Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All. Thanks for the thoughts and the prayers.

Surgrey went well but I found out that I do not do well on the pain meds. This was my first surgery. I had severe naseau the first 24 hours. Naseau meds didn't even touch it. Yuck. I was finally released at 9:30 last night after they stopped the pain meds and I could actually get down some Water. I couldn't wait to get home!!

Getting the water down is hard. It seems like that will be all we have time to do. Someone please tell when the drinking gets easier.

Dr. told me I could start thin protien shakes today. I am a little worried about that, I think I will wait a couple more days.

Oh, one more thing. I hate this stupid drain. It doesn't get taken out until next Tuesday. How do you take a shower with it??

Congratulations on your sleeve!

Around day 5 my drinking got easier. Up until then it felt like food getting stuck every time I tried to drink even just a little sip. I was drinking Isopure in the beginning... it let me get some Protein in while I was trying to get liquids in.

For the drain, I just worked around it best I could. It's only in for a little while so what I did was tape it to my body and then just wash around it. After the shower, I changed the bandages for fresh dry ones. Seemed to work for me.

Hi Susan!

Sorry that you are having such a rough time. I too, was sleeved on Monday. I, thankfully, did not have the nausea or vomiting. I started my ice chips and was able to tolerate them well.

They brought me my liquid tray,but I did not want it. I tried one bite of Jello, but the thought of food turns me off...BIG TIME!!

I was released Tuesday afternoon. Dr. said everything went well and I should be fine. Today was the first time I have actually eaten anything. I had some unjury chicken Soup. 1/4 cup for Breakfast. I have only done my water/ice since surgery. Dr. said to focus on liquids if I could not do anything else to keep from being dehydrated. I did try a popcycle yesterday and it was nasty to me, so i threw it in the trash!! I also took my Vitamins this a.m. and they seem to have gone down well.

I have TERRIBLE gas that I have had since I woke up from surgery. It is getting better, but is all up under my ribs and front of belly. I feel like it is hard to breathe. IT HURTS SOOOOO BAD!!! I can't pass it!! I tried Gas X and it is not helping. BOO HOO!

Other than that, I feel good. I am a little worried that I am not eating, but I guess it will pass!! LOL that is what i wanted,,,right??

Oh, I did not get a drain, sorry that you have to have one. I hear they are no fun. But, it should come out soon, huh?

Best of luck to you!

Kelly :D

Awww, the first week is the worst! I can't remember exactly when drinking got easier, but it was sometime after the first week. Just do the best you can and push those liquids! Don't worry too much about the Protein in the first week if you really can't face it. Isopure has a clear Liquid Protein that you can try. I didn't really like it, but it is a good clear option.

It is most important that you listen to your body - if you are clear for mushies and you have a hard time swallowing them stay in liquids and try again a couple of days later. The swelling goes down differently for eveyone.

Keep in touch with the board - that is how most of us got through the tough first weeks after surgery.

Hang in there!

Lara

I'm 8 days post and day 5 was much easier then it has gotten much easier for me with each day. I have no issues now and can drink bigger and more frequent gulps. I was shocked at how quickly this happened. You'll get there!

Hi Susan!

Sorry that you are having such a rough time. I too, was sleeved on Monday. I, thankfully, did not have the nausea or vomiting. I started my ice chips and was able to tolerate them well.

They brought me my liquid tray,but I did not want it. I tried one bite of Jello, but the thought of food turns me off...BIG TIME!!

I was released Tuesday afternoon. Dr. said everything went well and I should be fine. Today was the first time I have actually eaten anything. I had some unjury chicken Soup. 1/4 cup for Breakfast. I have only done my water/ice since surgery. Dr. said to focus on liquids if I could not do anything else to keep from being dehydrated. I did try a popcycle yesterday and it was nasty to me, so i threw it in the trash!! I also took my Vitamins this a.m. and they seem to have gone down well.

I have TERRIBLE gas that I have had since I woke up from surgery. It is getting better, but is all up under my ribs and front of belly. I feel like it is hard to breathe. IT HURTS SOOOOO BAD!!! I can't pass it!! I tried Gas X and it is not helping. BOO HOO!

Other than that, I feel good. I am a little worried that I am not eating, but I guess it will pass!! LOL that is what i wanted,,,right??

Oh, I did not get a drain, sorry that you have to have one. I hear they are no fun. But, it should come out soon, huh?

Best of luck to you!

Kelly :D

Thanks Kelly

I am glad things went great for you. Good to know what that horrible feeling is behind my ribs. I am doing better on my liquids today. I have been able to get down 32oz plus 6oz of Isopure. It seems like the warm green tea goes down easier. However, I warmed up some broth, took one bite and through it away.

My dr said not to worry about the nutrition/protien, "it's all around you, your body already has what it needs". I thought, "thanks alot".

Thanks Kelly

I am glad things went great for you. Good to know what that horrible feeling is behind my ribs. I am doing better on my liquids today. I have been able to get down 32oz plus 6oz of Isopure. It seems like the warm green tea goes down easier. However, I warmed up some broth, took one bite and through it away.

My dr said not to worry about the nutrition/protien, "it's all around you, your body already has what it needs". I thought, "thanks alot".

Girl you are not alone- I am pretty miserable too! I only had nausea in recovery- they got it dealt with and sent me to my room, However I was kept an extra day as I was required to get at least 500 ml of liquid in and I couldn't do it.

My discharge papers said- 64 ounces Water 75 grams protein- yeah, right! I am so glad to see above that everyone pretty much agreed that liquids can at first feel stuck going down- mine sure do.I will just trust it will get better. I stay on clears today plus Protein drinks if I want- then liquids tomorrow which adds yogurt, cottage cheese, cream soup-strained. I a thinking the taste of real food will help.

One of my issues s that aspartame, nutrisweet, and to an extent splenda ( ot nearly as bad just too sweet) do not agree with me so I need to get my fluids without too many calories. And to top it off- last night a swallow of warm Water made me vomit!

WE WILL GET THERE AND WE WILL ROCK OUR SLEEVES!

My belly is so bloated and feels so gassy. That is the only real issue that I have at this point. I am drinking fine and doing my liquids good today. I also started my period AGAIN. I just finished a week before surgery, but I guess it is normal to start again.!! BLAH!

I am SOO GASSY and can't seem to get rid of it! My butt is really numb and I itch everywhere. :D

Not too many side effects considering!! I do feel 100 times better than I did on Tuesday tho. I only took one nap today, so I know I am getting better.

I agree, that by this time next week, we will be ROCKIN' THESE SLEEVES!!

God Bless you!

Kelly ;)

I'm so sorry you guys are going through this! I wish I could hug you and be there to help you out. Unfortunately I can't make you poot. :rolleyes:

Hang in there, this is all going to be worth it when you're healthy and svelte. It's so awesome to see you so positive even when going through hell, you're all an inspiration to those of us that haven't been sleeved yet.

XOXO Renee`

I have alot of gas too, but I also have alot of pain still in my main incision - and if I let my pain meds wear completly off, I am hurtin bad for about 30 mins while waiting for them to work - I do feel its getting better -

I to am worried that I am not getting enough liquids in, because I just am not hungry, ever - so I have come up with a little plan that I turn the TV on, and when a comercial comes on I sip at each comercial, by the time the comercials are over, my tummy is full ( at least I think it is ) then when the next set of commericials come up I start sipping again - this seems to help in me remembering.

Well I cant sit here any longer, it hurts, so I will check back in later

My belly is so bloated and feels so gassy. That is the only real issue that I have at this point. I am drinking fine and doing my liquids good today. I also started my period AGAIN. I just finished a week before surgery, but I guess it is normal to start again.!! BLAH!

I am SOO GASSY and can't seem to get rid of it! My butt is really numb and I itch everywhere. :D

Not too many side effects considering!! I do feel 100 times better than I did on Tuesday tho. I only took one nap today, so I know I am getting better.

I agree, that by this time next week, we will be ROCKIN' THESE SLEEVES!!

God Bless you!

Kelly ;)

I was sleeved a month ago yesterday and I can happily tell you that you will feel better soon!! The first few days ARE miserable and who can blame anyone for thinking...WHAT did I do? But it gets so much better so quickly. I could have gone back to work by day 7 but I had the sick leave and had already arranged to be off so I took two weeks.

Don't worry about eating Protein for the first week or so...just get in whatever fluids work for you, Water, hot tea, cold tea, Vitamin waters, broth...doesn't matter...you just need to keep hydrated. None of us are likely to starve over a lack of Protein for a few weeks!! :P

Walking helped my gas pains more than anything and I paced around my house for hours when I didn't think I could tolerate outdoor clothes on my bloated tummy! I am sure it was NOT a pretty sight but I felt better when I was moving. Gas-X didn't really help me much. sleeping is hard for the first few days but having a number of pillows to prop myself up on helped me to get in a reasonably comfortable place to sleep. I didn't do well with the narcotic pains meds but the extra-strength tylenol worked fine. (I crushed them with MD's permission). I only used them for the first 3 or 4 days.

Depending on the type of drain that you have, you may be able to slip it into a zip lock bag...close it as much as you can and then tape the bag to your side over the drain exit site. It is awkward but it keeps stuff out of your way and kind of protected while you shower. Position so the open section of the zip lock bag is facing down and you won't get Water in the bag. You can also just forget the bag...tape the drain to your body and go! It isn't like it is sterile or anything...you just don't want to inadvertently hit and pull on it as that might hurt!!

Congratulations to all of you with new sleeves and believe me...a few weeks from now this will be a dim memory! For those you who have given birth...remember how during labor you SWORE you'd never have another child and a few days later it had all faded away? This is kind of like that! :D

I was sleeved a month ago yesterday and I can happily tell you that you will feel better soon!! The first few days ARE miserable and who can blame anyone for thinking...WHAT did I do? But it gets so much better so quickly. I could have gone back to work by day 7 but I had the sick leave and had already arranged to be off so I took two weeks.

Don't worry about eating Protein for the first week or so...just get in whatever fluids work for you, Water, hot tea, cold tea, Vitamin waters, broth...doesn't matter...you just need to keep hydrated. None of us are likely to starve over a lack of Protein for a few weeks!! :P

Walking helped my gas pains more than anything and I paced around my house for hours when I didn't think I could tolerate outdoor clothes on my bloated tummy! I am sure it was NOT a pretty sight but I felt better when I was moving. Gas-X didn't really help me much. sleeping is hard for the first few days but having a number of pillows to prop myself up on helped me to get in a reasonably comfortable place to sleep. I didn't do well with the narcotic pains meds but the extra-strength tylenol worked fine. (I crushed them with MD's permission). I only used them for the first 3 or 4 days.

Depending on the type of drain that you have, you may be able to slip it into a zip lock bag...close it as much as you can and then tape the bag to your side over the drain exit site. It is awkward but it keeps stuff out of your way and kind of protected while you shower. Position so the open section of the zip lock bag is facing down and you won't get Water in the bag. You can also just forget the bag...tape the drain to your body and go! It isn't like it is sterile or anything...you just don't want to inadvertently hit and pull on it as that might hurt!!

Congratulations to all of you with new sleeves and believe me...a few weeks from now this will be a dim memory! For those you who have given birth...remember how during labor you SWORE you'd never have another child and a few days later it had all faded away? This is kind of like that! :D

OMG this was so helpful! I swear I was so hard o myself for not being able to get Protein shakes in yesterday- I felt like a total failure. had been so carful to research and find some I loved before the surgery only to find they absolutely disgusted me after. Sigh.

Today I am setting my iPhone to go off every 15 munutes and drinking 2 ounces of anything- water, warm tea, the decafcoffeee/chocolate Protein Drink that tastes way better in the morning....any liquid I can. I will just focus on liquid instead of beating myself up that the things I liked just last week I can no longer drink without gagging and vomiting. All I can say is my husband will be buff from drinking all the things I have that I can no longer tolerate!

OMG this was so helpful! I swear I was so hard o myself for not being able to get Protein shakes in yesterday- I felt like a total failure. had been so carful to research and find some I loved before the surgery only to find they absolutely disgusted me after. Sigh.

Today I am setting my iPhone to go off every 15 munutes and drinking 2 ounces of anything- Water, warm tea, the decafcoffeee/chocolate Protein Drink that tastes way better in the morning....any liquid I can. I will just focus on liquid instead of beating myself up that the things I liked just last week I can no longer drink without gagging and vomiting. All I can say is my husband will be buff from drinking all the things I have that I can no longer tolerate!

Good for you Meggie! Be gentle with yourself and your new little tummy will let you know what it will tolerate and what it won't!!! :P Someone told me before surgery that the best plan is to sip, walk, repeat (Thanks Cheri!) and I swear that is 80% of what you need to know for the first few days.

Congrats!!!