surgery. I always wonder if there's something wrong with me...approximately two seconds before I think OMG I GOT SO LUCKY! :D Best to you on your continued journey.

I know for me, the beginning was the most difficult. I was hungry and wanted to EAT!

If you are "cheating" just really make sure you are being safe. I'd say egg salad is a pretty safe "cheat".

It does get easier once you start with your Protein. Just remember, your stomach is all freaked out right now and your brain is used to eating massive meals, frequently (at least that was the case with me).

Once you're all healed, you won't be able to eat much.

Good luck!

Oh I see, I guess it's only an "open forum" where we can post what we think if you agree with everyone else. Otherwise, it's just fine to be as rude as you like.

As clearly stated, I said *I* didn't understand that thought - I did not criticize anyone else for their thoughts or actions but merely asked a question.

Hello all,

Please keep to the subject matter at hand. Personal conversations, please take them to Personal Messages (PM). Thank you.

Taled to the docotr today, found a good therapist that deals with post operative bariatric patients ON MY HEALTH PLAN!!!! Woo Hoo!!! They were not too concerned about me moving to mushies so soon, but advised me to only have 2 tablesppons of any mushie during a 'planned eating event'. We talked about how I was food obsessed and ravenous, but it got better with me being at work. I could concentrate on other things, plus no food commercials to tempt me. But we found out I was eating WAY TOO LITTLE. I was eating only 3 times a day, 4-5 oz. I should be doing 4 oz every 2.5 hours on full liquids, then when I do mushies 4 oz every 3-4 hours. Their only concern with mushies was whipping up too much air into the food and having pain and advised me to watch it. As far as not feeling like I had any surgery, they said my surgery went very smooth with minimal incisions and manipulation, so they were not that shocked. So I am much relieved. So there is my update, meltdown documented, and I can move forward. Thanks for all the kind words and well sihes.

Best,

Steven

This is excellent news Steven.

We all make mistakes, I know I've made a good issue of my own. I'm not here to judge. I only want to state that if anyone else read this thread, please contact your Surgeon before trying to move on to the next stage before going off what was recommended on your plan. Most of the time your Nutritionist or Surgeon will allow this and give proper directions on how to go about it. As Steven mentioned, his Surgeon made certain suggestions, such as only 2 Tbsp at a time...

Otherwise, I'm glad everything turned out ok. We have our tummies to protect!! Pushing the limits can really cause serious physical problems to the likes of being hospitalized for months, in serious pain and can lead to the "d" word. Please all, take this very seriously.

Thanks LilMissDiva. I fel much more 'sane' and in control now that I am eating 'less in volume, but more frequently' during this Full Liquid/Mushie transition. My doc said I could start mushies today rather than Friday 9which is what my written plan says), but just to be on the safe side I am only going to do mushies for one 'meal' for a couple of days. It is just confusing/scary since my written plan seems much 'faster' than most other posters plans. Today is my 13th day out of surgery, yet i am ok'ed to go onto 'mushies', but most poster are just beginning full liquids at this point. No one wants to 'blow' their stiches and een though I have been ok'ed, I am still going to take it slow for a while.

You hear about it, but there until you experience relearing your body after surgery do you realize how difficult it can be. Your nerves ending are gone or wack-a-do, and your are trying to figure out, is that gas, or hung or just acid build up. But I will figure it out soon, I hope, LOL.

Thank you for you kind words!